1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie at Wide Receiver

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20071030-9999-1s30canepa.html

Untapped dynamo

Unleash Cromartie to wreak real havoc

[​IMG]

October 30, 2007

The Chargers have a weapon under their trench coat, and it's time for them to start using it for more than one or two shots a game. This is a machine-gun athlete. His name is Antonio Cromartie, and if he's not the most physically gifted player in the NFL – not to mention one of the swiftest – he's close enough, leaning at the tape.

A beaming Antonio Cromartie leaves the field Sunday after two interceptions and two touchdowns against Houston.
    Me, I'll put him up against anyone. He can do things athletically found only in comic books. No X-ray vision, maybe, but what say we put everything else he's got to work?
    Release Antonio Cromartie!

If you saw the second-year cornerback's performance Sunday vs. Houston – two interceptions, one returned for a touchdown, and another score after recovering a botched punt snap in the end zone – then you have an idea of what we're saying. But it was an iceberg tip.

This is a giant talent. Use him. Cromartie isn't J.D. Salinger, who became a recluse by design – because he was on his own – after a few novels. Cromartie works for somebody. And he wants to work more. So let him. What can it hurt?

Is it athletic arrogance? Maybe, but that's good. He knows what he has and wants to use it. Nothing wrong with that. And he reminds his coaches all the time. He's like a tireless athletic pest.

This is no small person. He's 6-2, 203 pounds. He shook my hand yesterday and I thought I was grabbing a Smithfield ham. As Don Coryell told me more than once: “He runs like a deer. Only a couple of these guys born every year.”

At the very least – and I mean very least – he should be returning kicks. He should be this team's Devin Hester.

“I'd love to run back kicks,” Cromartie said. “But we have a great kickoff and punt returner in Darren Sproles. I love blocking for him.”

So, on kickoff returns, use two of them. Put on some pressure. If you have a Porche, put some gasoline in it.

But we should see Cromartie – as the Bears have done with Hester, listed as a DB – used on the other side of the ball. Cromartie has been a receiver. It's not as if has to spend that much time away from his cornerback studies.

If coach Norv Turner puts him into his offense just a few times a game, Cromartie will be a major distraction. There isn't a corner in The League who can run with him. He'd have to be respected. He couldn't be left alone. Teams would have to prepare for someone that big and fast with a huge vertical leap.

Football is a game of matchups. So match him up with somebody who has little chance of handling his stuff.

When I approached Turner earlier this year about putting Cromartie in his offense, he chuckled, because Cromartie had been bugging him. But Turner had a good point, and still does. Last year's No. 1 draft choice still is trying to learn his position under fire. Cromartie, because of a severe knee injury, didn't play that much football at Florida State.

But Turner, who has had months to see what this athlete can do, appears to be changing his mind. Down the road, maybe not next Sunday in Minnesota (but why not?), Cromartie could line up with the offense. Pressure, man. Apply the pressure.

“There really is a chance now,” Turner said. “He likes to go out and run routes, anyway. He's an unbelievable athlete, and there's going to be a time when we can do something with him on offense.”

Upon hearing this, General Manager A.J. Smith said: “It's great that Norv admitted he's open to that. Norv is innovative, and we have a great athlete everybody talks about. That's why Chicago is doing it with Hester. It's a matchup thing.”

Exactly. Get the edge. Push, as they said in “The Right Stuff,” the outside of the envelope. Cromartie could be the outside.

When I asked Turner how often Cromartie approaches him for work on offense, he said: “Every day. He likes to go out and just run routes, anyway.”

Cromartie took it down a notch. Laughing, the likely NFL Defensive Player of the Week, said: “I ask him about three or four times a week. I tell him that I can throw a football about 70 yards. How about a reverse pass?

“If I get an opportunity, that would be great, but right now I'm concentrating on defense. I don't feel like I had a breakout game Sunday. It was more like a coming-out party. That's my biggest thing. I want to be the best cornerback in the NFL. That's my goal.”

Don't for a minute think quarterback Philip Rivers would mind seeing Cromartie lined up wide every so often.

“You can see why he was thought of so highly,” Rivers said. “I've thrown him passes in practice. :tup: It takes time to learn how to play cornerback in this league, but he'd be very dangerous on offense. He would be a weapon.”

Right. And weapons, supposedly – no? – are there to be used.

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    This article is severely overestimating Cro's athleticism and ability as a wide receiver and return man.

3. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    He was on Scott & BR yesterday talking about this as well. Not sure if he would get the ball, but might be a distraction in certain circumstances.

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'd love to see a corner like Champ Bailey try and keep up this guy.

Let him run Norv!!! :yes: :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    It would be interesting to see once or twice a game.

6. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148

How do you know this?

I will admit that the article seems to have been written by a friend of CroMo and is a little over the top...But, "severly overestimating" No way bro... I wouldn't have responded had you simply put, "over estimating"

CroMo is the fastest kid on the team and by far the best athlete. CroMo is a good find, and if we can add a wrinkle to the offense, I'm all for it.

7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    Let's see it! :tup:

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    He looks bigger than that
    I always thought he was in the 210-215 range :icon_huh:

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Interesting thought.
    Not a bad idea!!!

10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    If a team's top corner is on Cromartie, who are they going to have cover Gates & Chambers, not to mention LT out of the back field. Imagine the matchup problems with Cromartie, Gates, Chambers, & LT. Even if the ball doesn't go to Cromartie, how does a defense defend against that personnel grouping? Throw Manu in that group for additional protection or as a 5th option. Man would that be hard for a defense to deal with.

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I would love to see it! He is a scary open field runner. :icon_eek:

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I don't like it...

When Cro' can crack the starting lineup at CB, maybe we can consider giving him some real practice time at other positions... But, Sunday not withstanding, Cro isn't even a #2 CB yet. And we're going to put more on his plate? Give him fewer reps at CB? :no:

No thank you. If he were the best CB on our team and didn't need another year of practice at the position, I'd say sure lets think about it. But he still needs a lot of experiencing and coaching at this level before he's going to be great at his natural position.

Furthermore you know he's going to be a cornerstone of our D when D Flo leaves and I do not want him getting fatigued because he's on the field for every kick return, punt return, defensive snap, plus a half a dozen offensive snaps. And I do not want to deal with the increased risk of him getting hurt 'cause he's on the field twice as much.

It's not a terrible idea... just not one that I care for.

13. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Hell Yeah !!!

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    NO!
    He's finally playing well at CB, I'm not going to make him learn soemthing new

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    The dude is a playmaker. He was sickly fast on that first pick. Get him in on more plays. Norm is a dumbass. Get him in on kickoffs first off where he can fly.

Not a big fan of him on offense but throwing him in for a play or two a game as a way to throw the D off balance has some merits. Good decoy. Send Chambers and Cro wide right to go for broke while Gates fills in the space of their wake.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't see how that can be said when no one has really seen what he is capable of doing at those positions. Very optimistic - yes. But with his speed & athleticism, he might be well worth a look.

I've been a proponent of keeping him at the position he was drafted to play, but a few appearances in the offensive mix might not be such a bad idea. Like the man said - weapons are weapons & meant to be used.

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    As long as it doesn't cost him any reps at CB I don't see why not. The Pats have their players play on both sides, it isn't a bad thing to have some versatility.

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree. I think he would be a hell of WR. Yet another weapon opposing D's will have to worry about. I bet he goes after the ball better than VJ does....:yes:

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Isn't that why we drafted Buster? I'd be more willing to experiment like this if Davis doesn't pan out, but that eventuality isn't even on the horizon yet. Parker will be back, and that will change the calculus as well.

20. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    As a decoy that would be cool. Maybe a few passes here and there in the season on a deep route. I'd really rather him concentrate on being a DB. He has much more ability and promise as a DB than Hester of Chicago. If Hester couldn't return kicks, he might not even have a job in the NFL right now.

21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I agree with this. He should ABSOLUTELY be used on kick returns. Sproles does not have the gas and even his 'shifty moves' are not gettin it done. Always look on him as a bit of a pin ball and worry every time he gets smashed that he's gonna drop the ball. I'd like to see him used in the offense more though.

Not sure Cro would have the hands for WR, but as a decoy or used on reverses I'd like to see it. For too long we have not used our real athletes the way some other teams do. Too often are they bracketed (esp by Marty) as a CB or whatever and not considered for anything else.

22. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    cro returned one pretty darn far upfield if not all the way last year didnt he??

23. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah. I was damn sure he'd take it all the way back.

I like Sproles, but I think Cro would be a better guy for returning kicks. Although... I'm completely fine with Sproles being the return man.

But, I think Cro has all the potential to be a top corner in this league and I think it could be in our best interests to just use him as a corner for the time being. I would like to see him in some offensive plays, just for the hell of it.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Cro's big return was @ home vs. Oak last year, and he came pretty close to scoring.

25. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Why not?

Dude is fast as hell. Two-three plays a game running a nine route, with maybe one pass thrown. It makes the other team scheme to cover him, and possibly pulls a safety out of the box to help out a CB.

If they pull a safety out, then a draw to LT.

If they leave the safety in the box, playaction and let it rip to Cro on the "Go" ....

26. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Saw Acee in his blog saying Cro has had trouble learning the nuances of CB as one reason not to have field kickoffs.

Thing is he is on kickoffs but on the defensive side of the ball. This I don't understand. Seems being on the cover team would have a lot more to learn and be a bigger distraction than on the fielding side.

He is fast yes but tackling doesn't seem to be his forte. We have seen him a few times as the first man to the ball carrier and on the same play be the last man to catch the ball carrier 60 yards later after he picked up his jock.

The man is a deer and a natural runner. Let him run Norv god dammit.

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    He isn't a big hitter thats for sure, so getting the ball to him a few times a game may not be a bad idea.:bolt:

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If that's the case then the shift should be complete, with Oliver the guy to play the Corner, or a good free agent. With Chambers and Gates, Cromartie would create true havoc with that receiving corps. One or the other at this point for me. Tackling can be learned, as we have seen with the other DB's this season. The decision of one or the other should be made immediately after the last game, whenever that is, so his off season can be devoted to developing the requisite skills he will need. I would not make him a receiver unless I knew I had someone who could equal or exceed him at corner. Force feeding him two positions would be counter productive.

29. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Maybe if our WRs saw more pass attempts than our CBs... :unsure: