1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CROMARTIE BLAMES THE ZONE COVERAGE CALLS FOR HIS BAD PLAY VS. STEELERS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Haterproof2020, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Haterproof2020

Haterproof2020 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Just read this on the bleacher report and wanted to know if this was true or not, who got his twitter to confirm that?

"Yesterday, Cromartie posted a message on Twitter blaming the zone defense employed by Norv Turner and the Chargers for his struggles against the Steelers. I am almost willing to buy the excuse, but even I can't put all the blame on Norv Turner or Ron Rivera for this one."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ie-from-rookie-sensation-to-utter-frustration

2. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Probably not the brightest nor the most tactful thing an underperforming NFL player can do...blame the coach in public. Not to toot the Patriots horn too loudly, but Belichick would never tolerate that kind of nonsense...the guy would be on instant waivers. That's kind of like heresy...only different.

No player should be allowed to air team laundry outside the locker room, IMO. Only a weak system allows that sort of thing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    As I said in various other posts,

CROMARTIE IS A ONE HIT WONDER FROM 2007.

(Kind of like Kajagoogoo from the 80's) :icon_rofl:

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I happen to agree.....partially.

Cromartie is one of the most physically gifted corners in the league. He may not be good at jamming recievers but he can keep up with almost anyone one on one. On the other hand he doesn't seem to understand zone coverage, he plays the field like he's reading a graph and completely lacks instinct for where the ball is going. So I feel man-man is best with Cromartie, but getting lost in zone coverage is his own problem.

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Good players make mistakes, learn from them and move on so they can improve and stop making them.

The others, well they keep making excuses why they can’t stop making mistakes.

6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I say who gives a ****...Frankly I am tired of all the whining by the players and the fans...

This Cromartie hate is old, im tired of hearing about how he is a one year wonder but in the one year everyone was on his jock. And then we go through a year where he is injured almost the whole year and we get no pressure on the QB and ever since then he all the sudden sucks....and because they have him playing 15 yards off the ball you guys expect both him and Jammer to create miracles when the fact is our safeties suck even worse. I heard the same things the 2nd and 3rd year out of Charger fans about Jammer and now most can't get his balls out of their respective mouths.

Im tired of him talking **** about the team on twitter. I'm tired of him placing the blame out in public on other people. I am tired of hearing about it everywhere I go, when he does.

If Cromartie is still getting torched like he is now when we are getting to the QB then I will start to think he is a dud. Because right now after what I saw sunday night Jammer, Hart, Weddle, and yes even Cason who missed like 3 tackles are all in the same boat.

It happens guys when you run a 3-4 and cannot get to the QB. We haven't been able to since Merriman went down. Which tells me how good the rest of that line outside of Jamal Williams really is.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Cromartie is as gifted as a horses ***. Dude needs to be benched and get his pay cut. If it weren't for him.......... fawk it. the dude sucks.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Dude needs a serious wake up call.

Bench him.

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    His tweet was like 30min after the game in response to all the hate messages he had received from followers.

As soon as I read I thought "Oh ****, he's gonna get it"

It was clearly a (poor) attempt to explain to the crazies out there why the Steelers were picking us apart underneath. His words tho, were definitely not so eloquent and while he subsequently deleted the tweets the damage was done. I imagine Ron had some choice words for him, I haven't seen too much football wise from him since on twitter. Hopefully this will teach him (again?) to keep his tweets to himself when he's upset about something.

It's interesting - when all is well having access to your fans is a good thing but I can't imagine it's much fun when things start going all wrong. You should see some of the nasty filthy things people are sending to the players on twitter and on the many forums around the web. It has gone far far beyond being critical of the team and their play - I think people forget they are human and while we as fans who essentially pay their salaries have the right to our opinions there is a big difference between having an opinion and going off the deep end.

I hope they all step away from the keyboards - circle the wagons and just focus on the team for a bit... letting crazytown get to you never turns out well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Twitter will bring about the Apocalypse. :lol:

And Cromartie is, frankly, a very physically gifted idiot.

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Cromartie just needs to take responsibility for his bad playing instead of pointing fingers saying it is someone else fault on his Twitter Page.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    D-R-C is also having a horrible sophomore slump. Both these guys at one point looked to be future top 5 corners in this league, now they'll both be lucky to make more than they did on their rookie contracts.

If we didn't need him for depth reasons I'd say trade him for a good D-linemen or a draft pick next year. But in the AFC you need 3 good corners, and Cromartie is still better than anyone in free agency.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    As has been said, by others & myself - I really think that Cro is better suited in the nickel slot. Give Cason a shot opposite Jammer. Get Hart the hell off the field.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Cromartie is incapable of accepting criticism and blame for his part. Since early 2008 he's been beaten repeatedly like he stole something. It looks more and more like 2007 was a fluke year (which ironically enough AJ's grabbing Cason is looking genius).

I can't stand people who blame the entire world around them for their faults without ONCE accepting blame himself.

Last year it was a hip injury (but boy he could play every week and it didn't stop him from stupid mistakes)
    And now its rivera's scheme

He's a putz and he'll lose his spot

15. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Really? I think you might want to go back and watch this years games.....Cason has looked just as bad, and to be honest outside of the Miami game Jammer hasn't looked all that impressive either.

It's not the scheme. He is wrong about that. It's the fact that these corners are having to play 15 yards off the ball because we get no pressure up front.

I'll say it again. YOU CAN'T RUN A 3-4 IF YOU GET NO PRESSURE UP FRONT ON THE QB. DB'S CANNOT COVER WR'S IN THIS LEAGUE FOR 7-8 SECS ON EVERY PLAY.

Just look at Pittsburgh once they started sitting on the lead and not blitzing. Rivers torched them for like 200 yards in 16 mins.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Oh I'll agree that few of the corners have looked good lately. But even if you play 15 yds off the ball, THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU LOSE TRACK OF THE RECEIVERS AND LET THEM GET 15 YDS BEHIND YOU! I can't count how many times the receivers have ended up behind cromartie or way to any side of Cromartie that you can't blame 15 yds on.

17. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Cromartie has no football IQ. Zero. The only reason he was successful that one year is because the pass rush was so intense QBs were off with their timing and accuracy. Let him walk.

18. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    And this is what this thread is about.

The Cro is eating pie after one good year and two doing his fish out of water act, all floppin' around and stuff. :icon_tease:

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup. That is what many fans do not understand.

You can put the worlds best players in the secondary and there is no way in hell they will succeed given the QB has all day to throw the ball. The natural tendency is to say they all suck. Well that is fan ignorant except in a forum. :yes:

20. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    First off Cromartie had TWO PI penalties against him. Second when he was near his guy, not playing off, he still got turned around more than a couple of times. Maybe Cro is better man to man, but I saw him get confused more than a couple of times. I don't think he is able to cover his guy.

What bothers me is our defenders aren't holding them up before 5 yards. Getting a hand to set them off their route would help our D.

In regards to response about no pressure. WE have Castillo. Thats it. NO JW, NO IGOR (sorry no one in there is as good as him). Igor got bashed, but even playing at half strength he is better than the FA castoffs and the UDFA we have now.

We have 1/3rs of a D-line and the rest cycled in by two old backups/non starters, one guy who played in canada, and an UDFA.

Problems is less coaching, and more players. If AJ Smith picked up top ranked beef last couple of drafts we would of won against the Ravens and Steelers. Simple as that.

21. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    but what about those passes that were completed in under 4 seconds, shouldn’t a Charger Defensive player be close to the receiver.

22. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I am pretty sure I saw Jammer and Cason no where to be found all night too....

I watch Jammer and Cason get abused by Hines Ward on multiple occassions.

However, because Cro made a stupid mistake he is the only one to blame? Why has no one talked about Jammer and Cason playing like ****? Cason looked just as bad tackling as Cro does.

The best corners in the league don't shut down everyone on every play even if it's 4 seconds. Champ Bailey who is widely regarded as the best corner in the league often gets beat like a rented mule.

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Jammer and Cason both don't make the quantity or quality of the screw ups and then they (as well as a champ bailey) know when they have bad games to shut up and keep working hard. Something that is completely oblivious to Antonio Cromartie

24. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205

Cason got ***** smacked by Ward, apparently got lost after the hit, and Ward kept frolicking through our defense on one play, I think he did the same to Jammer on another.

Cro is just a little shittier, that's all. Ive seen Jammer make big hits, and I've seen Cason play up on a receiver, can't say the same for Cro, but yeah, you're right, plenty of blame to spread around.

Biggest separation factor is the bonehead penalties, and what appears to be just lack of football knowledge.

25. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Again but because he makes his point known to the public then he is widely ***** at by everyone.

But your beloved GM does it and he is a god saint.

If you are just gonna run around and post right after I do and combat everything ill say, lets just go into another room and do it cause this will go no where.

We all know that you have a man crush on AJ, and think that he does no wrong. And that the players are all to blame for the mess with the team.

But they make screw ups Ant.....This is a team effort from the front office all the way down to the players. Sorry to tell you bro but Cromartie didnt give up 497 yards of offense the TEAM did.

His twittering **** needs to stop but so does out GM talking **** too.

THE PLAYERS, THE COACHES, AND THE FRONT OFFICE ARE ALL TO BLAME.

26. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I have also seen Cromartie pick off 10 balls in a season in the same postion Cason is in....

It's all relative. All im saying and see you get it...so im not trying to be redundant is that there was more to Cromartie's bonehead plays and lack of coverage to us giving up 497 yards.

27. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    No sheet bro, if you give up 500 yards, you got more than one week link that's for damn sure.

I think Cromartie is a victim of his own publication somewhat. Cason hasn't been a starter or given a chance to start as of yet, and Jammer is making plays on the ball, so naturally it's easiest to target Cro and Hart in the dbackfield first.

28. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i dont wanna hear about his *** trying to improve, at this point, everything everyone says (except rivers basically) is empty promises. even from our leaders. just ****in do it. jesus.

29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I think Cromartie is still listening to Peion Deion as too how great he is, and how many Interceptions he is going to make.

30. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    :tup: Yes ever since he hooked up with Deion Sanders he has been so much less aggressive against the pass....Agreed.