1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie claims the Jets are the NFL version of the Miami Heat.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by !~BOLT~!, Sep 8, 2010.

1. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Heard it on ESPN a few minutes ago.

If that's the case Cro, you are the Dexter Pittman of the NFL.

2. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    What a crock...

Cromartie also claims eleven dependents on his tax return.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Well, after all Daniel Snyder has had such great success buying a championship in DC ...uh.... oh wait...never mind. :lol:

4. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    It’s actually a pretty good comparison ….all the Heat did was retain their own superstar, and sign a couple of talented big name players from other teams who have yet to win anything, despite lofty expectations.

5. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Not really, the Heat signed one of the best individual players the game has ever seen in his prime. The Jets got a 31 year old lt, and Holmes. The Cro signing was only good to those who think of the highlight reel from three years ago when they think of Cromartie.

6. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    True, but aside from a couple of NBA MVP awards, exactly what has LeBron James ever won?

Kobe Bryant, Tony Parker, Dwayne Wade, Paul Pierce, Chauncey Billups and many other “lesser” players are wearing rings, and all LeBron currently has is a few individual awards & his self appointed title as “The King” but the other players I mentioned were able to improve the effectiveness of their teammates, and lead their teams to championships and James has yet to demonstrate the ability to do any of that, much like our beloved LT.

7. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    That's not saying much. Both teams are overhyped and haven't done **** yet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    What Helljumper said. :tup:

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    OMG they are so damn diluded.

I wonder what we'll hear after they start out 0-2. I know I'm taking Baltimore on Monday.

10. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    We will agree for the most part and differ slightly. If it's rings you want look no further than our beloved San Diego Padres, Eckstein, Garland, Hairston all have rings, but I would have been much more excited if we brought in a Josh Hamilton. Lebron has not won a ring, but he is "arguably" the best player in the NBA and the only reason I say arguably is because Kobe just keeps kicking. Considering their ages, I would take Lebron in a heartbeat.

The Jets did not bring one single solitary player in that is anywhere near the best at their position in their respective sport. That's the huge difference. Now throw in Wade (with a ring) and Bosh and that's a hellova three headed monster. I would take those three vs any of the three you mentioned in a 3v3 any day.

11. ShockTheWorld

ShockTheWorld BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    The only thing the Jets and Heat have in common is they haven't played a official game yet. :D

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    They have 3 of the top 5 2003 draft picks, this is in no way the same. Quality, my friend is the key.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Who on the Jets has a ring other than Holmes?

14. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Very true….

The Jets snuck up on a lot of teams last season with their rookie head coach & quarterback, having the league’s top rushing attack & defense and they still needed both the Colts & Bengals to rest key players at the end of the season to allow them to finish 9-7, and sneak into the playoffs. Miami beat them twice and the Brandon Marshall will make the Dolphins a lot more dangerous. This season, the Jets are not sneaking up on anybody and I expect them to come crashing back down to Earth big time!

The Heat have been collecting big name players, but the Lakers are the reigning back-to-back NBA Champions and they’re still intact, ready to embark on one final title run with this current cast of characters and they’re still my pick, until they are dethroned.

Me too, Baltimore has always been great on defense but they really improved their offensive capability this offseason as well – they are one of the few teams in the AFC that really “concern” me.

I’m kinda surprised that the notoriously “frugal” Padres brought in a top flight pitcher like Jon Garland, but David Eckstein & Jerry Hairston Jr are the exact type of budget friendly free agents that we are used to seeing from our front office.

I think the big difference is the new owners, they want to win and seem willing to do what is necessary to do so, evidenced by their bringing in 2 much needed playoff proven, veteran bats at the trading deadline in Tejada & Ludwig.

With our starting pitching & bullpen being some of the best in the majors, a good mix of proven vets & eager young players, along with the fact that the NL will have home field advantage in the World Series, we just could be looking at something surprisingly special this season, despite the fact that we currently have the 2nd lowest payroll in MLB.

They still have to prove it, if titles were won on paper based mainly on offseason free agent acquisitions, then Dan Snyder would possess multiple rings, and Jerry Jones would have many more of them than he currently does.. The Celtics are a playoff proven championship caliber team in the Eastern conference, the Magic are right on the doorstep and the Bulls are waiting in the wings…Carmelo Anthony could go to any one of those teams and put them a lot closer to the top of their conference then they are now, and the West still has the Lakers, Spurs & Mavericks.

15. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    They're both overrated and hated by most of the nation.

Although the Heat have more potential imo.

16. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    If I were to take any one player to build a team around it would be either Wade (dude is clutch and is the reason the Heat won their 1st Championship) or Durant (He showed a lot of leadership even with a young inexperienced team, tough luck facing a tough Laker team). Kobe is getting up there in age (really the only reason he isn't the guy that and the health issues) but he's still the best or one of the best. Lebron is probably the most talented/skilled player in the league but he hasn't shown the ability to lead his team when things are tough.

Lebron is still young though, so he has time to prove people wrong.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Just like nearly all other sports, it takes a complete team to win. One guy, not even Jordan, could win a championship with crap around him. Kobe couldn't win crap without Shaq until the Lakers traded for that shaggy dog flopper. LeBron couldn't win either with garbage around him

18. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    You're right, they do have to prove it. And I never jump into hype surrounding offseason moved unless it involves the Chargers or Padres in which case I can't help but get excited to see big moves. This Miami Heat team however is a completely different animal, and the masses were right when this news broke, this is the only time I would ever agree to crown a team prior to the season. I know a lot can happen with injuries and chemistry and whatnot but these are 3 top five picks in the same NBA draft who are in their prime, buddies, and individually very dominant in a 5 man sport.

I will crown the Heat now, and eat crow later if I'm wrong. No one of worthy note has crowned the Jets that I've seen. Mooch actually picked the Chargers over the Cowboys in the SB this year. As much pub they get you would think they'd have the preseason lombardi all wrapped up but that's not the case. Cromartie was insinuating the Jets are like the Heat in the sense that they are loaded with superstars in the prime of their careers, or that they are everyone's favorite thanks to their offseason, neither are true, and he's still a *******.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    So Maybe they're like the LA Lakers of 2003-2004 - the team where they brought in Payton and Malone to join Kobe and they lost the championship

20. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I am sick of hearing about the Jets. The Saints are overplayed, but at least they have won something. WTF have the Jets done? They have a fat loud mouth coach and they signed some cast off players from other teams. Sanchez is still their QB, they are not going anywhere this season. I have a friend that is a LB for the Ravens. I will send him my support to put a beatdown on these overated scrubs.

21. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Yet, only Kobe Bryant can be argued to be on the same level as LeBron James.

the difference between James and those you listed are the players' respective teammates, not the players themselves.

Give LeBron James Pau Gasol, Ron Artest, Derek Fisher, Lamar Odom, and Phil "best HC of all time" Jackson and you think he's still sitting at home for the NBA Finals?

And now he has Wade and Bosh alongside him. While I'm not going to crown them like the media is you're fooling yourself if you think they're not the favorites to at least win the East.

22. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I agree. Watching the Jets lose this season would be one of the better story lines of the year. Of course, that means I will have to root for the Dolphins because I sure don't want to Patriots winning either.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I have no problem hoping the Dolphins win the AFC East.

24. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    It is a good comparison.

Both teams spend money loading their team up with players who are big name, but they have no idea if they will mesh in the system. Sure it has more potential success in the NBA then football. Sure Cro isn't that much better overall than strickland. LT isn't better then the RB he replaced. Sure they lost a good kicker and a pro bowl OL men. Nevermind it is nothing the Heat. The Jets just paid a lot of money for really only one upgrade at the WR position the rest might be slightly better replacements for what they lost.

25. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    As good as Lebron is and as hard it is for me to believe this, I think that Lebron is a role player. Meaning his role is just to play, not to lead, not to necessarily make big plays all the time because it isn't his team. It's Wade's team.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The difference between the Jets' big names and the Heat's big names is that the Heat's big names are still in their prime and are not over-hyped.

Am I to assume the Jets equivalents are Revis (James), LT (Bosh), and Cromartie (Wade)? (feel free to mix and mash the specific comparisons there, that's not important to my ensuing point)

James is arguably the best at the game and Revis is arguably the best at his position, but that's where the comparison stops. (And even then, James has much more control over the overall outcome than Revis does)

Bosh and Wade are both in their prime and both still very good whereas LT is well past his and Cro was a one year wonder who can't tackle.

The only question with the Heat is whether or not the three (and their teammates) work together well as a team, but as individuals they deserve all the hype.

The Jets' big names are not on the same level even on that regard.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    As far as writing LeBron off as a loser because of his empty fingers, let's not forget it took Michael Jordan 7 years to get his first ring.

LeBron is still ringless after 7 years but I don't think it's highly inconceivable to presume it takes him just one year longer. (Not that I want to see that, being a Lakers fan and all)

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think you mean dilaudid

29. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    There is no comparison. When you have 5 guys on the court and 3 of the 5 are truly dominant at their respective positions juxtaposed to having 11 guys on both offense and defense where say a few of these guys are impact players but not necessarily the best at their respective positions right now, there is no comparison.

30. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I can see the Heat winning a championship but it'll be because of Wade. Like someone else said I think Lebron is more comfortable as a role player (obviously a very talented one) than the guy carrying the team, Wade has always been a leader.