1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie compares himself to Adrian Wilson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Joy Division, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Apparently this guy was good enough to make it onto the Steelers practice squad after going undrafted. I just laughed because..well, Cromartie and the term "physical player" just makes my brain do a double-take.

Draft Diamond: Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith, UTEP
    Written by Justin Van Fulpen Tuesday, 06 April 2010 02:55

UTEP safety Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith is a physical player, one who likes to hit you and would rather take on contact than avoid it.

“I like to be physical. I like to play in the box and I don’t worry about taking on pulling offensive linemen,” said Cromartie-Smith. “I like to read the play and then attack it, kind of like safety Adrian Wilson (of the Arizona Cardinals).”

Cromartie-Smith, as a junior, was second on the team in tackles with 77. He also had two tackles for losses, a sack, and a pair of interceptions. This past season he led the team with 108 total tackles and had four tackles for loss and an interception.

Even with a productive college career, Cromartie-Smith knows he can get better.

“I have been training and working to be more flexible…being able to flip my hips and change directions better,” he said. “I also know I need to work on my ball skills to become a better all-around player.”

Cromartie-Smith did something rare in these days of getting ready for pro days and the NFL Combine; he trained at UTEP by himself and had some great results at his pro day. He was 6’11/2”, 206 pounds, ran the 40 yard dash in 4.46 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.47 seconds, and the three-cone drill in 7.24 seconds. He measured a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9’9” broad jump and did 20 bench press repetitions at 225 pounds.

“I just trained at school because I wanted to finish my degree. That was important to me,” said Cromartie-Smith. “I did lift with a friend and mainly I wanted to work on the 40-yard dash and the bench press.”

There were many who questioned whether Cromartie-Smith belonged at the next level as he headed into the Texas vs. the Nation Game. Those questions were quickly answered.

“I wanted to see how I would do against a higher level of competition, and at the Texas vs. the Nation Game, it gave me the ability to check that out,” said Cromartie-Smith. “After being there with all the guys, I knew I could play at next level and it made me push myself even harder.”

Cromartie-Smith can play at the next level where he will be taking on contact rather than avoiding it.

(It's like this guy is kind of ashamed of the bad rap that "Cro" has been giving the Cromartie name).

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    So is this guy a half brother/cousin or something?.....

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Prolly one of his kids. (Think hot tub time machine cuz I'm pretty sure Wilson is older)

anddddd that's a damn insult to Adrian Wilson.

4. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60

Too right. Talking bull obviously runs in the family

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Why do these people insist on using Cromartie in their names? Don't they get it? :lol:

6. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Guarantee before he had any thought of making it to the NFL his last name was simply "Smith".

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Just like the Rodgers guy. I bet he regrets it. I bet Cro will change his name to Cromartie-Rodgers. :icon_rofl: