1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie delivers number 10

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers.com

As Antonio Cromartie peeled himself from the turf Sunday afternoon following his third-quarter interception, he thought about breaking into the hula dance he’s pulled out on various occasions this season. Then he paused, smiled and headed to the sideline.

“Voting is done now,” Cromartie said, referring to the Pro Bowl.

Cromartie will find out Tuesday afternoon whether or not his NFL-best 10 interceptions are enough to send him to the Pro Bowl in just his second professional season. One thing that was determined Sunday afternoon is Cromartie’s place in the team record books.

When the Florida State product went up and grabbed a Jon Kitna pass out of midair, it was his 10<SUP>th</SUP> theft of the season, establishing a new single-season team record. It was a nice accomplishment for the team’s 2006 first-round pick, but he promises that he’s not finished.

“Records come and go,” Cromartie said. “The biggest thing for me is to continue to be consistent and play how I’m supposed to play.”

Cromartie’s interception was one of five by the Chargers Sunday afternoon, pushing their league-leading team total to 27 on the season. That’s the most they’ve had as a team since they posted 28 in 1979.

Prior to the season, Cromartie set a personal goal to reach 10 interceptions. While that may have seemed like a lofty goal to many people, Cromartie never doubted he could get there. Sunday afternoon he did.

“I believed it,” said Cromartie, who also recovered a fumble on a kickoff Sunday. “You don’t put down goals that you want to achieve unless you believe. I put down goals that I know I can reach and just go out and play every week.”

While his sudden ascension has been one of the many bright stories surrounding the Chargers this season, neither Cromartie nor any of his teammates are surprised with the way he’s playing.

“He’s something,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “I’ve known ever since he’s been here that he had it in him to make those type of plays. You knew once he got going making them that you get that confidence and you just feel like you’re going to make those kind of plays every week. He’s doing that.”

Sunday marked the third-consecutive game in which Cromartie has recorded an interception. He has four picks in his last three games, and more importantly, the Chargers are 6-0 this season in games in which Cromartie records an interception.

“He’s got such great ball skills,” said Head Coach Norv Turner. “He’s got such great speed and athletic ability. I can’t say enough about Cromartie and the way he’s played.”

Cromartie narrowly missed another takeaway that would have given him his fourth multi-interception game this season. On the final play of the first half, Kitna lofted a Hail Mary to the Chargers’ goal line that Cromartie got his hands on. Instead of trying to put the ball away, Cromartie swiped at the ball in hopes of getting it to the ground. It instead fell into the hands of Calvin Johnson, who was knocked down one-yard shy of the end zone as time expired in the quarter.

“I was just trying to get the ball out and throw it on the ground,” Cromartie said. “If I had pulled it to my chest I probably could have caught it, but in that situation you’re just trying to bat it down. I’m just glad he didn’t score.”

In his postgame interviews, Cromartie used the phrase “having fun” roughly a dozen times within about a five minute period. On Tuesday, he’ll find out if he’ll say “Aloha” to more fun in Hawaii.

“We’ll see,” Cromartie said. “I can’t think too much about it. It would be special, but I’m preparing every week and having some success. Hopefully it will continue. That’s all I’m worried about.”

2. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    A few years ago, I could never imagine having a league leading interception totals. I love it.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    not just the player but the team itself
    Its amazing that last year we absolutely dominated in sacks, but this year we dominate in takeaways, and I'd swear I think this defense is better then the one we had last year

4. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    "Voting is done now." :lol:

That is a smart kid.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cro should be doing the hula in February, hopefully as part of the 2007 NFL Champs!!! :tup:

This kid really is something, & seems to have a great attitude & work ethic to go along with the MONSTER athletic ability.

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Said it a few weeks ago that we have not had a talent like his at CB in decades, but I think I was wrong.

I don't think we have had a CB on this team as talented as him, ever.

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Nope and not that I can remember.

This team has more number one dudes at the key spots than any team ever assembled.

Last year, I said the same thing.

The Chargers have upped the ante.

8. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'm pretty sure Cro is something like 6'2 but it seems like he plays bigger than that and is really learning how to use his height. :tup:

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Happy holidays BDH! Wish you were at the game yesterday! It was rockin!:tup:

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Don't ask Raiders fans though. I've encountered a few on other forums that feel the Chargers are on a decline while they are on the way up. :lol: If they are on the way up, it is by virtue of the Chiefs and Broncos. :yes:

11. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Video of Cromartie's 10 picks

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OQyTchsGzZQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OQyTchsGzZQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Agreed. The overall play is better than last year because of the gains made by the secondary. We could not have said this in the first half of the season, but these guys are now peaking above their best levels of last season. If they continue the same trajectory, New England will have more than their hands full. Their pants will be, too.

13. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Shoulda stayed in the endzone after his first pick against the Colts, but whatever.

I'm definitely buying a Cromartie jersey. I think he's a champ and a half. More of a champ than Champ Bailey even.

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    [​IMG]

...just put a cape on him....

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Great shot! :tup:

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Video of Cromartie's 10 picks

Thanks for posting Ray. Great video.

17. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    The guy is just awsome. His growth was something I was really hoping to see since the end of last year. For years one of our biggest weaknesses was in the secondary. Now we got a guy out there that qb's are going to be afraid to throw against and on the other side is Jammer, who's just been getting consistently better the last 2 or 3 seasons. Congrats Cro. You certainly earned your probowl bid, but you still gotta get us a ring.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thanks Ray!!!!!

That was awesome!!! :tup:

19. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    How many picks will Cro get against Cutler this week ?

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    How does four sound?

21. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Up up and away................I can fly I can fly.............

22. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Merry Christmas Mr. Cromartie,

[​IMG]

23. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Something else worth bring up, is I saw Cro make a couple of nice tackles in space. People questioned his tackling ability, and I think that he has done a good job as a starter.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thank goodness he didn't study Prime Time for tackling pointers!!! :lol:

I like the way that Cro pushes himself to excel - studies film, works out hard, sets high expectations. :tup:

Better get him signed long-term before we can't afford it!!!