1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie eyes interception record, highest-paid CB in NFL?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by reg, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If anyone in the league can do it, Cro can. And run back 8+ for TD's. :tup:

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    The INT's will be come, but his focus needs to always be on being in the right position to defend the ball and make the necessary tackle. He'll get burned if always gambles for the pick.

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
  4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Who is this Cromartie guy? When did we pick him up? Is he any good?

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I heard he's the second coming of Sammy Davis. :yes:

6. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

I agree...and factor in the fact that teams will be throwing his way a lot less this season, I dont see 15 being all that probable.

I would love to see him get 10, but not at the sake of giving up big plays for the sake of getting his Sportscenter on.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080807-9999-1s7chargers.html

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 7, 2008

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Now that he's starting this entire season, we'll really see what he's got!!! :bolt:

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Id rather see his goal to be winning a superbowl. I hope he doesnt get burned by going for a int when he could bat a pass down.

In anycase, it should be fun to watch our secondary this year.

10. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    the guy will be the pinnacle of "coverage defensive back" sideline to sideline baby.

11. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    With any other corner I've ever watched I would scoff at the idea of 15 picks. Cromartie is the only corner I have ever seen who makes me think he actually might be able to challenge that goal. I don't think I've ever watched a guy who so consistently seemed to grab an interception every game. I know he didn't get one in every start, but for every start he had where he didn't have one he had a start where he had two or three. And then for him to carry that over into the playoffs against Manning and Brady... and again in the pro bowl... I mean, the guy only started 12 games when you include the playoffs and pro-bowl in there, and he had 14 friggin picks. There are wide receivers who don't put up 14 receptions in 12 games.

It wouldn't surprise me if Cromartie plays fantastic football all year long and only ends up with 5 or 6 picks just because QB's will stay away from him. But it also wouldn't shock me to see him put up double-digits again. He's that uncanny.

• Like Like x 1
  12. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    He is uncanny in the fact that he has a great nack for the ball and reading the receiver. There in, imo, lies his greatest ability. Anticipation.

Note to QB. Throw that shite his way...go ahead.

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    He's an excellent complement to Jammer at this point in his career. Jammer's always been about as close as you can get to perfect when it comes to blanketing his receiver... but his lack of ball awareness was so acute early in his career that receiver would catch balls that were literally inches from Jammer's face because Quentin just wouldn't turn his head. Quarterbacks figured out that there wasn't much risk in throwing to Jammer's side, and even though he's never given up a ton of big plays he rarely made any himself. Jammer has improved considerably in that regard, and even though he still doesn't grab a lot of picks he makes it so that throwing to his man is pretty futile by batting down a lot more throws than he used to.

Cromartie doesn't cover nearly as tight as Jammer and doesn't possess Jammer's nearly-perfect technique (yet) but with his make-up speed and awesome ball-awareness I think quarterbacks are actually going to be afraid to throw to his side even when the receiver appears to be open.

Why was Deon Sanders a shut-down corner? Well, he was a solid cover-corner, but it was his ball-awareness and his knack for the pick-six that really discouraged QB's from throwing to his man.

So now quaterbacks are going to be left with the option of throwing to a guy who is probably blanketed in coverage, or throwing to a guy who might appear open, but then again the corner might just make a spectacular play and change the complexion of the game.