1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie eyes returner's role

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Click the link for the full atricle
    Cromartie eyes returner's role

By: JAY PARIS - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- Antonio Cromartie's pleas have fallen mostly on deaf ears. "He's been begging Marty (Schottenheimer) to get his chance,'' Michael Turner said. "He'll be fine.''

Turner's hamstring, isn't. That's why Cromartie might stare into Sunday afternoon's sky and return kicks against the Oakland Raiders.

"Don't give him a crack,'' Turner warned, "because he will take it all the way.''

Schottenheimer's way has been to stick with Turner. The backup running back has produced a 25.8-yard average, putting him in the top 10 among returns.

But there's no denying Cromartie's athletic skills would seemingly translate into healthy returns as well.

He averaged 23.7 and 22.9 yards as a returner for two years at Florida State. In three cameo NFL shots, he has averaged 19.3 yards.

Since training camp, Cromartie has pestered Schottenheimer for a chance on kickoffs. The Chargers' coach made a deal that Cromartie could field returns more regularly if he blocked a field goal or forced a fumble on special teams.

Click link for full article

Cromartie has yet to do that, but Turner's barking hamstring could put Cromartie in the role he has sought.

"Just catch it and run,'' said Cromartie, the team's nickel defensive back. "I know what I'm suppose to do: just follow my blockers.''

To a degree.

"It's all about ball security,'' Schottenheimer said.

2. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    cromartie should have been returning Kicks as soon as Darran Sproles was injured for the season so he should be looking forward to the Opportunity

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I dont like it, for some reason I dont like the idea of a defensive player carrying the ball. Especially corners, they tend to get careless and cocky.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I don't like it cause we only have three good cb's. And cromartie is one. We do not want him to get hurt. Period.:yes:

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We have to pull out ALL the STOPS or this team is in BIG trouble to stay in San Diego. :bolt:

If we lose Cro - then we go after another C.B. and trust in Buddy Nix and A.J. in the draft.

We need to win now because there may be no tomorrow.

I hate to even think this stuff but we need to get after it like rabid dogs or we are fuc't. :yes:

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Word...................

I say lay it all on the line :yes: :tup:

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The fact that he's had a minimal impact on offense might have helped their decision to let Reggie play Special Teams.

I think this nervous nellie stuff about special teams is ridiculous. These guys are exposed to injury on every play of every game. Returning a few kicks does not increase the likelihood of injury significantly.

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    For the Bolt brothers in this area there is a growing sense of urgency that this **** to keep the Chargers here is becoming massively serious.

January 1st is right around the corner and we still do not have anything workable in place.

Fah-king San Diego needs some council persons with huevos and vision and both are sorely lacking.

Man I hate this **** and just default my *** back to having a good time one game at a time. :bolt:

9. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Cro takes one to the house- BANK IT!

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I want Cro to get a couple picks before the season is over, or I guess it would be cool with me if he snagged a few in the playoffs LOL.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I told you guys Cromartie should return punts.:icon_eek: LOL

12. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    As I said in Training Camp, this is a great decision. That return was about the only positive to come out of the first half.

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Ill be the first to admit I was 100% against it.:lol:

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

Damn dude you called that one. I hope you made some big bets this weekend. :tup:

15. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Shocker! :icon_eek:

16. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    We've been calling for Cromartie all season to add a spark to the return team. Glad he didn't dissapoint us today!:tup:

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    His last 3 returns were less then impressive though. The guy is a natural athlete though, he could break it with his speed any time.