1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie fined $2500 for Twitter comment.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Chargers fine Cromartie for Twitter complaint
    Posted by Mike Florio on August 4, 2009 11:26 AM ET

Multiple league sources tell us that the Chargers have fined cornerback Antonio Cromartie $2,500 for complaining on Twitter about the quality of the food at training camp.

As best we can tell, this is the offending tweet, from July 31 at 3:46 p.m.: "Man we have 2 have the most nasty food of any team. Damn can we upgrade 4 str8 years the same ish maybe that's y we can't we the SB we need."

That phrase translates to the following in English, we think: "Man, we have to have the most nasty food of any team. Damn, can we upgrade? Four straight years the same sh-t. Maybe that's why we can't get the Super Bowl we need."

Per one source, coach Norv Turner has specifically told the team not to talk about any team matters on Twitter or any other online social media.

Said a player whose name we've been asked to keep anonymous: "Tweeting was invented for 7th grade girls. We have a bunch of girls in this league!"

In an unrelated note, Cromartie's tweeting frequency seems to have reduced lately.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Bad food and 'his' Lord above are all he talks about. What is it with thanking God day in day out in public?.

3. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I guess the God he believes in REALLY likes brown-nosers! :tup:

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is a bit excesive IMO.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The food is free, so he should stop whining!!!

6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984

Best quote about Twitter ever! :tup:

7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Maybe the Chargers are puting saltpeter in his food so he doesn't have any more kids... :lol:

:icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    God damn, that guy sure likes running is mouth, or in this case, his thumbs. With that said, who really gives a damn if he complains about the food?

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    So because the food is free, that automatically means it's good?

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Shut Up and Play!

Guess he's used to the craft services on Candy Girls:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  11. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    unbelievable....This is ridiculous. I mean come on, twitter is set up to be free speech....The NFL is looking for anyway to make a buck with the economy the way it is.

I thought this was a joke when I read it but apparently not.

Good god, what is the world coming to that you have to fine someone $2,500 for complaining about food.

I bet you that $2,500 that Roger Goodell has sat down at a fine dining restaurant and *****ed about his food before.

Fuggin poser.

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

This wasn't the NFL, this was purely the Chargers. My guess is that they wouldn't have cared if he simply tweeted about the food, but after looking at it again, my guess is that the comment about the Superbowl is what would have pissed off AJ and Norv. It wasn't necessary.

13. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If you publicly bash your employer do you really expect them to do nothing?

Complaining about the food is one thing, taking a shot at the team is probably what resulted in the fine.

IMO if he said something like "The food at camp sucks" I don't think you would of seen a fine.

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    CroMo'

(as in Moron)

15. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree with that. Cro could have got away with just saying "The food sucks" and delete the other stuff regarding the team. However, I do agree $2500 is excessive imo like Conc said. Just give a stern warning that's all. And damn Cro, if the food sucks that bad, just go down the street to McD's or Taco Bell close to Fryes down there in Mission Valley. I've seen Donnie Edwards in the Walmart McD's. Got to be careful what you "Tweet". As for Twitter, I don't use it. I don't want to let everyone know what I'm doing every second! I just can't get into Twitter.

16. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Maybe Cro can get a few of his baby mamas to come and cook him his freaking meals. Just shut the hell up and play football. Twitter is for twits!!!

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I wonder what kind of food Cro ate last camp that made him play like crap? , maybe you are what you eat :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Hell for $2,500 if the food was really that bad, he should have just catered the practice for the team.

I thought it was the NFL doing it, I get the Chargers maybe telling him to STFU but fining him right off the bat for $2,500 is just dumb.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    So many damned people getting twitterpated

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    burnt toast

21. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Haha, damn.

Well I hope he stays away from that at this camp.

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Judging by the # of kids he's got, it's also safe to assume that he ate a lot of pu$$y.

Which explains why he played like one too.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Agent: Cromartie fined by Chargers for food-bashing Tweet

A San Diego Chargers player became the first NFL player to be disciplined by his team for use of his Twitter account.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie, according to his agent Gary Wichard, has been fined $2,500 for Tweeting to fans about the poor quality of food provided to the Chargers players at their training camp this weekend. Wichard confirmed to the Associated Press that Cromartie was docked the money.

The fine came just four days after head coach Norv Turner told players they were banned from using Twitter within their practice facilities, the locker room, or team meeting rooms.

The National Football League, worried about the unauthorized leaking of game information, players injuries and private practice data, is formulating a league-wide plan about the players use of Twitter.

The instant communication phenomenon has spread like wildfire within the last couple of months with NFL players.

The Philadelphia Eagles were furious on Monday when a player revealed through a Twitter message, that the team had lost starting linebacker Stewart Bradley for the year with a torn knee ligament in a weekend practice. Believing that a trust was broken, coach Andy Reid refused to comment on the injury — something he usually discusses up front with mainstream media members.

Green Bay banned players from text messages as well as using Twitter from their facilities. Miami threatened fines for anyone caught sending information out of their facilities.
    The NFL also has bans on game day use of cell phones and computers within stadiums and coaches booths, and banned the media from blogging live game information while the games are going on.

Next, may be a ban on text messaging and Twitter by media covering practices, where instant injuries can be reported as soon as they happen without any verification of specifics about the injury. On Monday, four reporters covering the Chargers were Tweeting information during practices. The media agreement is that reporters do not report on game formations or player personnel changes in the practices they see in-season.

However, the ability to police the social networking system might be impossible and would mean the NFL might have to spend enormous time monitoring its 1,800 active players. The league is also concerned about identity theft and false information being filed by fans disguising themselves as NFL players.

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    if Norv said don't tweet ANYTHING about the Chargers, then don't fugging do it!!!

it shoulda been 10k

:icon_shrug:

25. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Earth to Cro...

shut your grill save those finger muscles for the regular season

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

had he been eaten a lot

uhhhh

nevermind

:icon_party:

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It's pretty damn good. I know this from seeing Cooper in that interview as he was getting breakfast. Also, I worked Lolaplooza back in the 90's... as well as Guns & Roses with Metallica. The food was really good It was catering just like a Chargers camp.

I just think Cro is being a little *****, due to hanging out with Dion. Now he thinks he's so special that he should get steak and lobster for every meal.
    Message to Cro... if you don't like it, don't eat it!!!

28. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    This will open the door - just watch, if the Chargers can fine someone over what will be looked at as a food complaint, other teams will use this as a reason to fine players for all sorts of twittering.

29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'd put money on it that this fine is a message to all the twitterpated players to THINK before tweeting - an attempt to (1) show zero tolerance for disobeying coach's orders & (2) prevent the inevitable, someday someone is going to tweet something they don't really mean or will regret and it's going to cause a big *** distraction/problem for their team.

The tweet wouldn't have bugged me at all except that it wasn't just "we have crappy food" it was just TMI and rude to the people who work hard making their FREE FOOD everyday. I doubt they feed them crap but it's likely the same 'ol thing and not necessarily "gourmet"

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    EXACTLY!!! Cro is starting to really annoy me.