1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie has complained about the Chargers playing too much zone

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Feb 23, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Cromartie has complained about the Chargers playing too much zone

Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2010 5:02 PM ET
    As it becomes more clear that Chargers cornerback Antonio Cromartie, a first-round pick in the 2006 draft and holder of a record that can never be broken, is on the outs in San Diego, many are speculating on the reasons for the team's current attitude toward him.

Some think it has something to do with his "no touchy" tendencies in the AFC division-round loss to the Jets. Others think it's rooted in his apparent effort to field a team for competition in the Travis Henry Baseball League. Others believe that Cromartie's overall play simply has dipped, and that the team prefers using Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason.

Cromartie addressed his situation in San Diego during a Monday night appearance with Bryan McGovern and Jim Miller of Sirius NFL Radio, and Cromartie seemed to suggest that the impasses arises from his concerns regarding the team's defensive scheme.

"It may be time to move on," Cromartie said. "I have complained to the coaches about certain stuff, about the way we play, and they know that."

So what were the specific complaints?

"To me, I felt like we played too much zone," Cromartie said. "As we would say, we felt like we had two of the best corners in the NFL, me and Jammer, and we played too much zone coverage, rather than man [coverage]."

MIller then asked whether Cromartie is hoping to play in a 3-4 defense that uses press-man coverage.

"I'd just like to play in a defense that's aggressive, period, to the point of, let us use our strengths and use our abilities," Cromartie said. "Ever since I came out, my first two years it was like that. We had Coach [Wade] Phillips and Coach [Ted] Cottrell [as defensive coordinators]. My second year, the 2007 and 2006 seasons, that's exactly how we played. We may have played a cover-4 defense but there was a lot of press-man that depended on us. We let the front seven do their thing and we tried to handle everything in the back end."

So it looks like Cromartie's days in San Diego are numbered, even though he also said he'd "love to continue to finish out either my contract or my career in San Diego." Even if he's not traded before the 2010 deadline, it's highly unlikely he'll stay with the Chargers after his rookie contract expires at the end of the coming season.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ned-about-the-chargers-playing-too-much-zone/

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Phuck this guy. Aggressive my ***, you want aggressive then maybe you should lay the wood on someone when they run at you, you stupid phucking b!tch.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    LOL, he said "aggressive".

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    You know he is crazy by mentioning Ted Cottrell. :lol: I hope that he is Wades boy so Jerry will trade with us.

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Cromartie is a pusssy

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He's mad we play too much zone because he gets lost when we're in it.

ie. Oak 1st game last season ect.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    While I agree and want to see some more man to man coverage, I don't need HIM to be complaining about htat

8. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Cromartie should just go ahead and get his sex change operation and that way he can pay herself some freaking child support. He must be really mad because she is on the block. Say bye bye to Cromartie. I cant wait for her to get traded.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    but how are we supposed to get Ryan Grant if we trade a shemale as opposed to a so-so cornerback?

10. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I guess your right............Cromartie is so good when he has the chance to play man to man. He really should think twice about getting that sex change operation.

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Package him with Buster and a 5th rounder for a running back. Neither one of these guys are going to be of much use and the only thing of value we'd be giving up is the fiver.

12. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    He has a point. How can he be a shut-down corner when he's playing zone? Not even Revis would be able to shut anyone down if he was forced to play zone all the time.

Give Cro some credit for knowing his strengths and weaknesses on the field. He knows how to play man to man and he addmitted that he sucks playing zone. I know what he means when he says he wants to play aggressive. If that's his game... then f**k, let him play it.

13. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    :icon_rofl: Cromartie you is a funny dude.:icon_tease: