1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie healthy and hungry

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thursday, Aug 23, 2007
    By Sarah Irvin, Chargers.com
    The 2007 season is all about new beginnings for cornerback Antonio Cromartie. Last year he was a timid and uncertain rookie, but Cromartie is entering his sophomore season on the Chargers’ defense with a brand new number, attitude and confidence, all pointing to a bright future.

“The difference is that I am a little more comfortable this year,” Cromartie said. “Last year I was trying to learn the ropes and this year I know what to expect.”

Since his college football career started, Cromartie has been struck with a series of adversities. After tearing his ACL during a summer workout, the cornerback was forced to sit out his junior season. Later in the year his family was hit with an even more devastating blow. Just days before Florida State was set to play in the 2006 Orange Bowl, Antonio received a call from his mother with news that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer.
    With a newborn child, Alonso, at home and his mother’s medical bills stacking up, Cromartie was forced to make a decision. Risking his chance at becoming a first-round pick, Antonio entered the 2006 NFL draft in an effort to help out at home.

“I felt that the right thing for me was to come out last year,” Cromartie said. “A lot of people thought it wasn’t the right time because they felt I needed another year to play on my knee. I felt like my knee was okay and I felt ready to play professional football.”

The decision paid off when Cromartie was selected the 19th overall by the Chargers. Even after being selected by a Super Bowl-contending team, the struggles still flowed for the young player.
    It was only a matter of time before the largest cornerback on the Chargers’ roster allowed his speed and natural athleticism to take control. In early November while the Chargers were playing the Cleveland Browns, he prevented a touchdown by forcing Browns punt returner Dennis Northcutt out of bounds.
    Later in the month, Cromartie won over a sold out Qualcomm Stadium crowd in the Chargers’ victory over the Oakland Raiders. He returned a kickoff 91 yards to set up the Chargers’ first touchdown. Those two games in addition to his strong play as the team’s third cornerback boosted Cromartie’s self-assurance and propelled him into the spotlight.

Cromartie has brought that confidence with him into 2007. When he wasn’t in San Diego working out with the team this offseason, he spent some time in an intense workout regiment in Florida in an effort to increase his chances of starting this season.

“I don’t like to tell a lot of people my secret, but it involved a lot of Pilates classes and I did a lot of conditioning,” Cromartie said. “I do hard things to my body during the offseason, mostly in the heat back home in Tallahassee.”

Cromartie also held his first Antonio Cromartie Youth Football Camp in his home town of Tallahassee, Florida this summer. A few of his fellow teammates and friends from across the NFL showed their support by volunteering for the weekend. The camp consisted of football training as well as a basketball game, Antonio’s favorite pastime. In addition to the camp, he has had more time to spend volunteering where he can in the San Diego and Tallahassee communities.

“I’ve gone to events that my teammates have had in San Diego,” said Cromartie. “When I am back home I go to schools like my old high school and elementary school to speak with the kids. I really enjoy helping kids.”

Cromartie plans to further his efforts in the community with the formation of the Antonio Cromartie Foundation to benefit breast cancer research. This foundation is just one of the many examples of Cromartie’s better beginnings.
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/cromartie-healthy-and.htm

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That is an awesome story about Cro. Thanks for posting that. Cro is going to be a real solid corner. I think he has Champ Bailey potential. A.J. has struck paydirt yet again! Goodbye Flo, hello Cro.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Cro at WR !!!!! :yes:

4. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
  5. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I would like to see that :tup: :bolt:

6. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
  7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I know it is hard, but please try to stay true to the thread .. f*ck!

8. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    This is no time for BS I am trying to pull **** together ok

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Cromartie's our #2 CB next year. :yes: :tup:

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

11. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    This guy is too talented to not excel eventually. Let's hope sooner than later.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cro > Flo. Won't be much longer.

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Shouldn't you be working on fund raising?

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I just hope this ain't chargers.com spin.... Come on Cro show me ur stuff come the regular season!. :tup:

15. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    chargers.com makes me laugh sometimes. I'm a chargers nut [​IMG], but still...