1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie hears inconsistent knock

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Charger says he must play with ‘more urgency’

By Kevin Acee
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    October 15, 2009

On his last day as a Charger, Clinton Hart was asked to look back and assess a newly former teammate.

Hart and Antonio Cromartie had their issues, on-the-field miscommunications that happen between a safety and a corner, as well as blunders that sometimes spilled into off-field resentment.

Considering that, this is about as honest an assessment as there could be:

“Cro is a good football player with the potential to be great,” Hart said. “He needs to be more consistent.”
    While several less flattering words have been used to describe Cromartie in cyberspace recently, “consistency” is the word most often used around Chargers Park regarding the fourth-year pro — from head coach Norv Turner to secondary coach Steve Wilks to fellow cornerback Quentin Jammer to defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

“You'd like to have him make the plays he's capable of making,” Rivera said.

Truth is, despite widespread venom directed his way by fans, until the Chargers' most recent game Cromartie was playing well this season.

He's just not the guy who led the league in interceptions two seasons ago.

Cromartie, who has been stung by the criticism, knows what he needs to improve. He initially balks at the idea he is inconsistent, but he concedes he must prepare better and be present every play.

“I've got to play with a little more urgency coming in and out of my breaks,” he said. “I've got to feel the ball is coming to my side on every single play.”
    Cromartie looks down a row of lockers every day and across the field during games and practices, and he sees the model of consistency.

“You know what you're going to get out of Jammer every single game,” Cromartie said. “That's what you consider a consistent corner. That's what I'm trying to get to.”
    Said Jammer: “He hasn't played bad at all. ... It's about doing your job consistently. He's been doing his job pretty well.”
    There has in many ways been a precipitous drop-off in Cromartie's play since his breakout season in 2007, at least statistically.

He led the league with 10 interceptions that season and had two more in the playoffs. He had just two interceptions last year (both in the same Week 3 game) and none so far in 2009. That's a 19-game drought.

Cromartie was burned 69 of the 100 times he was targeted last season, the fourth-worst ratio among the league's regular starting cornerbacks.
    He has been burned 11 times this season while being targeted on 15 passes, seventh-worst among starting corners.

Here are some more statistics:

One of the Chargers' most active users of the social networking site Twitter, Cromartie has been virtually mum lately.

He went almost a week between tweets from Oct. 7-13 and has tweeted just eight times since then. By way of comparison, Cromartie tweeted 24 times from Oct. 3-5, a pretty typical 72 hours for him.

What that means to his on-field performance remains to be seen, but those close to him maintain it is not a coincidence, that Cromartie is trying to lay low and focus on his game.

“I'm just chillin',” Cromartie said yesterday.

He does say he has altered his mentality and enthusiasm about practice since the Pittsburgh game.

“My approach to practice, I've turned that up a little bit,” he said.

While there is no change imminent at cornerback, there is a glare on Cromartie that keeps growing, especially after Pittsburgh.

“I had a bad game,” he said. “It was the worst game I'm going to have this year.”

Still, there is a lot more wrong with the Chargers defense than Cromartie's play.

“The biggest thing is consistency throughout the whole defense,” said Wilks, the secondary coach. “He didn't have a bad game. We need to be consistent as a defense. We can all play better.”

Cromartie might not agree with the “consistency” word, but he wants to be better. He knows he is more naturally talented than even most of his NFL peers, and that his talent hasn't been fully mined.

“I know I haven't,” he said. “I haven't reached full potential of what the Lord has blessed me with.”

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Hey Cro! STFU and play!

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    He's too busy tweeting to hear you..... :icon_twisted:

4. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    There are only about 4 players on defense who are playing well.

Weddle, Jammer, Castillo, and Phillips (to a point)

The rest of our D-line rotation needs WORK. Gregory and Ellison need to get better fast. Cromartie is the most inconsistent of the bunch.

Larry English is improving, but needs more. Merriman is VERY disappointing. Tucker isn't the guy we thought and needs to get better. Cooper and Bennett need much more work..

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    If Cro doesn't get his act together and fast he will be 'hearing a knock' on the door from the Turk nevermind an 'inconsistent' one.

Get the finger out Cro, leave the women alone for a few weeks and play the damn game.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    What would you do if CLINTON HART called you inconsistant?:lol::icon_tease:

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    His inconsistent *** should be on the bench if he play's that way come Monday night. If he can't help on the field, then he won't hurt us on the bench.:bolt:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    What do you mean? Clinton Hart was the MODEL for consistency. Consistently out of position, bad tackling, late on help coverage, lost, ect. He was the most consistent player we had on D, you always knew what you'd get out of him. Sure, every once and a while he'd go completely out of character and tackle someone or pick off a pass, but lately he's worked hard to clear up those hickups.

• Like Like x 1
  9. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I think a good wake up call would be to bench him for Cason

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd LMFAO. :yes:

11. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    The sooner the better. His trade value has dropped through the floor. Punk.

12. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I'm convinced that Cromartie is incapable of much more than basic thought. You know.... "I'm hungry", "I'm tired", "where's my guy?"

This guy should be paid in bananas because he's about as smart as a chimp. At what point do you realize that you should have your head into practice? Or stop the 'tweeting' and start getting your mind (what tiny bit there is) concentrating on the team and your play?

This guy is a mental midget. Get rid of his *** as soon as he has a good game. Play it to death on ESPN and then use the publicity to get a high rounder. This guy may have talent but he's dumber than a tire iron.

We need come coaches to get in the faces of these losers and start F-ing them up and get them in the game. Either that or get their sorry butts out of here. I'd be all for seeing Gruden come in here with his nasty attitude and kick some *** on this team. I'm tired of this whining, soft, excuse-making team.

13. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I don't know why Cason isn't the starter. He's done a very good job and you can see his intensity when he's in there. Cro is a female monkey who's afraid of getting his nails dirty.

Here you go, chimp..... go get the banana. :icon_banana:

14. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    lmao...It's funny I come one here and read stuff by you people *****ing that he needs to stop his twittering.

So this article said he has slowed down tremendously and you guys are still *****ing.

Everyone on here *****es about all the whining and crying that this team does ALL THE TIME.

However, none of you look at yourselfs and all the *****ing, crying, pissing, and moaning on this forum. I get it for a few days after an embarrassing loss but a week and a half almost 2 weeks later and you are still whining about Cromartie...Get real.

Also all this I hear about model consistency and some of the people that were named in this thread are totally false.

Why is no one *****ing about Shaun Phillips being virtually non-existant for 2 years at OLB since Merriman went down. Why is no one asking for Cason's, and Weddles head after ****** tackling and blown coverages. Or maybe you would like to talk about Stephen Cooper who is the poster boy of soft, and one of the worst tackling ILB's in football.

Everyone is so quick to point a finger at one guy when frankly this defense as a whole sucks.

I hope we make a trade so that we can change the toon on this forum, from the crying and whining about a game that happened 2 weeks ago, to something more productive.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Right now,Cro, is a waste of good skin.

16. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Doesn't matter if he was wasting oxygen....The fact is the blame by the fans, and media have been solely on him. And that is unfair.

Is he a contributor to the problem? NO DOUBT. But calling him out over and over and over is getting old and ridiculous.

People blaming him for the loss in Pittsburgh. Please, I could point out multiple mistakes of everyone on that defense in that game. And yes even the bolttalk.com love children Cason, and Jammer.

Hell Jammer was repeatedly no where near the ball on coverages on Ward and Holmes. Cason got his teeth smacked in by Ward trying to go one on one with him instead of just making the tackle.

This defense is to blame for the defensive problems not Cromartie.

17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I'm surprised he didn't say more. Good for him, but talk is cheap, so show me mother****er or your *** is grass.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    FWIW, LT Express - I consider the entire defense, except possibly Jammer, to be a bunch of soft-headed, gutless whiners.

Does that place me in better company? :lol:

19. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    You won't ever hear me say that Jammer is soft. But he does make mistakes.

I am just sick of hearing about something that is in the past, it's getting old. Find something positive to talk about.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I agree. And I don't believe that you'll find many of my posts in any of the reactionary threads since our embarrassing loss to Pittsburgh.

Here's something positive - I'm positive that our guys will play better this week. Hopefully it will be enough. :tup:

Now get me a beer. :icon_tease: :icon_toast:

21. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    :icon_party::icon_toast:

22. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers CB Antonio Cromartie said in an offseason chat on NFL.com that Marshall is the toughest receiver in the league to cover and Marshall will get a chance to remind him why he said that this Monday night.

:popcorn:

Go Bolts :abq2:

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    He's a fuggin' clown. I'm so done with this guy.

Basically sets up his next injury excuse and admits that he's a puussy who hates to tackle.

Great. He hasn't learned a thing.

24. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    lmao, but if he picks off 2 or 3 passes this weekend and takes over for once you will be playing with his nutsac, like everyone else.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Uh... NO. I won't.

But, that ain't gonna happen so it's a waste of time even contemplating it.

26. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Your right cause he is the worst corner in the league...lmao.

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Not yet.

28. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    itll only happen if we get in ortons face all day. weve played one solid game all year against miami. stop the run and force them to beat us through the air. now if cro gets a pick its cuz of the pressure up front and he just makes a play on the ball.

29. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434

Umm ya thats what the 3-4 is supposed to be.....However, we aren't getting pressure and everyone wants to blame the DB's when the fat asses up front, and our average LB corps aren't doing ****.

Or maybe it was just me watching teams run the ball at will against us...:icon_huh:

This defense begins and ends with the front 7. If they are doing their jobs and teams are still moving the ball down field then yes I will tell you that it's the DB's.

But in this scheme the DB's success relies solely on pressure and disruption of timing of the passes. Look at Pittsburgh. Do you really think that their DB's are THAT good just by natural instinct and talent? Not even close, but they shine because Dick Lebeau knows how to get his guys into the pocket.

30. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Cro is hearing the same **** said about Jammer back in the day. If Cro did not have those picks - he would be hearing even MORE.

Cro needs to tell the fans to kiss his tip the same way Jammer called most of us out. :yes: