1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie honored for special performance

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Antonio Cromartie made history Sunday with his 109-yard return of a missed field goal, and he was recognized for the achievement Wednesday. The second-year cornerback was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week after recording the longest play in NFL history.

“He’s amazing,” Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner said Monday.

The record-setting touchdown was Cromartie’s second special teams score in as many weeks and his third overall. He recovered an errant snap on a punt in the end zone and returned an interception 70 yards for a touchdown against Houston two weeks ago. The returns have garnered the attention of the Chargers’ coaching staff, who have considered getting Cromartie more involved in the return game on a regular basis.

“There is a place for that,” Turner said. “It’s something we’ve got to continue to consider.”

In addition to his returns, Cromartie has played a key role in the Chargers’ coverage units, which provided a bright spot in Sunday’s difficult loss. Thanks in part to Cromartie’s ability to swiftly get up the field and pressure returners, the Vikings started five of their eight drives following punts inside the 20, doing so from their own 8, 4, 10, 16 and 19 yard lines.

In the last four games, the Chargers have forced their opponents to start 28 of 42 total drives at or inside the 20-yard line following punts or kickoffs. Punter Mike Scifres is on an impressive roll in is largely responsible for those numbers. After landing only three of his first 22 punts of the season inside the 20, Scifres has now landed 14 of his last 17 inside the 20.

Scifres credits players like Cromartie, Kassim Osgood, Brandon Siler, Carlos Polk and company, who have the Chargers among the NFL’s top-ranked special teams units. On average, opponents are starting their drives following kickoffs at their own 24, the fourth-best total in the NFL. Scifres is sixth in the NFL in gross punting average and fifth in net average.

This marks the second-consecutive week that a Charger has won AFC Special Teams Player of the Week honors. Scifres received the award last week after pinning the Texans inside their 20-yard line all of his punts (16, 6, 14, 6, and 1-yard lines). Scifres tallied a career-high 50.2 net average and had a season-best 63-yard punt.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Consider?????? They're going to consider getting him more involved??!?!?!?
    WTF!!
    GET HIS AZZ IN THERE!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Norv STILL has no clue what he's doing!!!

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I'm starting to get the impression that you're not a big Norv Turner fan.

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I say run the AC all day long :lol: :bolt:

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The guy is starting on defense this week I think that should be good enough this week. Sproles wasn't bad on the Kick Returns.

7. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Do you think Cro can play RB?:icon_shrug:

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    :icon_shrug:

I never would'a thunk that. :lol:

9. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    No ****. What are we saving him for?

Indy is the worst punt return coverage team in the NFL. Use Cro, NOW !!!

Colts' punt coverage ranks last in NFL - IndyStar.com

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

The post season. :rolleyes2:

As we've been told "it doesn't matter what you do in the regular season." :rolleyes:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Same thing we're saving MT for, I guess. Bench warming. :icon_sad:

12. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm going to say it again .. look at the video again up on YouTube. There were 4 players he passed getting the 50 yard line. All OLine.

I'm not opposed to putting him back there and see what happens but I think everyone is getting ahead of themselves thinking that he is the next Hester.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe he isn't the next Hester. Maybe he is. We don't know because we haven't given him a good look at KR or on offense.

I want Cro to be a great CB. Lord knows that we're overdue!! :tdown:
    But this team needs a jump start & he could be just the ticket.

14. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The Minny return was one sided, but not the return vs the Texans, or his stuff in college. Dude is a stud.

Hester isn't a comparison, because Hester can't play any "real" position besides KR/PR. Cro is more rounded than Hester.

Use Cro now. We need a jump start, and going up against the worst PR coverage team is just the time to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Cro has returned only a handful of kicks and he has one 90+ yarder. He has also fumbled. So the jury is still out. All I know is that the guy runs like a freaking gazelle. Watching him on punt coverage last week was a sight to behold. Minny was single blocking him and Cro was flying down the field.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    'Zactly, my bovine friend! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I should go digging at the UT for my old posts during that FSU/Miami game when Cro went OFF on the 'Canes. Though, because of the Nazi mods/admin there, those threads were probably zapped (off topic - "hidden" threads).

Cro is one of those "rare" talents, and we need to use him more. Again, it's time for a jump start. This team NEEDS it. A great Cro return vs the Colts is exactly the kind of energy this team could feed off to get a victory on Sunday.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Could it be, words of wisdom falling on deaf ears??????:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :icon_toast:
    [/thread]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Boom baby. Took the words right out of my mouth. Rep coming.

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I think we have seen enough to try and find out. How exactly do you know when he is riding the pine? 3 TDs and almost a 4th in two weeks earns him some more playing time. That simple.

If he fumbles, fine. He if he gets hurt, fine. But play his ***!!! Get your talent on the field.

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    At the beginning of the year I said to use Cro as a decoy a WR.

When you have playmakers, you get them the ball as much a possible and in any manner conceivable.

Cro lacks the reps on defense to truly be a force and that is why he could not unseat Flo in pre-season. He was not ready plain and simple. He may not still be ready but looks more the part which only goes to help these the brothers.

23. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Man Cro went from, potential bust in the pre-season to man we need to use him every play. Amazing how things changed so quickly, I would of never guessed he would play this good before even the half way point after watching him play like **** in the pre-season.

24. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Nice paraphrase .. I am with giving someone a try .. I just don't want anyone to go apeshit .. oh ..... wait .... too late.

25. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Just to make it clear, I agree with him playing .. I just was trying to caution everyone for one play where most of the chasers were Olinemen.

26. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Cro got burnt more than once in the Minny game .. but of course, we won't hear about that.

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Here's the thing though: All CB's are gonna get burned, even guys as good as Champ get beat bad and look stupid every now and then. The difference is are you gonna make up for that bad play you made or are you gonna continue to just look bad? Cro has shown me that even though he may make mistakes, he will more than make up for the mistakes with spectacular, game changing plays. But he's got to be on the field to make plays, period.

28. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    When I sat there at last year's Oakland game, he busted out a beautiful kickoff return. His return for a touchdown was bound to happen this year, o-linemen or not.

29. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Yeah, we torched Bailey and Bly in Denver, worse than anything that may have happened to Cro this year.