1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie played on a fractured hip.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    CB played with fractured hip

Monday, January 12, 2009

Bt Kevin Acee

Antonio Cromartie revealed Monday he played this season with a fracture in his hip.

A Pro Bowl cornerback only a year ago, Cromartie said the injury, which he suffered in the second quarter of the season opener, should heal with rest and he expects to return to form.

“Hell yeah,” Cromartie said when asked if he was looking forward to the offseason. “It came (too) soon, but I'm definitely looking forward to it – mostly to get my body back in shape, get back healthy and be able to play like I'm supposed to play.”

Cromartie came into the season predicting 15 interceptions after he had a team-record 10 in 2007. He finished '08 with two picks, both against the Jets on Sept. 22.

“I don't have any disappointment about this season,” he said. “That taught me how to work through injury, play with injury. I was hurt the whole year. I learned from that. Going into next year, I'm going to put it all together and have a great year.”

Talking points

Cornerback Quentin Jammer was voted by teammates as the team's Most Inspirational Player, in large part for his lead-by-example ways. On his way to the parking lot and an offseason that he felt shouldn't be upon the Chargers just yet, Jammer said he is going to change his leadership style.

“As far as being a vocal leader, I need to take a bigger stance,” Jammer said. “We need guys to step up, especially guys who have been around and know what's going on.”

Rivera in Detroit

Defensive coordinator Ron Rivera will interview with the Detroit Lions today for their head coaching vacancy. It will be Rivera's 10th interview for a head job, but his first since joining the Chargers prior to the 2007 season.

“I'd always like to see someone get that opportunity that they want,” coach Norv Turner said. “This has been good for Ron and he's been good for us. We'd like him to be here, but you have to have plans if it goes the other way.”

Record setters

If nothing else, the Chargers lost Sunday because they had the ball for one play and just 17 seconds in the third quarter. “I've never been in that situation,” Turner said.

No one has.

According to Elias Stats Bureau, the fewest plays ever run in a quarter in a postseason game before Monday was three.

The Chargers' average possession time of 28:53 during the regular season was their lowest since 2003.

Nuts 'n' Bolts

LaDainian Tomlinson reiterated he will try to avoid surgery on the partially torn tendon in his groin and said he will know for sure whether rest will be sufficient in about a month.

– Philip Rivers, who led the league and set team records with a 105.5 passer rating and 34 touchdown passes, shared team MVP honors with nose tackle Jamal Williams, as voted by teammates. Said Rivers: “I want to improve on helping us win, helping us get to the top. I relate everything to wins and losses. We were .500.”

Kassim Osgood plans to have surgery on his wrist soon, he said Monday.

– Jammer was said by the Chargers to have not played in the second half due to cramps, but he said Monday he suffered a partial tear of his hamstring.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Explains some things... But not why he was playing with a fractured hip! For pete sakes!

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thanks Conc I thought you were gone for the night :tup:

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    No **** he was injured. Didn't stop people from trying to crucify him tho. He'll be back next season, healthy, and everyone will be swinging from his nuts again.

:mad:

This is some of the most damning evidence against our D I have seen all season. FIX THAT **** AJ, NOW!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Did you see Gordan play?

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ahhh yeah and nah. The play where the ball hit Weddle in the head was a fluke play. But then the D was a bit winded IMO.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    touche!

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

His bad criticism was self inflicted. Starting with hanging out with Dion then making that stupid prediction.

I understand that he was hurt and if I saw a reduction in his play, that would be one thing. I saw him get burned several times because he went for the interception instead of breaking up the pass.
    That's the problem I have with him!

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Would he have gotten those interceptions if he was healthy? Maybe he should have played less aggressively but I'm sure that's tough to do when you're used to playing a certain way.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We'll never know about the interceptions but yes, he should have played more conservatively. Not just because of his injury but also because of the lack of pass rush.

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    So he was injured ...and he sucked, go figure.
    Then he should have been sat. Who the hell plays a physically demanding postion with so much vested in it with a fractured hip? That just sounds stupid to me and if he performed, I'd feel much differently but guess what, see above - he didn't, he sucked, SUCKED!
    Then he acted like he was actually performing. He'd celebrate dropped balls like he actually helped out when he did diddly squat. He's a flashy, arrogant fool but I know he's talented, and athletic. Let's call it a sophomore slump and re-sign this fool in the hopes he can return to being a great corner and a helpful San Diego Charger.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I'm hoping he can rebound too but I have doubts. Cason should have been inserted at RCB and Gordon or Weddle could have played nickel. Oliver and Gregory saw alot of time at season end so it's not like there were no options.

I find it incredulous that playing with the injury meant he was that terrible. If that was the case sit!, period.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I see it hasn't hampered his cocky attitude any. He shouldn't have been playing, period. Him playing hurt more than it helped much of the year.

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    You're coming dangerously close to blaming a player (and not the coach)... :icon_eek::icon_eek:

15. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Yes it does explain some things. Is it me or did he look a bit slower as well :icon_shrug: Right now...his cousin over in the desert is showing him up.

16. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    CB played with fractured hip

bullshit he does not have a fractured him! He has a *****! he is not hurt!

17. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    MMMMmmmmm....blueberry pancakes.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Ok seriously, isn't FRACTURING your HIP a sufficiently bad injury to either be on IR or to have surgery and be out for a while? Why would he then still be playing?

• Like Like x 1
  19. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    With his performance this season, the very least I would expect him to say is that he was injured all fuqin year. I am sure the coaches were not aware of that fact which is why he was out there getting burned week in week out, I also love the highlights of him appearing to race the wr with the ball downfield as opposed to putting a body on him.

If you can't cover with a hip injury, don't play, if you can't hit, don't play. If you can't even pretend to try and shed a block dont fuqin play. Regardless what he does next year we have all the right to crucify him for his pisspoor showings this season, it is etched in stone. I hope he comes back to form next year, that would prove his story held water somewhat.

It'd be hard to swing from his nutsack while it rests on Deions nutsack.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I call bullshit on this claim

I'm sorry, how the hell can you play with a broken hip? How can you even WALK with it?

fracture - n - a break or a crack

21. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Its an injury only people with his build ever seem to have.

A guy I used to play ball with was built somewhat like him, long and lanky but in shape, he was always *****ing about his hip hurting and after 3 years of it they found out it was some sort of ligament tear.

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    that's a tear, Cro is claiming he FRACTURED his hip and PLAYED ON IT the whole year. Anyone remember the last person they knew who broke their hip who was able to WALK let alone run?

23. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551

Depends on if its a small crack or a clean break.

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Word. Cro is going to have a monster year in '09, and those who were spewing stupid crap about dumping him will look like the fools they are.

25. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    He may have a fractured hip.........but I have a problem with the whole story when I have seen him accelerate down field many times in the last few weeks and pass healthy players like they were standing still. :tdown:

I would like to see him be succesful but...........C'mon man

26. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    It's probably a stress fracture, which is a small crack in a bone caused by repeated trauma to a vulnerable area. Gymnasts get them all the time, especially in their wrists and feet. I've had several stress fractures in one ankle due to various causes, and I just stump around in a walking cast and take Motrin until it heals. There's really nothing else to do for it. So I can see Cro playing on a stress-fractured hip.......but why talk about it now? It sounds like he's making excuses for playing so poorly this year. I'm not impressed.

27. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    My point exactly....I was a gymnast I know what it means to be in pain. I still saw him back away from tackles. If that is the case sit down. I trained and competed with many injuries and rips on my hands and if they were so severe that I was hinderence to my team I sat. Its not what I wanted to do but its for the best of the team.

28. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
  29. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    that explains a lot. Hope he heals fast and well for next season. He was a gamer- no way you can say he puzzied out!

30. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    :icon_eek:?:icon_huh:?