1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie predicts better things in '08

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    <!-- ClickabilityRefresh=10m --><!-- SAFE:SafeMode -->
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

February 1, 2008

<!-- BODYTEXT -->
    PHOENIX – Antonio Cromartie feels good things are ahead for him and for Philip Rivers.
    Cromartie was here to appear at the GMC Defensive Player of the Year award press conference. He finished second to Indianapolis safety Bob Sanders. I only played a half a year,” Cromartie said as he stood inside the NFL Network compound, having just finished an interview for NFL.com and about to make the rounds on radio row. “To do the things I did and be up for awards is an honor. But I do want to win them. I'm still a young guy. I still have many more to come. I'm looking forward to next year, helping the team, starting games from Game 1 to the end of it.”

Cromartie started only the final eight games of 2007 and yet led the league with 10 interceptions and was named to his first Pro Bowl in his second professional season. He added two interceptions in the postseason.
    Cromartie also spoke yesterday about Rivers, the Chargers quarterback with whom he shares the ordeal of having undergone anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.
    Cromartie said it took him nearly 18 months to feel his knee had totally healed after surgery. But he said the real issue was running full speed and “trying to stop on a dime” as cornerbacks must do constantly but quarterbacks do not. Cromartie is among the fastest players in the NFL. He returned an interception 70 yards for a touchdown and returned a missed field goal a record 109 yards for a touchdown.
    “Philip will be fine (for the start of training camp),” said Cromartie, who spoke with Rivers last week and advised him not to overdo his rehab.
    Cromartie, who tore his ACL in July 2005, was running fast enough to awe NFL personnel people seven months after his surgery. But he said he did not feel like the “old Antonio” until the end of the 2006 season. Rivers had his ACL replaced in a surgery last week, and the Chargers expect him to be ready in time for training camp in July. “He's a competitor,” Cromartie said of Rivers. “It's that competitive spirit going into rehab that makes you want to work harder. I told him to take his time, don't rush it.”

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Cromartie is just such a gangsta. The guy is simply overflowing with confidence, and he has the tools to back it up. I have to get his jersey.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ditto. His is most likely the next one that I buy. :tup:

Can you imagine a full year with him healthy & Norv thinking about how to use him even more? Mind blowing, I tell ya!! :lol:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The Cro will be one of those images that are forever etched in my mind as one of the greatest plays I have ever witnessed.

:tup::tup::tup:

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I just ordered his jersey the other day and after the season is the best time to buy them on ebay. I got a Weddle and a Cro with sewn-on numbers for about $75 combined.

The Weddle is too fucing big unless I wear a sweatshirt underneath which sucks because it's a nice jersey. :yes:

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah, cro is badass. The girl next to my seat has a big crush on him. I gotta get his jersey too. I want a McNeil one also. NFL shop always has some deal going on but it's like, you only have 2 days to order and it always goes to my work email on Sat and I don't know about it till mon. Too late. yep.

7. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Cromartie is one to hold onto. I'm excited to see what he can do with a whole season. I hope Rivers recovers well and quickly.... :bolt2:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    The guy is such a joy to watch play.

Once again AJ pwnz the league.

9. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    ahah thats for sure, anyone else hear him on NFL radio? man he was explaining what the Giants need to do coverage wise to contain the Pats, he sounded like a dam coach, he spends alot of time in the film room thats for sure

10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    :tup::tup::tup:

Nice.

As for Cro, I only hope the dude dares to be great and doesn't let this years accolades go to his head.

We are in for a world of pain when it comes time to re sign this guy, especially knowing Deion has his ear. :lol: It will be worth every penny.

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    He keeps this up and he will become the steal of the 2006 draft, if he is not already there.

Dude may someday eclipse Deion as the best cover corner to ever step on a field.

I am already getting geeked up about next year. Never, ever have we had 2 CBs with the talent we have now.

Weddle just needs to become the safety we think he can and Hart needs to keep on improving his game. He took it up a level in 2007, but he needs to take it up a notch again.

McCree and Flo. Sorry, but your days as chargers are over.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't see any "sophomore jinx" for Cro. Having him back there with Jammer, with Weddle emerging and with Hart getting another season to mature into the other safety we have the makings of a genuine shut down secondary. Oliver, Gordon and Greory will compete for the nickel spot. McCree will probably be here for depth, if he isn't replaced by a draftee or FA. Next season's defense will start out as nasty as it was in the last half of the season. If we have a couple of mean spirited Fat Boys come into the fold, then watch out. My first bet will be on any V Bookie thread that wagers we sweep the division. BTW-don't much like the idea of London or other European games.

13. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I agree however we have gained a couple of European fans since this was announced and that will probably grow. We better pound Brees and the Saints and tear their defense a new ***. This will be one more pain in the *** argument that Rivers will put to bed (and I like Brees).

Seems the NFL is trying to make it seem like they threw us a fucing bone but I'm not even sure it was intentional.

We better kick their asses on the fucing moon let alone across the pond. :bolt:

14. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    A few stray European fans is hardly worth the enormous effort and expense of this, let alone the fatigue of this kind of travel in the middle of a long season. The NFL should schedule byes the week after these games for both teams, at least.

15. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    "To help compensate for the approximately 5,500 mile trip from San Diego to England, the Chargers have requested and expect the NFL to schedule the team to play a road game on the East Coast the week prior to help break up the trip.

The team would then fly directly to England from the site of their Week 7 game and spend the week there preparing for the game. The Chargers will have their bye following the Saints game." ---chargers.com

Why would you care if both teams got a "bye?"

16. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Seems fair. I'm less concerned about them if we get ours, but fairness to both teams would indicate that both should get it. Probably less important for an East Coast team than a left coaster.