1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie says he played like 'straight trash'

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Cromartie says he played like 'white trash'

It seemed out of nowhere, but it wasn't.
    In hindsight, and with the perspective of a concerned father, Antonio Cromartie's meltdown Sunday in Denver is less surprising.
    If no more acceptable.
    “I take fault for it,” Cromartie said. “I played like straight trash.”
    Two games into what he still has hopes will be the greatest season a cornerback ever had, Cromartie is so far only embarrassed.
    “Any corner should be,” he said Thursday. “ That is the worst I've ever played; that is probably going to be the worst game I ever play.”
    Cromartie, 24, played Sunday with a tender hip, without the benefit of practice and with his mind elsewhere.
    The results were a day in which he was flagged four times, including once for unnecessary roughness and once for a face mask, both of which contributed mightily to Broncos touchdown drives in the second quarter. And, according to STATS, Inc., Cromartie was burned 10 of the 11 times he was targeted Sunday, which contributed mightily to the Broncos' 350 receiving yards.
    A week after bruising his hip against the Carolina Panthers and hardly practicing, Cromartie entered Sunday's game with his thoughts on his 1-year-old daughter, who lives in Houston with her mom, in the path of Hurricane Ike.
    “I wanted to see my daughter, and I couldn't see her,” he said. “That's no excuse, but I care for my kids.”
    And while he was able to play, perhaps he should not have.
    “That whole week of me not practicing, not being able to go out on the field and actually visualize and see everything going on,” he said, “if that ever happened again I wouldn't put myself out in a game like that.”
    Cromartie believes the extra day before Monday's game will help his hip. He said he is much better physically and mentally this week, though he was adamant, too, that he was not making excuses. He simply was answering questions, acknowledging the effect his circumstances had.
    “There was a lot of stuff going on,” he said. “At the same time I've got to be more professional about it. I've got to try to separate my personal life from what's going on on the football field.”
    And after a disastrous first half, which included not only the blown coverage and penalties but a few instances of wild gesticulating by Cromartie, that is essentially what fellow cornerback Quentin Jammer imparted to his protege.
    “It was like he was somewhere else,” said Jammer, whom Cromartie considers a mentor. “I don't know where he was. He was just spaced out. I'm always pretty bluntly honest with him. I basically told him, 'You're stinking it up. You need to get your head back. Get out of the talking match. Calm down and play your game.'
    “That's very out of character. His mind was a little spacey. I told him, 'This is your livelihood; this is how you make a living. This is what you do. You need to be with us right now. Get back here.' ”
    Said Cromartie: “He always is honest with me. That's why I appreciate him as a friend and a teammate.”
    Cromartie, like much of the secondary, played better in the second half. But among the couple times he blanketed Brandon Marshall after halftime was a deep Jay Cutler pass that bounced off Cromartie's hands.
    For those who didn't see it, and for those still in shock after seeing it, let it be repeated: A ball bounced off Cromartie's hands. Of all the things that happened to Cromartie that day, that clank was perhaps the most mind-boggling.
    “I don't even know,” said Cromartie, who led the NFL with 10 interceptions in 2007 and was not shy about stating his goal of 15 this year. “It hit my hands. I've got to catch that.”
    There is a thought within the organization that such a performance might actually be helpful in the long run for the brash young Pro Bowler. Cromartie doesn't entirely deny that. It is, at the least, motivating.
    “I expect so much out of myself,” he said. “To go back and watch a game like that is nothing but motivation.”

UT

2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

Is he referring to Smith or Wilhelm?

3. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151

Dude jinxed himself by declaring he was going for 15 INTs. I'd be surprised if he got 7 this year.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

This is what happens when you get cocky and run your mouth. Opposing receivers and QB's are probably gunning for him. Making a claim on 15 INT's that publicly is great bulletin board material.

5. sosdfan

sosdfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0

6. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

I have to agree with you.... but... it did make me look.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    at least he isn't in denial

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Agreed! I also have to give major kudos to Jammer for trying to get Cro's head straight. We all know how much Jammer was verbally abused when he had games like that. Nice to have a big brother :tup:

9. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Not tryin to make excuses but if our pass rush doesn't get any better any QB can pick a secondary apart. I don't think we hurried Cutler once that day?

• Like Like x 1
  10. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I don't think so either...

11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    It shouldn't be an excuse, I mean sure it helps but if you want to be a great corner you have to be able to stop guys pass rush or not. Jammer had a good game and continues to be our most consistent DB which isn't surprising because he doesn't risk as much as Cromartie does to get INTs.

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    step one - admit to it
    step two - fix it.

one down, one to go

13. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Cromartie needs to forget about int's and go back BASICS!!!!! And remember what got him where is now. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Good Take! Welcome to the forum!:icon_toast: