1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie signing nears

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Tuesday, Jul 25, 2006
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com
    Chargers first-round draft pick Antonio Cromartie was not on the field Tuesday morning as his fellow rookies and select veterans practiced, but General Manager A.J. Smith is optimistic that the former Florida State Seminole will join his teammates soon.

“Everything is really going well,” Smith said of contract negotiations with Cromartie and his agent Jason Fletcher. “We just didn’t make the 9:00 rookie reporting deadline. We had a (contract) number that we threw out there and they had another. We just didn’t hit on it.”

As of Tuesday afternoon, only three first-round draft picks had signed. Top overall pick Mario Williams of the Houston Texans, Raiders seventh-overall pick Michael Huff and Kamerion Wimbley, whom the Cleveland Browns took with the 13th pick, had all joined their squads.

“There hasn’t been a lot of action in the first round,” Smith said. “We like to explore contracts and situations as well. The agents like to look at that. If all the other first-round picks in the league were in and you had a hang up, it would become a story. But there are only a couple guys in and we’re working to get ours here.”

Cromartie is the only Bolts’ 2006 draft choices that is not under contract. Offensive tackle Marcus McNeill signed his deal Tuesday morning and made it onto the field for the final minutes of the team’s first practice.

“The negotiations with the other picks went great,” Smith said. “It was fluid and smooth, the best they’ve gone since I’ve been here. Things are really going great with Antonio. I’m going to go upstairs now and continue this thing with Ed McGuire. I’m really optimistic. We just have to get it done.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Nice. Hopefully this will be done by the end of the day.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Where did you find this on chargers.com? I was just there and could not find it. Linky?
    Did they pull it because Cromartie's going to sign any second?

• Like Like x 1
  4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Nevermind. I just went back and it was there.

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    How many fracking "cromartie is about to sign" articles can there humanly be? There's been at least half a dozen in three days and he still hasn't signed. WTF?!?!:icon_evil:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    never mind he just signed :icon_banana: