1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie traded to Jets for 2011 3rd (or 2nd) rounder

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Mar 4, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    ESPN, NFL network on Twitter confirming it - Jay Glazer, Adam Schefter,

It's a third rounder in 2011 could be a second depending on his playing time

Better then could be expected considering

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Was kind of hoping that it would be a pick this year.

3. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Cromartie traded to the Jets for a R3 pick.

I will post the link when it appears, breaking news as of 20 seconds ago on the Ole Miss game on ESPN.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Eh....a little dissapointing. We're a team aiming for a super bowl right now, getting no immediate return for a starter is a little dissapointing.

5. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    You beat me by seconds :(

Oh well, I am more than happy with a potential 2nd rounder.

6. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Cromartie traded to the Jets for a R3 pick.

Also on twitter about 10 min ago .. ;)

7. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    The Jets do not have a R3 pick this year, heard it on WFAN on my ride home today. I believe that would be the only reason it is a 2011 pick, and if they are the only one willing to trade a pick that high, then so be it.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Not that high really, Jets are probably going to be a top 8 team with that defense and running game, and if Sanchez develops.....

Plus we can't draft anyone this year to replace him or develop for the future, we basically just gave ourselves another hole to fill in the short run.

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
  10. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    It is addition by subtraction.

Seriously, we could sign Leigh Bodden, sign Lito Sheppard, or even plug in Cason and see the same loose, patchy coverage time and again with much, much better physical play.

And I did not even bring character issues of "Crime Time" into the conversation.

I am just ecstatic that we were able to get something for the next Deangelo Hall.

Did I mention that we got got a R2-3 pick for a languishing CB with 1 year left on his contract?

11. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    There are a lot more champagne bottles in New York .. He'll be throwing plenty after the media realizes the can't play press coverage to save his life.

12. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    The Jets came away with the better deal.

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Jets fans arn't happy... I just read their boards and a lot of them are highly skeptical of a guy who won't stick his nose in a play.

14. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Explain.

A CB who has shown inconsistent coverage skills and no physical play with 1 year left on his deal for a potential R2 pick is a great deal if you ask me.

If he is great, awesome, the Jets need to sign him to a 7-year, $70M+ deal for him to suck and get cut because of him being happy to have had his "payday". And we get a R2.

If he is terrible,even better, we fleece the Jets for a R3.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'd like to know what has to happen for us to get a 2nd rounder for him.

Playing time?
    Team success?
    Stats?

:icon_shrug:

16. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I too would have liked to see a pick this year, but I am thrilled to be rid of that piece of crap.

17. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    The first 2 both play a role, but the actual terms are undisclosed.

18. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    IF we get a 2nd rounder, it's an even trade. I expect Cro to play very well in his contract year.

19. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    If he does play well, because the 2nd is contingent upon team success, then it is an even trade by your standards.

But come on, even if he goes crazy in coverage, he will always be pillow-soft with a bad attitude.

20. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    IF we get a 2nd rounder, it's an even trade. I expect Cro to play very well in his contract year. If he gets to play man like he wants, he'll be a dominate corner again.

Sorry, 2x post

21. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Rex Ryan is infamous for running a zone defense.

Uh oh =)

22. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Jim trotter and roman oben are all over twitter saying how good cro will play because the jets have a pass rush .. I don't buy it .. I just don't see a good cover corner. It's not like he wasn't given an opportunity here ..

23. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    The Jets don't have a pass rush, and my best friends are Jets fans to attest to that.

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Their pass rush is middle of the road, not great for a team who blitzes 7+ on damn near every play.

Plus their corners play a lot of zone....WAAAAYY to complicated for Cro's idiot little mind.:yes:

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    they're drooling about his potential - which is what we were doing. He will definitely be targeted but with his sloppy play and coordination its touch and go as to whether he'll get interceptions or make plays.

No doubt the Jets are now owners of a talented cornerback duo - but while one is very steady the other is incredibly streaky

26. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    If reports were right the interest from the Lions was in the 4th or 5th round range. I was actually leaning towards keeping him and if he walked next year we could have recieved a 3rd to 5th round pick as a comp for him walking. Well we just locked in a 3rd and we might get a a 2nd out of it.

Sidenote, this might free us up to trade our 3rd round pick for next year to improve a draft slot in this years draft.

WE will be drafting a CB early so get ready for that this year.

27. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Who? Haden is going down, and other CBs are speculative at best, not worth being drafted early.

We will draft a CB in the mid-to-late rounds, I agree, but not early, per se.

28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I don't think so at all - I think that third might be in case we need to replace Cason and Cro next year. This year we need to see what Cason can do

29. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Well he certainly won't be able to complain about his playing time .. He needs to step it up this year. And no more *****in'.

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah I doubt we'll draft a CB in the first two rounds, I'd like to see us grab Akwaski Owusu Ansah in 3rd. He's a perfect fit for what we do, and he's been in a few of my mocks.

Imagine Cromartie with a brain....thats Ansah. Physically gifted, SUPREME ball skills, extremely fluid in backpedal, also brings something to the return game.