1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Crompton a steal?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Apr 28, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/12797/qb-expert-thinks-chargers-got-a-draft-find

QB expert thinks Chargers got draft 'find'
    April, 28, 2010 Apr 281:50PM ETEmail Print Share By Bill Williamson

Former NFL coach Sam Wyche knows quarterbacks.

That’s why San Diego fans should be excited.

Wyche worked this spring with Tennessee quarterback Jonathan Crompton, whom San Diego took in the fifth round Saturday. Wyche believes Crompton has a chance to be a quality starter in the NFL.

"I think San Diego got one of the finds of the draft,” Wyche said. “He does a lot of things that excite you as a coach.”

San Diego took Crompton to be the No. 3 quarterback, replacing Charlie Whitehurst who was traded to Seattle. Backup quarterback Billy Volek is a free agent after the season, so Crompton has a chance to be the backup next year.

With starter Philip Rivers in his prime and one of the elite quarterbacks in the league, perhaps San Diego can flip Crompton for a couple of draft picks down the road like it did with Whitehurst.

Wyche believes Crompton will be a wanted commodity and is capable of leading an offense.

Wyche gushed about Crompton in several areas. He believes Crompton will succeed because of his strong arm, excellent football knowledge, leadership skills and toughness.

“He’s just very impressive,” Wyche said.

Wyche noted that Crompton persevered at Tennessee despite being in several systems. Many league observers believe Crompton came on strong as a senior under coach Lane Kiffin.

Wyche thinks Crompton will continue to progress under the tutelage of San Diego coach Norv Turner, a noted quarterback instructor.

“He’s in a great place,” Wyche said. ”He has two experienced quarterbacks to grow under without any pressure and a great coach in Norv to learn from ... This is a perfect spot for a good player.”

2. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Its a comfort to know we have player of some potential sitting back there on the depth chart!

That being said..its highly unlikely that he will get a chance to play in the regular season with Volek ahead of him, even before he sees the back of Rivers! hehe

The best we can hope for is the same type of dealie as we got for Whitehurst.

I am very much looking foward to seeing what he has in the presason games!:tup:

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    it's possible he'll be around after Volek leaves (retires, signs somewhere else) but I too don't want to see him play in a meaningful game

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's great news! At least I know he's not the scrub I thought he might be. Heck, he might be a big upgrade from Whiteworst! :lol:

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Trade him for a 3rd rounder.

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    unless he can pull a billy v colts a few years ago :yes:

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
  8. ShockTheWorld

ShockTheWorld BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    :icon_banana::abq2::abq1::icon_toast::icon_banana::abq2::abq1:

My favorite moment in a game was when when Volek put together that drive lol.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    As great as that was I still wouldn't want to see it, unless it's in the Super Bowl.

Volek was able to do that because Rivers shattered his knee....and had to play on said shattered knee the next week.

If something like that happened in the Super Bowl and Crompton came in and played 2nd string hero it wouldn't matter (save concern over the following year) but I don't want to see another season that ends up leaving me wondering what could have been had Rivers not been playing injured.

10. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    What I really want to know is how well he holds a clipboard?

If he can hold that thing like Whitehurst we can get another couple draft pics for 3rd string QB.

Hows his form? :lol:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    While it's true that Whitehurst never (thankfully) had to step in & perform during a game & that we have capable backup in Volek, we do need to be thinking about a time when Volek may not be here. I hope Crompton can develop into a good substitute for Rivers should the unthinkable happen - again.

It's never to soon to be looking ahead, especially at a position that takes time to develop.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If he is that good of a QB, we have depth where it probably counts the most. If he is that good, he'll be here a while, since Volek just might get a good offer from another team. He might also show better than Volek. I like having the guy around. This is going to be a fun camp to keep track of. We have more good incoming talent than we have had for a while. The UFDA OL's will make life interesting for a while.