1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cro's New Agent... Bad For Bolts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I remember hearing back when we drafted him that Cro's big desire was to get paid and paid big, so i'm already starting to think of Cro as one of the free agents who we will lose

• Like Like x 1
  3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Oh well. We'll have him for at least three more seasons then we'll see what happens.

4. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I'm pretty sure his contract runs through 2010. He's comes up one year after most of our other big FAs.

5. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    There is always the wonderful little thing called Franchise Player. Plus if Cro continues to put up 10 interceptions and plays lock down corner, I am sure AJ won't have a problem making him the highest paid corner in the league.:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    right, alot can happen in 3 years (I hope)

7. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    3 Lombardis would be nice :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Man... all this makes me so nervous about the CBA...

I hate to say it, but if they don't come to some kind of terms that maintain a salary cap our team is going to get ****ing GUTTED. Hope we can manage to collect a couple rings between now and then... :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Spanos has the money to compete. Also, if I remember right, there's an extra year to franchise since the CBA has been voided. If worse comes to worse, there are several more drafts for AJ to work his magic in.

10. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    This is what AJ means by planning ahead. He has an idea of what it is going to cost now and in the future to keep FA signed. He also is tracking what draft picks we have and he has an idea of how we can go after guys to fill needs. This last season, we where drafting for depth. How many teams can afford to do that?

In the next season or so, we have to start making the tough decisions on who to extend to keep and who to let test the market. In my mind, the big ones are WR, DE and McNeil. Both Wr and both DE are up at the same time, so obviously you don't necessarily want to lose both starters. At the same time, you would like to see the younger guys step up and be more consistent. I expect we will not see much action early on the re-signings, but once it is clear who is going to be hot this year (4-6 games in) we will start to make the moves and at least short term things will fall into place.

Then it is just AJ job to start drafting guys who could and will be the replacements once the guys who are not going to be offered big money move on. The nice thing is that we have some time and most of our high draft picks, so we can definitely offset some of those losses with high draft picks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I never heard that.

IN AJ I TRUST!

12. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Cro's old agent was Jason Fletcher. Go google that name and see how few hits that are new he gets. Not much, except for being investigated (and reprimanded) by the NFLPA for some violations with NCAA Juniors.

I can't find any top rookies that have Jason Fletcher as an agent.

Jason Fletcher broke into the agent business when his brother, Jamar Fletcher, was a first round draft pick of the Miami Dolphins. SD later acquired him for a season.

Cro just wanted a guy who has handled higher profile players, and also the off field (endorsements, appearances, etc) end of the contract/representation business.

It could have been worse. Cro could have signed on with the "conspiracy" agent, Tom Condon. You know, the one who represented Marty and Brees .... and Donna Edwards. The A.N.K.L.E. B.I.T.E.R cited being repped by Condon as the reason why AJ was trying to trade/dump him. Yeah ... sure.

Tom Condon/Drew Rosenhaus/Poston Brothers/Jimmy Sexton .... would y'all have rather seen Cromartie sign with one of them?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Where'd you hear that?

• Like Like x 1
  14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    in aj i trust. :tup:

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Of course I hope to keep Cro long-term. If he continues to improve his play, there's little reason for him not to be a very highly paid athlete. The FO knows this & will be working to either keep him or find other talent. We can only sit back, watch, & wait (and offer our .02 worth!!!).

16. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

There's your silver lining! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah if he doesn't miss a beat this year, make him the highest paid DB in the NFL at least.

Although Merriman is going to want to be the highest paid player in the NFL too.

And we have to resign Rivers soon.

And we have to resign McNeill (who I think we'll get for a bargain)

And we'll have to resign Castillo who is very underrated.

And Jackson

And Chambers

It'll be impossible to keep them all.

18. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Like I said yesterday ... Cro's agent was dying on the vine, and he needed a new one. Another big name CB just hired Rosenhaus.

LITO LANDS WITH ROSENHAUS

19. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Of Cromartie, DeAngelo Hall and Nate Clements, Cromartie's the only one who will truly show he's worth a buttload of money.

Yes, he'll probably get along the line of 8 years, $80 million, but he'll be worth it unlike the other two.

20. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Just another reason for investing a first round pick in the insurance policy called Cason.

A shrewed man that Mr Smith.

:bolt:

21. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    See you later Cro, welcome Cason :tup:

22. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    If Cromartie has at least an equal year to 2007, he'll have shown that he can consistently, across several seasons, perform at a high level.

Then AJ would actually be "stupid" not to pay him a buttload of money in a contract extension.

23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

I think we all fully expect he'll get a buttload of money if he proves himself as the shut-down corner and game-changer he was last year. The problem is that sometimes, for some players, a butt-load just isn't enough. They gotta break the bank and be the highest-paid-guy at their position, etc. etc. blah blah blah, it's all about respect, yadda, yadda...

Not saying Cro is that way, but having Deon Sanders as a mentor isn't exactly encouraging. Still, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to it. It seems like right now everything is on hold as teams and agents wait to see what's going on with the uncapped season. Would the Chargers hand out some HUGE signing bonuses to players in the uncapped year in exchange for contract extensions that wouldn't take up space on a future salary cap? (Example; giving Cro a $40 million signing bonus to extend for 8 years at, I dunno, $5 million per for a total 8 year $80 million contract...?) How's it going to work with the current CBA situation?

• Like Like x 1