1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CROSBY FIRED: Chargers fire special-teams coordinator

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 3, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers fire special-teams coordinator

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2011, 6:40 PM EST
    Norv Turner will be back next year to coach the Chargers. And he’ll need to hire a new special-teams coordinator.

The team announced that Steve Crosby’s contract will not be renewed. He spent nine seasons with the team.

“We appreciate Steve’s hard work and dedication to this team over the past nine seasons,” Turner said in a statement released by the team.

The most comes as no surprise. Early in the year, the Chargers’ special teams were a mess, with multiple errors and blocked punts.

Still, even with a new special-teams coordinator, Turner had better have a good plan for getting off to a faster start than the team has in his first four seasons on the job. Otherwise, someone from the Chargers could be saying next year at this time, “We appreciate Norv’s hard work and dedication to this team over the past five seasons.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/03/chargers-fire-special-teams-coordinator/

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    The first head to roll...

3. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Crosby takes fall for special teams slide
    BY KEVIN ACEE
    MONDAY, JANUARY 3, 2011 AT 8:59 A.M.

Steve Crosby, who three years ago was named the NFL's top special teams coach, has been let go after nine seasons with the Chargers.

Crosby's contract was not renewed after he presided over what was by some measures the worst special teams season by any team in NFL history.

A few had allowed more kickoff returns for touchdowns than the Chargers' three in 2010. Two had allowed more blocked punts than the Chargers' four (plus one deflection). None since 1976 had allowed a higher punt return average than the Chargers' 18.9 yards.

And no team had done come close to doing all three in the same season.

Head coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith had for months defended Crosby. They alluded to the many injuries that had an effect on Crosby's lineups.

But the preponderance of mishaps -- including a few near-blocks in recent weeks -- demanded reckoning.

Players were let go during the season, and more will leave now that the Chargers' 9-7 campaign is over.

This was Crosby's time to pay with his job.

Crosby joined the Chargers as part of Marty Schottenheimer's incoming staff in 2002. Crosby has coached with four other NFL teams in a 33-year NFL coaching career.

Crosby takes fall for special teams slide - SignOnSanDiego.com

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am still holding out hope that Norv gets canned. We were told Marty wasn't going anywhere when the season was over also, yet a month later, he was gone.

If there is a god, Norv will be fired

• Like Like x 1
  5. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Gee, what a surprise... I just knew it would be Crosby's head after the donkey's kick-off return came back for a TD. After the Chargers management guaranteed that it wouldn't happen again. Who made that guarantee?

Pointy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Marty tried to hire his brother, something Dean and AJ did not want.

Crosby getting canned isn't much of a surprise though. Special Teams gaffes cost the team at least 3 games this season.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I thought it was a blocked punt guarantee?

9. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    And the playoffs.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Also something he had every right to do according to the contract the they gave him. They also refused to give him a contract extension that was 'market value', so he was going into the year as a lame duck coach. No quality DC was going to come in knowing they would likely get fired when Marty allowed to walk after the year

**********I am not, and never was a Marty fan, I just want to get the facts straight**********

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    can we fire our OC and Oline coach next?

PLEASE???

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Failures in Crosby's unit cost the team big time. Many will say the cost wins, but I never liked that excuse. They cost points, points that the offense and defense failed to restore. That is just how I see it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Its gonna be so much fun watching all you babies cry for the next 4 years since Norv isnt going anywhere

14. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    OL coach i agree with, but why Shelmon? He doesnt do anything, what would bet he point of firing him?

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    ur right, I work with a couple guys just like that :mad:

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    ohh nooo... what will we ever do now.

OYEA

CELEBRATE!

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Now all they have to do is get a real DC and the worm may just turn. The Bolts have the #1 defense, I ask against who???? If they were that damn good with the teams we played this year it should be an all time best NFL defense.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Spanos doesn't have the guts to fire Norv or does he? But firing this guy is a start. We're aiming for you AJ.

20. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    That was a Captain Obvious move by Norv. Too bad it didn't take place in September.

21. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree...totally. We still could have won a couple of those games, but we did not come up with a big play...in fact in Seattle, I remember a fumble at the five yard line that hurt just as much as the crappy kick coverage. Not excusing the special teams for sucking, but we had multiple chances to over come those screw-ups.

• Like Like x 1
  22. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Who is a real possibility to replace Crosby? Who is out there?

23. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    pity they didnt turf him out 3 months ago. Better late than never I suppose.

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    4 yrs?. He has 1 max.

25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Yeah why so late?. We were so quick to pull the trigger on some of the players to screw up e.g. CJ Spillman. But because ol grandad Crosby is cuddily and been here 9 years we'll do the decent thing and say 'we're not renewing his contract' when all the milk has already been spilt.

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Rivera should have been on that same bus out of town.

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Why the Rivera hate?. Chances are he is gone anyway but I doubt v much if it will be to Carolina.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly. When we miss the playoffs again next year, Spanos will have no choice but to can that loser

29. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Sometimes, you stay at the party too long, likely Crosby fits that bill. Too bad they waited so damn long to 'get it'. Next in line, Mr. Turner. My prediction is he'll survive another 8-8 to 9-7 year next year, then even Spanos won't put up with any more and he'll be sent back to Offensive Coordinator land where he belongs. If a new owner doesn't accelerate the process for him and Tommy Bahama.

30. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Norv will stay here as he is a San Diego guy. If this team moves up north to LA, he will have been bent over numerous times by the press up there, The new owner will not want the bad publicity and a new Head coach will run the team. The new owner will spend the money required to get a top notch head coach in place, and a super bowl team will be built in a very short time.