1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Crosby won't get cut for his special teams gaffes

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Oct 11, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Crosby won't get cut for his special teams gaffes
    BY KEVIN ACEE
    SUNDAY, OCTOBER 10, 2010 AT 9:09 P.M.

OAKLAND — Special teams has failed in different aspects in each of the Chargers’ three road losses, arguably the unit that is the difference between a possible perfect record and the losing record the team has.

It is likely people will lose jobs at some point, perhaps as soon as today.

Special teams coach Steve Crosby will not be one of them.

“Don’t be silly,” Norv Turner said when asked if Crosby’s job was in jeopardy. “We’re going to get the right guys on the punt team that are going to do the right job. We’ve got an outstanding coaching staff, and I have nothing but the highest regard for what Steve Crosby does … There is nobody that works harder at what he does. When our guys do what he tells them to do we play pretty good.”

Counting the two blocked punts that resulted in a safety and a touchdown and contributed to the Chargers trailing 12-0 4½ minutes into yesterday’s game, special teams have directly contributed to opponents scoring 30 points this season.

That’s a punt return for a touchdown in a seven-point loss to Kansas City, two kickoff returns for touchdowns in a seven-point loss to Seattle and the nine points in Sunday’s 35-27 loss to the Raiders.

“It’s got to be us,” said Jacob Hester, who was the fullback for both blocks. “Coach Cros didn’t forget how to coach special teams. It ain’t him. You’ve got to put two weeks together. We’ll get it fixed and then revert back to bad habits. I don’t know what it’s going to take. It might take 11 new guys. It’s not fair to the offense or defense what we’re doing, so we’ve got to get it fixed.”

Crosby won't get cut for his special teams gaffes - SignOnSanDiego.com

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No surprise. No one on this team is held accountable.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    man, I'm really starting to wonder.

you know maybe Norv could have at least chewed the guys a s s for allowing so many boneheaded plays on special teams. but all we get is nut grabbing excuses.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And the problems start at the top, not with the assistant coaches

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    3 games where the special teams loses it for us is serious. If the players are not listening to the coaches then you have one of two choices. Get rid of the players or coaches but to ignore this is bull.

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I called for his firing last month but most wanted to give him a chance. Well he has had his chance.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If it's not the coach, and admittedly Crosby created some very good ST groups in San Diego over the last few years probably didn't forget how to coach in an off-season. As such blame the players, cut who you need to cut and go from there. If you refuse to blame the players then there's no one else to blame but the coach, fire his ***

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They got rid of a couple players 2 weeks ago and brought in special teams studs, or so we were told. So since cutting players doesn't solve the problem, the next step is the coaches.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Somebody got their rears chewed on TV yesterday. I think it was Tolbert for missing the assignment which allowed the punts to be blocked.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    then get his rearend off the field and get someone out there who wants to be out there!

I wonder if Tolbert was one of those players who were not paying attention in the Special teams meetings.

Its time to start calling these players out for their play!

11. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    It was Tolbert indeed.

Yesterday provided a completely new dimension of special teams failure. Think the whole damned unit needs an arse chewing

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I mean to miss an assigned block on a punt once is bad enough, esp deep in your own side of the field, but to do it TWICE???? People HAVE to be held accountable and Norv has to take control of the situation and not let Bing Crosby serenade his way out of it!!!! I mean this shiat is becoming embarrassing and opposing teams are going to exploit this to the fullest if they haven't already....:mad:

13. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    If LT were still here he WOULD NOT be putting up with this.
    Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

14. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Chargers' mistakes are the norm now - SignOnSanDiego.com

“That’s something I take responsibility for,” Applewhite said of allowing a man past him on two blocked punts. “Me being a core special teamer, someone who prides himself on special teams, to allow something like that to happen twice, there’s no excuse for it.”

15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Both Tolbert and Hester were getting chewed out. Strange when they seem to be stalwarts on special teams i.e. I can't believe it is they who are responsible, surely it is new guys/those that are less experienced. I wonder did Crosby get his *** chewed by somebody e.g. AJ. Norv seems to be too calm to get involved in an argument with his own staff on the sideline, perhaps he does it behind closed doors, somehow I doubt it.

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Let's up the ante on this a bit,,,,,,it was twice in a matter of what, three minutes or so?

17. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Nothing changes if nothing changes so we can expect more disasters on special teams.

Unbelievable.

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, Applewhite was the one who focked up? Twice? Oh man, I like AA, but that's shiat is not acceptable! He better start paying attention in those ST meetings a lot better. That shiat is going to end up as a loss like it did yesterday. EVERYBODY on this team better pay attention! :mad:

19. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    So on the Applewhite note, if Crosby is not going to be cut, then what players should be?

Tolbert was chewed out. Applewhite has accepted responsibility. CJ Spillman was mentioned in one of Acee's tweets.

Should any of those guys be put on the street today? Any others?

20. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Exactly.

I used to punt in high school and have been on the wrong end of one of those. Protection team is always taught to take the guy that has the most direct line to the punter (i.e. the inside guy) and force guys to beat you outside. They clearly did not do that yesterday as the pressure point was right up the middle.

What's next, Scifres drops a snap? Air mail? Grounder? Those are about the only things we haven't done wrong this year on punt team.

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    “Don’t be silly,” Norv Turner said when asked if Crosby’s job was in jeopardy.

This is straight BS! What about Teddy Cotrell? He was fired for poor defense play. Is Crosby Norvs boy?

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Norv makes it way too easy for us to ******* hate him.

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394

We were told they were special teams "studs"? Really? Yes, the front office probably thought that they could bring a spark to the S/T unit... i.e. veteran experience, but "studs" aren't out collecting unemployment DURING the season, no matter what.

I will say that I think that this is a team that to some level overvalues "veteran leadership" qualities at the expense of pure talent or potential. At first it seems like the "mental mistakes" were ones of immaturity, so they looked to "veterans". That hasn't worked. At some point you just have to pull the trigger and roll with the inexperienced, if hungry, guy... as that seems to be what this team is truly lacking (aside from the ability to get and stay healthy) is hunger.

24. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    First head to roll?

Via Twitter:
    CJ Spillman released -- ka

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Well, that's something.

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    No shock at CJ getting cut. Guy has some talent but you simply cannot whiff as often as he did as first guy down to the ball carrier.