1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cry Manning already changing the game..again?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Aug 27, 2010.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Was jus gonna post this in a thread I saw a coment about this earlier.

The NFL finally figured out how to slow down Peyton Manning -- change the rules.

Apparently, the changes are now under further review.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5504506

What a shocker.:icon_twisted:

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    One part that deffinatly stands out to me as abusable if the rules stay as is, is the part about lining up behind the deepest O player. So split back 4 wide hurry up would be the fastest you could get wout takin the back off the field or movin him to WR.
    It does sound like its a PM problem.

3. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Besides being the QB that he is.......
    When did Manning "change the game" the first time? :icon_shrug:

BTW, I already know the answer your going to give. :yes:

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Heh then I should refrain from saying anything about Jwalls famous last words: GAME OVER! Or anything that has to do with coin collecting. :}

5. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I knew your answer.:yes:

Now.....I'd like you to show me where Manning ever complained.:yes: Can you?:icon_huh:

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    #2 The DBs should not touch my WRs. WHAAAAAA!!!!

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Was a RapidReport I saw posted after the game. Also didnt you see the game Manning was doing the What the Hell and the AW Fooey at the call ON #18.

In any case I have already seen several games where this glitch has happend. Also watch the official, they are like 50+ and 250 lbs+ and they dont have any extra motivation to get in place other than to take steps backwards...

Manning isnt the only player/team that is seeing this problem when they try to go No Huddle or Hurry up. Hard to hurry to get the ball spotted then you have to wait 4 or more seconds for the officaal to get in position behind the furthest back Offensive player.

I will look for the RR if you really need proof that Manning was complaining about a penalty called against him. This isnt his first I am sure.

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    heres the RR:

Aug. 27, 2010 11:59 p.m. - The Colts weren't happy with how quickly the ball was spotted Thursday night. "It certainly didn't seem like (the game officials) took some of the things we do -- and other teams do -- into account when they made the rule," QB Peyton Manning said. Colts RapidReports

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Peyton Manning, Bill Polian rip NFL's new umpire alignment
    Posted by Michael David Smith on August 30, 2010 9:50 AM ET

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and G.M. Bill Polian are still steaming over the illegal snap penalties that were called in last week's preseason game, saying that the league's decision to move the umpires to the offensive side of the field -- and require the offense to wait to snap the ball until the umpire is in position -- could devastate their offense.

"I am dead-set against the penalty,'' Polian told Peter King of SI.com. "It is insane. If I knew it would be this way, I'd have voted against it, and not only that, I'd have crusaded against it.''

Manning thinks the Colts' comeback against the Patriots last year -- the most memorable game of the regular season, thanks to Bill Belichick's surprising decision to go for it on a crucial late fourth down -- never would have happened if the Colts had been barred from snapping the ball until the umpire got behind the running back, as the new rule requires.

"If we had this rule last year,'' Manning said, "there's no way we catch up in that New England game. We were down, what, 21 points in the fourth quarter? We wouldn't have had enough time to run enough plays to catch up. But forget about that game. Let's chart all the comeback wins where a team runs the hurry-up in the fourth quarter. How many of those games would have ended up the same way -- or would the quarterbacks have had enough time to run enough plays to come back and win?''

Whether Manning is correct about that particular game or not, he's definitely correct that there's a significant unintended consequence of the league's decision to move the umpires. Even NFL VP of officiating Carl Johnson admits that.

"The way the new mechanic of the umpire positioning is, I don't have a resolution to that,'' Johnson told King. "It's going to take a couple extra seconds to spot the ball. There's no way around that."

This is a rule change that has the potential to be a nightmare for no-huddle offenses.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    After seeing a few penalties on this and the play where Peyton was flagged - this rule is crap.

Move the ref back or get another out of shape slob to spot the ball.

This is going to cause problems. Peyton is right unfortunately.

11. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    A big part of Peyton's game is not allowing defensive substitutions as well as trying to catch the defense in the middle of trying to substitute players. I know it was within the rules for him to do this in the past, but I think this new rule will level the field a little bit. If it hurts Peyton and the Colts I am all for it. My.02.

12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I dont like the potential it has to slow up a HU offense by about 3-4 seconds, but I can live with it. Have you seen the vid put together of all of last year only Umps gettin taken out like paper dolls? I think one the best things they could do is get a younger/thinner guy that can backpeddle a little faster for the sake of the game. Granted this will suck since some officals will always be slower on some things than others.

13. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
  14. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers weigh in on umpire controversy

By Kevin Acee , UNION-TRIBUNE
    Monday, August 30, 2010 at 7:50 p.m.

Peyton Manning is angry, and it sounds like Philip Rivers and Norv Turner would be too.
    “It’s a problem,” Rivers said. “We’re down 11 with five minutes to go and we have to wait and look for people to snap? It’s an issue.”
    Rivers and Turner recalled the Chargers' 22-21 victory over the Chiefs in December 2008, in which they scored two touchdowns in the final four minutes, 55 seconds to overcome an 11-point deficit.
    "It is a concern of everyone in the league," Turner said. "... I’m not sure that you are able to go as fast as you would like to and come back from that deficit."
    Manning was upset about two penalties incurred by the Indianapolis Colts for snapping the ball before the umpire was set in their exhibition Thursday at Green Bay.
    The problem arises from a change this season in where the umpire lines up. Where he used to be five yards from the line of scrimmage on the defensive side of the ball, the umpire is now 12 yards in the offensive backfield. Since it is the umpire who places the ball between snaps, players have talked since learning of the change that it would slow down games.
    In fact, during the final two minutes of halves, the umpire will return to his former spot on the defensive side.
    The change was made after years of study and concern over umpires repeatedly being run into in the course of games.
    In the article linked to in the first sentence of this blog, Sports Illustrated 's Peter King quotes a league official saying the rule is being tweaked.
    Manning is upset due to the frequency with which the Colts use the hurry-up offense.
    "I’m glad to hear that they are talking about it," Turner said. "And I’m sure they will tweak it where you are able to get the ball snapped as quickly as you would like.”
    Rivers’ suggestion is that late in a game a team that is behind could “declare” it is going to go into a hurry-up offense and the umpire would return to his spot on the defensive side of the ball.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    ****** rule is ******.

16. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    NFL reportedly will adjust where umpire is stationed

• NFL.com
    • Published: Aug. 31, 2010

The NFL will inform teams Tuesday about tweaks to where the umpire will be stationed in the offensive backfield, The New York Times reported.

The adjustments are in response to a new rule that moved the umpire from the middle of the defense to 14 to 17 yards behind the offense for safety reasons. That was adjusted to 12 yards back after the Hall of Fame Game so the ball could be spotted quicker. Still, the rule drew criticism from Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, whose team was penalized twice for snapping the ball before the umpire was in position during a preseason game Thursday.

The latest tweaks, made after a conference call that included members of the league's competition committee, include requiring the umpire only to be standing behind the deepest member of the offiense, and quarterbacks can look at officials near the sidelines to get the go-ahead to snap the ball, rather than turn around and look for a signal from the umpire.

17. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Bad rule

It's a bad rule. The officials need to be stationed somewhere else...I don't have an objection to the backfield (the were getting slaughtered where they were), or they need to hustle. Could mean more in shape or younger refs. It isn't a Manning thing and although I root against the Colts with great joy, it will hurt all teams, including ours in defining come from behind moments. It's bad enough to whistle the play dead, but to make it a penalty is just stupid.

Thoughts from a noob (1st post).

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I like faster Umps that can get in positoin faster for the fix.

19. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well that didnt take very long.

NFL.com news: NFL reportedly will adjust where umpire is stationed

The NFL will inform teams Tuesday about tweaks to where the umpire will be stationed in the offensive backfield, The New York Times reported.

The adjustments are in response to a new rule that moved the umpire from the middle of the defense to 14 to 17 yards behind the offense for safety reasons. That was adjusted to 12 yards back after the Hall of Fame Game so the ball could be spotted quicker. Still, the rule drew criticism from Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, whose team was penalized twice for snapping the ball before the umpire was in position during a preseason game Thursday.

The latest tweaks, made after a conference call that included members of the league's competition committee, include requiring the umpire only to be standing behind the deepest member of the offense, and quarterbacks can look at officials near the sidelines to get the go-ahead to snap the ball, rather than turn around and look for a signal from the umpire.

20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Let's put pink tutus on the refs so the don't get hurt! Let's also put them on a diet so they can GTFO of the way.