1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cubs want Bochy

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by SDRaiderH8er, Oct 13, 2006.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,057
    http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061013&content_id=1711265&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

The Chicago Cubs are interested in discussing their vacant managerial position with Padres manager Bruce Bochy and are seeking permission from San Diego management to interview him, according to published reports.
    Bochy, signed through 2007 with an estimated $1.9 million due him for next season, has drawn interest from the Cubs in the past. The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that Cubs general manager Jim Hendry expects to meet with Bochy soon.

Bochy, the Padres' manager for the past 12 seasons, has led the club to the postseason in back-to-back seasons as National League West champions. It is the first time in franchise history that has happened.

In both cases, however, the Padres were bounced from the first round by St. Louis -- in a three-game sweep in 2005 and in four games this season.

With the Cardinals hobbling into the playoffs after a difficult September and the Padres coming off a 21-9 finish, putting together the best record in the league (19-9) in September, San Diego appeared to be in a good position to reach the National League Championship Series for the first time since 1998 when the club was on its way to the World Series.

But hitting problems -- the Padres were 2-for-32 with runners in scoring position -- short-circuited the effort, and the Cards moved on.

Dusty Baker's contract with the Cubs was not renewed earlier this month after four seasons as manager.

Lyle Spencer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

2. T10

T10 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I heard about this today. Bochy is cool, but I don't mind if we go another direction. I really don't think that Boch can take us any further.

3. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,057
    There have been times when I did blame Bochy for some of the things that have been happening. It would be hard to look into the dugout and see someone else in there, and sometimes change is good.

I have not thought much about it, but it does make for some great Baseball talk this off-season.

We fired our batting coach, and yet we still have an anemic offense. We just set a record for runners left on base against the Cards, and how many strikeouts did we have against the Cards?

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,886
    If he splits, who replaces Bochy?

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Dusty Baker and Felipe Alou are available if Bochy goes.

6. T10

T10 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Accoriding to this, the CUbs favor Piniella

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2625334

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Boch has done a great job. His team won the division twice with less talent than other teams in the divison. Dont discount what Botch brings to the team.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    take him,

The pads need to spend some money and get a manager in there that can motivate

every time I watched this year they seemed to be going through the motions

but, that might just be me!

:icon_shrug:

9. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    bochy is a pads lifer. dont let him go anywhere.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,886
    Cubs signed Lou Pinella

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,057
  12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I heard on ESPN Radio that the Pads have given the Giants permissionta talkta Boch.

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Man Slug, they can't be the direction the Pads wanna go if they let Boch go!!

14. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Bochy has 'quiet day,' and no talks
    UNION-TRIBUNE

October 18, 2006

ST. LOUIS – One day after telling the Padres that he will talk to an outside club, believed to be the Giants, manager Bruce Bochy enjoyed a slow day in Poway.
    “I had no talks,” Bochy said yesterday. “It's been a quiet day. I'm just going about my business. I have no expectations.”
    Bochy said there is a “good possibility” he will talk with an outside club soon but said “it's not a definite.”
    He added, “I have not set up anything.”
    –TOM KRASOVIC

Personally, I can't see Boch up against that steroided monster that is Barroids. Plus, Boch seems to favor veterans, and from what I've heard, the Gnats are going to go young next year. Doesnt seem like a good fit to me.:no:

• Like Like x 1