1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cushing Keeps Defensive ROY Award

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, May 12, 2010.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5183620

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Remember Merriman? :icon_shrug:

3. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I wonder what Jason Taylor thinks about this? :icon_rofl:

I'm glad Cushing still won.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Julius Peppers still won the DROY award in 2002 *AFTER* he was suspended four games for ephedra way back when.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I'll assume that 50% + of the players are taking somekind of PED, and I don't really care, I wan't faster, bigger, stronger players, it's their body not mine

I know about the message this sends to HS players, but then again they are old enough to understand the risks involved

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Merriman popped in April, 6 months before the season, not September. Either way, I don't care. I just wanted to put out the facts

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I find it interesting that Merriman is used as the poster boy for PED's in the NFL when what he tested positive for wasn't even on the list of banned substances at that time.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is a diet supplement, not a drug that help you produce more testosterone. Big difference.

As for Cushing, all the reports say they he took multiple tests within days of the failed test, all of which came back clean. And the one test that he did pop on, the level of the stuff was so low, that last year they wouldn't have even been considered a failure.

Personally, I am 100% for cleaning up the league, but in this instance, all the evidence point toward a BS test.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yes it was, or he wouldn't have been suspended. They would have had zero legal ability to suspend him if the stuff wasn't on the list.

But the fact is, and the commish confirmed it, at the time he was suspended, he had been tested over 20 times since coming into the league, and had only one failure 6 months before the season even started. IMO, he was a 22 years old kid who made a mistake, and was told by his con-artist agent to deny it rather than owning up to the mistake.

He popped once, and once only, so there is no reason to believe it was anything but a one time mistake in the off season before a kids 2nd year.