1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Cut him or keep him?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Scheme

There's a few things to consider when trying to figure out if McClain would fit into Mike McCoy's new offense. First, McCoy used Fullbacks in Denver (Spencer Larsen andJacob Hester). Ken Whisenhunt also used them in his Arizona system. However, that doesn't mean that Le'Ron can be the type of Fullback that they're looking for.
    McCoy, Whisenhunt and new Offensive Line Coach Joe D'Alessandris are going to spend the new few years switching the Chargers from a "power blocking" scheme to a "zone blocking" scheme. Power blocking relies mostly on strength and size, guys like Jared Gaither are brought in with the intention of pushing one guy backwards. Zone blocking relies more on assignments and scheme, and the players that fit it best tend to be smaller and faster. Le'Ron McClain is neither small nor fast.
    Contract

Le'Ron McClain is owed $2.25 million this year by the San Diego Chargers, and his overall cap hit would be $3,083,333 if he were to make the Week 1 roster.
    McClain signed a 3-year deal with the team last year for $8.25 million. $2.5 million of that came in the form of a signing bonus, which is pro-rated out for his yearly signing bonus cap hit. In this case, the Chargers take a cap hit of $833,333 each year from that signing bonus. If they were to release him, that cap hit from the signing bonus gets accelerated into the current year's salary cap.
    To put it simply, the Chargers take a $3,083,333 cap hit if Le'Ron McClain is on the team in 2013. They take an even higher cap hit next year if he makes the 2014 team as well. If they release him, they take a cap hit of $1,666,666 (ominous, I know) in 2013.
    So, $1.6 million for McClain to walk away or $3 mil for McClain to stay on the team?
    Performance

Here are Le'Ron McClain's grades for the last three seasons, according to Pro Football Focus (Zero should be considered "average" and the higher the number, the better):
    • 2010 (Ravens): -3.6 overall / -0.9 rushing / -0.2 receiving / -3.1 pass blocking / 1.0 screen blocking / 0.4 run blocking
    • 2011 (Chiefs): -0.8 overall / -0.3 rushing / 1.6 receiving / 2.7 pass blocking / 0 screen blocking / -4.3 run blocking
    • 2012 (Chargers): -3.8 overall / -1.2 rushing / 0.4 receiving / 2.0 pass blocking / 0 screen blocking / -6.5 run blocking
    This is not a good Fullback. This is a guy who is kind of okay at pass blocking and quite poor at most other things that Fullbacks are supposed to do. Next year he's scheduled to be the 2nd highest paid Fullback in the NFL.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    I've said it already in another thread. If McClain is kept he'll be moved full-time to (power) running back. His scheduled pay is extrememly high for a FB, but pretty middle of the road for an RB. I wouldn't be shocked to see either a journeyman H-Back type fullback (possibly even Hester brought back and actually fitting well this time) brought in or a late round pick or priority UDFA signing put towards that sort of player.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,396
    Who needs a FB anyway? I have it on good authority that Whiz is going to throw it every down. ;)

• Funny x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  4. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    You're not talking about that 'redteamgo' fellow, are you?

I actually wouldn't mind testing McClain to see if he can still line up as a halfback and power up the middle the way he used to in Baltimore.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I would welcome that. I wouldn't mind it at all. Having Mathews, McClain, and Baker right now in the backfield. I would like to draft another or sign another explosive guy to back Mathews for sure.

I don't get why everyone is against drafting a RB in the 3rd or 4th round. Look at Bernard Pierce. Ray Rice isn't known for fumbling like Ryan Mathews is, but when Rice fumbles or is struggling, they had Pierce to step in and do more than enough. There are a few guys in this RB draft class I would take in the 3rd or 4th.

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    This is a DEEP RB class in terms of guys who, while they may never be "special," can definitely be 3-down backs (i.e. they come in with solid pass-blocking fundamentals). And by deep I mean 7-9 guys deep, pretty easily. This is why I can't get on board with the idea of signing ANY free agent RB, the college RB is flooding the draft pool these days because they realize that most of them only have a limited amount of carries their bodies can take before their earning potential falls off a cliff so they're striking as soon as possible. I'm not terribly keen on the idea of spending a 3rd round pick on the position - mostly because of the depth of this class, but also because Rounds 1-3, IMHO, should be used to always grab whatever the best value is (preferably where that value best lines up with need or anticipated need). From the 4th on, as long as the player's got a reasonable ceiling, I've got no issue drafting for relative need and depth.

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I'd love Montee Ball if he fell to us in the 3rd. But for 4th rounders, I like Stephan Taylor, the guy can run between tackles and outside, and pass protect, which is something a lot of college running backs don't do, and struggle in the NFL with it. Mike Gillislee, Kenjon Barner and Jonathan Franklin are other guys I like for specific reasons as well.

8. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    I'd take a gamble on Lattimore from the 5th on down, maybe the 4th. No way he makes it there though