1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Cut Jim Edmonds

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, May 4, 2008.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I'm the charter member of the Cut Jim Edmonds jihad

who's with me? :icon_evil:

2. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    This is but one answer to the puzzle. He is the worst hitter on the team. Quite a few others have hitting woes as well.
    Bard is hitting .212. A catcher hitting .212? With Edmonds at .181 and Hairston at .200, our OF is not giving us the production expected of them. Gonzo is the only hitter over .300, at .302.

Unfortunately, my favorite part of the team, the bullpen, has not been solid. Part of our success has been a solid bully. This year it is inconsistent. Today, it was horrible.

They are seriously considering replacing Germano in the starting rotation. he is the weakest link. REplacing him with Rusch or Ledezma wont get it done. It says they are also considering a extremely rusty Estes, who is doing well in Portland, to replace him. Hensley still has to build arm strength back up.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Cut Edmonds, acquire reggie willits as the long term solution

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I'd take Willits over Edmonds, but I don't think he is the long term answer.

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I wanted to cut him the day they signed him :yes:

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    But you didn't start the jihad, I did :icon_twisted:

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Yeah, that was a :icon_huh: :icon_wtf:

Left hitting aging CF with diminishing power. Just what we needed at petco....

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    To be fair, it was a gamble that didn't cost them much.

If he was able to get back to his pre-injury form it would have been worth it, but that's obviously not the case looking at it now.

9. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I say we see if we can trade Kouzmanoff for a CF and bring up Headley and move him back to 3rd base. He is way to slow to ever be an effective outfielder in Petco.

10. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I just looked at the stats and Mike Cameron, despite being suspended for the first 25 games of the season, has more HR and RBI's than Jim Edmonds does! LMAO.

11. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    We already had one of those guys in Giles. His power left him three or even four years ago and now he is our leadoff hitter. How embarrassing is that?

At least they got rid of Marcus Giles which was another move i hated when they got him.

Kevin Towers sucks but i do understand that his hands are tied because Moores wont spend any money but has no problem raising prices all the time.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I wouldn't mind that if the return on Kouz was decent.

I wouldn't trade him just to trade him, though.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Towers doesn't suck.

He's not looking too good this year because of the product on the field, but he's the same guy that's had the team in playoff contention every year since PetCo's opened (till this year) despite the salary restrictions.

This year is a combination of the bullpen suddenly going to **** out of nowhere, Maddux and Hoffman showing their age, and the Jim Edmonds gamble not paying off. (Edmonds wasn't even their first target, I don't think, but became a fall back plan after other attempts failed.)

Kevin Towers is still the guy who traded an relief pitcher who's not even pitching anymore due to injury (I still like him, though) and a ****** starting pitcher for Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young.

Not to mention Josh Barfield for Kouzmanoff

And I'm starting to think something needs to be done with PetCo.

Adrian's home/away splits are ridiculous.

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Pit made out in that trade. I would much rather have Bay then him and never understood that move in the first place. Was it just because he was a hometown guy?

15. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't want the Padres to cut Jim Edmonds. :no:

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    OH NO....WE SUCK AGAIN!

17. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I wouldn't either. It's just that he is about the only tradable player we have with a replacement in AAA.

18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    wait...cut just Edmonds? lol

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Cut Edmonds for sure
    bring up Will Venerable if your not going to try and acquire a Willits or a Hamilton or a Crisp

20. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah whatever...the division sucked during that time so winning a division with a .500 record isnt anything to give props to. When you shoot for medioracy and the rest of the division shoots to get better, then you end up sucking.

Welcome to that :yes:

I mean we were a .500 ballclub during that time and we are even worse now. I cant say Towers sucks to that?

BULLSHIT!!

Keep signing and sticking with old players and sooner or later it is going to bite you in the ***.

Sure, he hits em every now and then and that was a great trade but they are few and far between ....now go out and get somebody who can hit that isnt ready to retire. Having Brian Giles as your leadoff man is ridiculously embarrrassing. He isnt fast and he has no friggin power at all anymore. Get a real leadoff hitter with some speed and replace Giles with somebody who can hit for power. Peavy may out homer Giles this year.

I hope Moores sells the team to somebody who will want to win a championship because he sure doesnt.

21. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Playoff contention? I guess you can call it that but how many games have we won in the playoffs the last two series? If your proud of that, more power to you. But what they accomplished by winning the division titles them two years didnt get me excited. The west was pretty weak and we never ran away with the title. We stumbled across the finish accidently winning. Padres suck. paper bag it!!

22. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    5 years into the new stadium and cheap *** Moores is fulfilling his promise to field a competetive team year and year out.

Alderson has stated that they are waiting for the minor leaguers to arrive before deciding what the teams direction will be. In other words, plan on sucking for another 3 years. Minimum.

23. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Here is the big problem for the front office: the Padres are not a competitive team. The illusion that we were somehow a good team was something they could get away with when the rest of the division was awful. Now that every team but the Giants has improved over the past year or two and the Padres have gotten older, slower, and have a worse bullpen, the lack of talent has been exposed. Given their flat out refusal to spend money on bringing in a talented free agent still in his prime, I really don't expect this team to do much until the young kids come up - and that is only if they actually picked some players that can play in the majors (i.e. no more Ben Davis or Sean Burroughs).

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

the problem with that scenario is the front office will trade any young talent for washed up has beens before they play any role on our major league roster

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

25. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    So pretty much, we are screwed for the next 5 years. Our team will be staggered, meaning we will have good pitching for the next years then when they get old, maybe we will have a good offense and bad pitching. Like the chargers of past years, good defense, horrible offense. We finally caught up. Stop trading your farm system away, maybe the will help.

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the fans of the Pads are royally screwed until the current owners sell the team to someone that knows how and wants to put a championship team on the field. Until then sorry SD.

Follow the D-Backs

:tup:

27. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    But if you listen to Coach Kentera, he had no idea why the team ever gave up on either Burroughs or Davis. Or Barfield. :lol:

According to Alderson, the FO thinks that we have a better minor league system than anyone in the West. :unsure:

and if I have to listen to Leitner talk the big league club up for another second with his "all they have to do is start hitting" or "this is the best hitting Padre Team in years, I truly believe it" crap, I might vomit.

There are a couple of prospects that sound interesting, but I have only heard about them on 1090, aka the teams mouth piece.

At least Petco is a great stadium, I guess... :icon_shrug:

Thank AJ for the Chargers...

28. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I despise the D-pukes. :tdown:

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Dongers?