1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cutler further along than the two QBs taken ahead of him

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Aug 18, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/...the-two-QBs-taken-ahead-of-him.html?post=true

As of right now, Jay Cutler is the best quarterback of the 2006 rookie draft class. Cutler, the Denver Broncos' quarterback, is better than Tennessee's Vince Young and Arizona's Matt Leinart. There's no question about it.

Young was No. 3 overall of that draft by Tennessee and Leinart went 10th to Arizona. Cutler was taken by Denver with the next pick. The third QB taken that year is ahead of the first two quarterbacks.

Last weekend's preseason action is proof of it. Cutler followed up a nearly flawless training camp and two days of slicing up the Cowboys in a joint workout by completing 16 of 20 passes against the Cowboys on Saturday night. Cutler completed his first 12 passes of the game.

While Cutler was flourishing in Denver, Leinart was trying to find his game in Kansas City. Leinart had to come off the bench because Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt decided to start veteran Kurt Warner instead. Leinart was shaky at first but he rebounded and completed 7 of 11 passes for 62 yards and led the Cardinals on a touchdown drive.

But let's face it. Leinart is entering his third season and he is in a quarterback battle with a player who now must be considered a journeyman. Sure, Leinart missed most of last season with an injury, but he has a long way to go before he can prove he is ready to be difference-making quarterback in the NFL.

On Friday night, Young, who regressed as a passer at times last season, struggled mightily against visiting Oakland. Young couldn't generate any offense. He completed 4 of 13 passes for 37 yards in five drives. Young was even booed some by the Tennessee fans.

Young is far from a lost cause. He is wonderful with his legs and he is a proven winner. Young will be the Titans' quarterback for a long time. There's no denying that.

There's also no denying that he isn't as far as long as an NFL quarterback as Cutler is. I have backup support here. In an ESPN.com story by Mike Sando last year, Cutler was expected to do big things, according to NFL scouts.

He appears ready to do them, while the first two quarterbacks selected in the 2006 draft are still trying to find their way.

Cutler is playing at a high level. Who knows which one of the three will end up being the best NFL quarterback, but there is no denying that, right now, Cutler is the best.

Really? Cutler hasn't had a winning season since high school.

• Like Like x 1
  2. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

and will probably be better than Rivers.

3. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    dude just let it go or go root for the donks

• Like Like x 1
  4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    • Like Like x 1
  5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Man I hope you're not too attached to those little green boxes. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  6. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    For someone who seems so attached to the physical attributes/measurables of a QB (arm strength), you seem to care less about measurables when it comes to cheering for WR.

:icon_shrug:

7. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942

Yes, it's true. The boy from Santa Claus, Indiana has not had a winning season in college or the pros, but somehow he's the best.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Well, given the "otbher two", its not that hard to accept.

9. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Bill "Slick Willie" Williamson is just laying ground work for some major knob slobber if/when Cutler actually wins a regular season game. I am beginning to believe "Willie" misses his old job for the Denver Post... :yes:

10. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    And you wonder why you continue to get "red bomb's". :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm surprised he still has any :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  12. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    He didn't until just a few days ago. Then he got some sympathy votes. :yes:

13. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127

Cutlet's arm strength is so overrated..i'd put like one attribute point more than pennignton in the "gun slinger" section. Ask for the other two i don't really know because leinart played pretty good but than got injured and...vince hasn't had any good wideouts but is a really good runner for his size......and positon.

14. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    btw. am i missing something here...are you like a confused bolts fan :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  15. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    Just send him a "red bomb". :icon_rofl:

You'll get to know poof. :icon_party:

16. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Prediction:

Both Young and Leinart will win more games than Cutler this season. :yes:

17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
  18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Captain of the Titanic?? :icon_eek:

19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Well, if you're talkin about winning games...:icon_mrgreen:

20. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Lienhart, maybe.

But no way Vince Young.

Vince Young led his team to the playoffs.

Cutlet doesn't even have a winning record. :lol:

These writers are delusional if they think Cutlet is better than Young.

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    But everybody keeps saying Cutler is the next coming, why does he need to actually do something to prove it? If people keep saying it, it has to be true, right?

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Does Betty Ford treat this sort of thing? If you get in now, you'll only miss the first two games.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    what's that old quote? "If you keep telling a lie often enough it will become truth"?
    And I have no idea why in the world Cutler gets so much knob action - Leinart's the playboy from Los Angeles and Vince Young is the Texas super star. How does a punk from Indiana who played for a third rate team in college and gets drafted by a faltering team get all this love?

At least with the 04 class you could make a case for Rivers being #3 (He hasn't won a ring yet) but this is just slobbering BS

24. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    With Vince Young at least, you can actually, validly, make the argument that he has won games by himself.

25. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    So Cutler's a dwarf among midgets, big deal.

26. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Betty Ford would simply pimp-slap the guy and tell him to grow up. :yes:

27. Chico Andy

Chico Andy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    He reminds me a lot of Jeff George. Big arm, losing record, lots of of praise.

Sounds like he is playing well though. I definitely respect him as an opponent.

28. BroncoFan

BroncoFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Dont hate on my boy!! Just cause the kid had been playin for a year and a half with untreated type one diabetes (thats prolly spelled wrong, as you can tell i dont care about spelling or grammar) You all talk your trash. Ill man up and be honest i used to trash PR all the time in SD untill the second half of last season, now i repect the guy greatly Phil is a leader and a good one. Cutler hasnt had the kind of supporting cast that your golden boy did since high school, he played at vanderbilt for cryin out loud. Youll see big things from him this year just wait. I got love and respect for the chargers but dont be biased to where you cant recognize a kid with a golden arm when you see him.

Its not a coincidence Jay Cutler shares the same initials as Jesus Christ

Thats a joke but seriously he's destined for greatness in this league

29. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942

Puulease....Cutler sucks more than your mom at a truck stop.

30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Broncofan
    I'm sorry but you guys would have never cut us the same slack if we were whining about 'our QB's so good but he has a bad supporting cast'. Your cast does suck, and yeah Cutler's got a great arm, but I find his attitude to be poor and he just doesn't seem to make the pieces around him better which is what a great QB should do.