1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

cya later Manusky

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Brundlefly, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Per Acee Twitter

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Salve to the seasonal wound.

Now Dean, go get a real defensive coordinator please!

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]
    sdutChargers S.D. U-T Chargers

Early favorite (in the clubhouse) for new Chargers DC is LB coach John Pagano.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Has this news been verified?

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/05/manusky-fired/

Kevin Acee
    Despite a defense by Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner -- twice -- this week, defensive coordinator Greg Manusky has been fired.
    A source at Chargers Park and a league source told UT San Diego that Manusky was informed this morning.
    Another source indicated that Chargers linebackers coach John Pagano is in line to replace Manusky.
    Manusky was hired in March to replace Ron Rivera, who left to become head coach of the Carolina Panthers.
    The Chargers defense fell from No.1 in yards allowed in 2010 to 15th and, more importantly, from 10th to 22nd in points allowed.
    While Turner said Manusky did a good job considering the injuries that befell the defense, many in the organization, including several players, had been convinced for some time that hiring Manusky was a mistake.

Nice to know Dean can do ONE thing intelligent this week, though apparently Norv was fighting hard to keep Manusky.

6. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Promote Pagano

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Well, UCLA would just loooove us. (I know, I know... who gives a **** about UCLA, I'm just sayin'...)

Not saying I'm not intrigued by Pagano - though that's mostly off his brother's name, and as Ron Turner and Kirk Schottenheimer have shown us just because one brother is a relative-competent coordinator does not automatically translate to the other brother being the same.

Wilkes is more the same crap we've been putting up with. Sorry, but outside of Weddle find me a DB on this team that isn't incredibly soft or poorly disciplined (you could take Jammer off the discipline infractions, but not the former). Moreover - we've been sold the continuity bill, more times than one, and just promoting Wilkes (or even Pagano) may well not be enough to salve the wounds created by "We're enacting change, but we're also keeping Norv and AJ" decisions.

Watch Miami closely. A lot is going to depend on who the hire is, but given some of the guys they're interviewing and pursuing there is no guarantee they stick with the 3-4 (even if that's what they're built to run), particularly if they hire Fisher (he's a 4-3 guy, 4-3 over at worst, but he wants things run his way, not Mike Nolan's). If Mike Nolan becomes available that should be the top candidate on our list.

I doubt Spanos will fork over the money for Mangini, but - and mind you this is purely him as a coordinator not as a HC - he's a proven option, though I'm personally a little hesitant about the attitude he brings (a little too "smiles and sunshine" for my liking from a DC).

We could go digging into the SF staff and get the guy that perhaps we should have gotten in the first place - Jim Tomsula, who has past DC credentials and moreover he's been there firsthand for the transition and witnesses the processes by which SF's went from "Manusky'd" to the #2 defense in the league, in terms of both scheme and attitude adjustments.

Then there's my leftfield suggestion, though not one I necessarily expect to get much of an opportunity (at least from us; I won't be surprised if Fisher tries to snag him as DC wherever he ends up): Ken Norton Jr. The guy knows how to develop talent, he's familiar with the traditional 3-4, the 4-3 over, and a number of hybrids. He's effectively serves as the Assistant Coach defense for a pro team anyway during his tenure in that position with USC. And, unlike Manusky, he is very much, as Teddy KGB would say, agg-ree-ess-eev.

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I hope there are some outside candidates as well. No offense to our guys, but they need to get this hire right.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Agreed, I'd think of guys like Winston Moss from GB and as LBC mentioned Ken Norton sounds intriguing. Only issue is you'd have to find a coordinator who is willing to go on Norv's staff for one year baring a super bowl (Norv has another yr like this, clean sweep and the DC is likely gone with the bathwater). As such I think Pagano is the likely choice, he needs the chance to step up and prove he can be a DC. I'd accept him and he's getting alot of respect and love from the players (so take that for what its worth)

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Chargers should be looking for a head coach-defense
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2012, 2:08 PM EST

As previously reported, the San Diego status quo goes only so far. The Chargers officially have fired defensive coordinator Greg Manusky.

“I’d like to thank Greg for the passion and enthusiasm he brought to our team and coaching staff this past season,” coach Norv Turner said in a statement released by the team.

Apparently, passion and enthusiasm doesn’t get it done, absent more wins than losses. The team points out in the official announcement that the defense has taken a nosedive in one year under Manusky. “San Diego’s defensive ranking dropped to 16th overall, including 20th against the run and 13th against the pass, after leading the NFL in total defense and pass defense in 2010,” the statement, um, states. “The Chargers’ defense on third down struggled in 2011, falling to last in the NFL after finishing fourth overall in 2010.”

Though the stay-the-course reasoning that saved Turner could have also saved Manusky, the reality is that the Chargers need something more than a defensive coordinator. They need a head coach-defense to go along with Turner, the team’s head coach-offense.

That’s precisely what the Texans did this year, with head coach-defense Wade Phillips saving head coach-offense Gary Kubiak’s job by transforming a horrible defense into a great one.

And so look for the Chargers to move to the front of the Spagnuolo line, offering him plenty of money and the keys to the defense.

The opportunity could be an attractive one for Spagnuolo, based on what he told Anthony Gargano over the weekend on FOX Sports Radio: “I was very blessed to share an experience in New York where we won a Super Bowl and have that ring that everybody’s shooting for. I came here in hopes that the people here would be able to experience that. So what drives me is being able to bring that for other people, and we hope to continue to do that.”
    Spags can continue to do that in San Diego, if he’s interested in becoming a head coach-defense.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]
    sdutChargers S.D. U-T Chargers

Players I talked to past few days overwhelmingly wanted Manusky gone. Many endorsed John Pagano and/or DB coach Steve Wilks as replacement.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I was going to say that too, Mike Nolan has done some trumendous things down in Miami with that Defense.. Mike Nolan also is apart of the Norv Turner coaching tree so I expect him, Pagano, or even Crennel as someone else mentioned..

Great atleast we fired ONE coach..

15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Wow not a good sign that players wanted him gone.. this is the NYJ!!!!

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Moss has got the Asst. HC tag on his ear in GB - the only way he leaves is for a HC position and the Packers made sure of that.

What you see as a negative though (Norv's on-thin-ice status) I think a number of DC candidates (particularly those who have been HC's in the past - Nolan/Crennel) might view as positives for themselves. Spanos has already shown a propensity to hire/promote from within, so if the team gets off to a mid-season slide like it did this season there's potential that at the very least they're going to get another (interim) HC audition to showcase their wares to both our team and the rest of the league. If they come in and do good things with our defense (which every quality DC is convinced that he can do with any unit) then again... they're going to put themselves in high demand for HC consideration in 2012 (if not here then somewhere else).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I wonder if one of them has the nickname TKO. ;)

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
  19. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Great News!

I think my first choice has to be Nolan. Cant for the life of me figure out why DEN tryed to take on a 3-4 only to abandon it entirely 2 years later when their new D was top ranked in the leauge.

IMO Romeo is a lock to stay with KC. Either hes the HC and they bring in a OC or hes DC and they bring a OC to HC.

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Not sure why any star DC candidate would want to come here. Norv and AJ have 1 year stay of execution. If that goes south, the staff gets gutted.

21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Glad to see him go. Looks like Pagano is a done deal per Acee too btw.

22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Not neccesarily. If the D turns into a solid Rock and were talkin about say a Mike Nolan being the coach he could easily be considered for a promotion to HC in house. We do promote from within and we obviously shown paitence with coaches. It would be a good bet to take the DC job for 2012 and be the HC before the 2013 season.

23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    [​IMG]

As to Romeo, if they bring in a new HC from outside the organization (they are interviewing Green Bay's OC for example) then the Hunts and Pioli aren't going to force him to take the staff that they assign to him, nor would most legitimate HC candidates accept a hire with those kind of conditions. I'm sure someone like Philbin might look at Crennel's track record with the Chiefs and decide to retain him, but he just a likely could have guys he's worked with in the past that he knows better, trusts more, or just plain is more eager to work with that he'd want to bring in in that capacity. Romeo's no lock to stay in KC unless it's as the Head Coach.

25. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I got my resume filled out....not that impressive as it relates to the job but hey....if ever there was a example of "its about who you know, not what you know" its the Chargers.

Luckily I'm tight with the guy who runs the churro stand in section 36 B so you know.....that makes me more or less qualified than Manusky was.

26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I don't buy it, here's why: If we're bad enough that Norv gets fired, how would the DC do well? Does the offense all of a sudden go south? I doubt we repeat the '10 ST debacle.

If we don't make the playoffs and Norv gets fired, it would make little sense to take anyone off our staff. House would get cleaned at key mgmt and coaching positions.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Well that's good news........ we all know what a great talent evaluator AJ Smith is........... Oh wait! :eek:

28. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    So who fired him? AJ or Spanos? If AJ then why doesn't AJ just fire Norv (follow me on this I know what you're thinking). If Spanos says you can hire and fire who you want but you can't do your due diligence when it comes to the head coach then he's not technically a GM. Giving partial power to a power hungry man such as AJ sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Further more I am not sure I want the fate of our defensive coordinating future in the hands of someone who's career is on thin ice, especially considering he has little power over the head coaching position. Offensive Coordinator is next I assume, and if no fan is happy with AJ or Norv staying, how happy should they be with his decision on OC replacement?

The whole thing just reeks of shoddy business ethics, and lack of experience.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    That's faulty logic. There have been a number of current and former successful head coaches who have come off of the staffs of teams that were slumping or came just short.

If the defense is on the upswing but we're still losing games by extremely close margins (which are still losses and have been one of the signatures of the Norv regime), then whoever is responsible for getting that defense on the upswing is at least worth a look. This league is all about opportunity, be it a one year opportunity or a three year opportunity it's still an opportunity.

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Yeah, but he still carries more respect around the league and among coaching communities than Norv does.

That said... in the "spirit of continuity" watch Wayne Nunnely get consideration for the job (he's like the only positional coach off of Wade's defensive staff here that has yet to get some sort of coordinator opportunity consideration). Not that I'd complain because worse comes to worse at least our DL would get better positional coaching that it's getting now.