1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

D.J. Fluker signed...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/05/d-j-fluker-signs-with-chargers/

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +249
    Good news, looks like we were just waiting for Gaither's money to free up so we had room to sign him.

Now we only really need a veteran nose tackle for depth, and any "bargain watch" type of cuts that other teams may make as the season draws nearer.

Quietly, Telesco has put together a very solid off-season. Definitely steps being made in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    I've said before and I'll say it again

Thank God for the Rookie Salary Cap

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
  5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    According to you. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Can we let Clary go now? Please??

• Like Like x 2
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
  8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,124
    Bully, I say!!

Bully.jpg

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,859
    If that's where he best fits the team to help them win I don't really give a ****.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583

Sure, IF WE WIN nobody will care, but continuously sucking at the RT position when Rivers is under center is not the best way to go. JMO.:coffee:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Dennis-McCoy.jpg

"D.J.Fluker is what we thought he was. Now if you want to move him to guard, then move his ***! But he is what we thought he was, and we're not letting him off the hook!"

12. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +291
    Wait a second. I read on another board people griping that we were paying Clary tackle money to play at guard, now a handful of writers are saying the same thing's gonna happen with Fluker?
    I bet an internet cup of coffee Fluker's first regular season appearance with the boltz is at tackle. Any takers?

13. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +342
    Glad he is signed, now can we please start the season now

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,170
    Huzaaaaah!

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,170
    Can you make it an e-frapacino?

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,859
    Even if we lose but it's not a result of Fluker messing up I still don't care in regards to Fluker. (Obviously there'd be other **** I'd care about and RT may be amongst them)

My main perspective on the matter is, I don't care where he played in college I want him playing where he gives us the best chance of winning. If that's RG then so be it.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +468
    Hey slow thinker, referencing a bunch of articles that just references what Acee thinks doesnt count for much

• Like Like x 2
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I don't really care to be honest.:sleep: Come August when he starts getting turnstiled in the pre-season they'll all suggest a move to RG as if it's a new idea.

I'd like to hear that he lost some 10-15 pounds in pre-season, 340 is too heavy for someone expected to stay in front of Von Miller.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,859
    So it's already set in stone that he's going to get turnstiled? You know this....because you traveled to the future and watched the games perhaps? Or is Kevin Acee a fortune teller?

Screw it then. Let's not waste our time and just cut him now.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,859
    And since Matilack is a time traveler who already knows how the draft picks are going to pan out I'd be interested in how well Te'o and the other picks performed.

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    No I did not time travel:geek: , I did the unthinkable and watched some Fluker game tape. :eek: Holy **** I know, its called doing my own homework rather than reading an ESPN scouting report and taking it for gospel. Albeit Alabama didn't play many good pass rushers this year, he did get beat consistently in the Georgia and A&M games by speed rushers, and Jarvis Jones in particular made him look foolish. He is at home in Alabama's power running scheme with a TE on his shoulder, while McCarron only drops back maybe 20 times a game. But when asked to kick slide he loses his balance too often, he overextends, hell he ends up on the ground a good chunk of the time and thats at the college level. He either doesn't have the feet naturally to mirror fast DEs, or he's playing too heavy, or both.

I'll be fair and mention that McCoy and Wiz may be planning an offense where we run 40+ times and pass only 20-25, in which case he'll probably be a decent RT for that. But in obvious passing situations, or when we're down late in the 4th and we need Rivers to step up it's easy to see why Fluker might get exposed.....and thats when you get the *** clowns like Acee writing articles about possibly getting someone a little quicker out there at RT, and moving Fluker to a position where he can dominate.

And when harmlessly prognosticating becomes banned on this board, just let me know and I'll stop.

22. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +491
    Seems legit.

• Funny Funny x 2
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583

Nothing is written in stone, but there is no harm in predictions.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,859
    You know who else did homework and watched him play in college? Professionals who are paid to scout and grade him and deemed him worthy of a 1st round pick.

Professionals who do this for a living and therefore no doubt spent much MUCH more time than you did likely watching a few Youtube videos here and there and a couple college games. It's nice that you have a basic understanding of Alabama's system but that's a tad different from scouting a specific player on their line.

Somehow I doubt you saw him constantly turnstiled in Alabama if he were deemed worthy of such a high pick.

And none of that has absolutely anything to do with whether or not this will happen in future games that have not been played yet, yet here you are talking like that's already happened.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,859
    There is when you use it to demean somebody's differing opinion calling us "slow thinkers" because we aren't all on the "Fluker will suck as a RT, let's get our pitchforks" bandwagon.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    So you're saying professionals don't make mistakes? They don't overdraft players? Then explain Larry English, Buster Davis, Kenyatta Walker, Dwayne Robertson, Robert Gallery, Matt Leinart, Aaron Curry, Kenechi Udeze, Byron Leftwich, Chris Perry, Troy Williamson, Jerome McDougal etc... If these high paid professionals that you respect so much didn't make mistakes there would be no busts.

All I'm doing is predicting a bit of a misfire by TT and crew, although I do think he's a great fit for RG so not a true bust.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583

You're awful quick to defend Kevin Acee...

Kevin? Is that you?:roflmao:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  28. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +299
    A couple of thoughts on the Fluker situation.

Much is being written regarding a move to guard based solely on Acee's single comment. Although it's hard to argue that the possibility of a move doesn't exist, it's way too early to know much. It's also noteworthy that Acee doesn't have a great track record on such issues and he is still stinging from being denied the sort of access he enjoyed with AJ & Norv.

If Fluker does end up being moved to guard, I wouldn't see that as a draft failure. Remember that all the decent tackles were off the board and a lot of draft guru's had us taking Warmack or Cooper. So perhaps in Fluker what we got was a pro-bowl caliper guard who has the added benefit of being able to play RT in a pinch. Sounds like a smart pick to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Can we at least see what happens when he puts pads on before we declare him a failure and move him to guard??

• Winner Winner x 4
  30. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683

Now why in the world would anyone do something sensible like that!?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1