1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

D.J. Fluker to miss 4-6 weeks with high-ankle sprain

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-c...uker-to-miss-4-6-weeks-with-high-ankle-sprain

Eric D. Williams
    SAN DIEGO -- Chargers coach Mike McCoy confirmed to reporters on Monday that offensive lineman D.J. Fluker suffered an ankle injury, but would not say if his team's starting right guard will miss Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

McCoy said that Fluker has soreness in his ankle, but it's not broken. However, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan reported that Fluker suffered a high-ankle sprain and could miss four-to-six weeks. Fluker is scheduled to have an MRI to determine the full extent of the injury, and is wearing a boot on his left foot to help stabilize it.

Fluker suffered the injury with 5:15 left in the third quarter. On first-and-10 from Detroit's 16-yard line, Fluker had his left leg rolled up on when Detroit defensive tackle Haloti Ngata tackled running back Danny Woodhead into the back of Fluker's leg on a 3-yard run. Fluker had to be taken off the field on a cart.

Swing tackle Chris Hairston replaced Fluker at right guard.

"That was definitely tough (to see)," Chargers center Chris Watt said. "But Chris did a good job stepping in, not really having played right guard all camp or his whole career."

The Chargers could continue to use Hairston in a starting role, or they could move Watt to guard, and bring in reserve center Trevor Robinson as the starter.

"We have a couple options with what we can do," McCoy said. "We'll talk about that as a staff in the next, couple days. We'll go through the week of practice and see what's best for the team on Sunday."

With projected starting right guard Johnnie Troutman out since the first preseason game with a broken forearm, the Chargers moved Fluker from right tackle inside to guard. Fluker missed just one game in his first two seasons playing right tackle.

Last season, the Chargers used five different centers, so juggling the offensive line should not be an issue for San Diego.

"That's why we move guys around so much (in practice)," McCoy said. "Here we are in Week 2, and we had to do it in Week 1 for a number of snaps."

2. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    I hope they leave Watt at center, he needs to settle in at that spot if he's the center of the future. The rest of the line would be left intact as well, so that that's the best option IMO. I think Craig Watts will be available after next week and Troutman the week after.

Good news Fluker isn't done for the season though, so this is near a best case scenario.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Andrea F‏@SanDiegoShorty
    @UTKevinAcee if the Chargers are so big on Watt, they should keep him at center.
    UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee 29m29 minutes ago
    UTKevinAcee retweeted Andrea F
    Except Robinson is a better center than guard and Watt is interchangeable.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Hmmmm if we go with Robinson at center and Watt at RG what happens when Fluker comes back? might we see Watt relegated to backup Guard and Center in emergency?

(not even gona mention the word Troutman)

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Robinson played center, and Watt played guard at ND..... they already know how to work together. Watt never played center until he was drafted by the Chargers. Robinson has only played center as far as I know. The short term solution... until either Troutman or Craig Watt gets back, is to play these guys where they are most comfortable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Maybe for a game, but if Fluker is out for over a month, I don't like it. For a single game it's probably a pretty good idea, because Hairston stays the primary backup, which is good. Watt needs all the experience at center he can get.

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    It may have to be more than one game, so someone will be brought up from the practice squad. Troutman's best case scenario is to be back for the Viking's game, but he may not be ready. Craig Watts will be coming back from his suspension the following week.

8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Now expected only miss a couple weeks!

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That's the benefit of being big boned. ;)

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yeah I heard that. The only way I believe it, is if it's not really a high ankle sprain. I'm sure there are different degrees, but the only guy I've ever seen come back earlier than 3 weeks was Matt Forte, who promptly re-injured it. After the season he said it lingered a lot longer than he thought it would.

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    It wasn't even technically a sprain, more of a scratch really...