1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Damn Eli

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Mobius, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Mobius

Mobius BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Just saying how frustrating it is to see Eli win another Super Bowl. Didn't really want to see Brady win again either so ultimately I didn't get into this Super Bowl a whole lot.

Makes you wonder had Eli wanted to come to SD. I like Rivers a lot, but we let Brees walk and he won, and now the guy drafted to replace Brees has two.

Sent from my Epic CM7 Android via Tapatalk

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    ECry benefits from having an excellent defense, which he wouldn't have here. I also don't believe the Chargers really wanted him, they just took him so they could rape Accorsi. I remember hearing at the time Marty fell in love with Rivers at the Senior Bowl.

And let's not forget that ECry is two dropped passes away from being 0-2 and being the guy who "can't win the big one." Assante Samuel holds onto that pick in 2008 the Giants lose, Wes Welker makes the grab yesterday the Giants most likely lose.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn Eli? No ... damn AJ & the rest of this chicken-**** FO.

4. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Do not concur - just ask Peyton exactly how lousy our franchise is!

As mentioned before, a good bit of luck was involved in both of Eli's SB wins, like the fact that the Giants fumbled the ball 3 times on Sunday, and the only one that the Patriots recovered was wiped out by a 12 men on the field penalty. Don't get me wrong, Eli played good and made the plays when he had to, but he was seriously aided by a gimpy Gronkowski, and a relentless defense that had Tom Brady moving & just a little off target all nigh - and that stupid safety by Brady didn't hurt, take it away and the pats are playing for a field goal at the end, vice needing a touchdown that they nearly got.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So we've had Peyton's number - BFD.

The Giants' defense is what has made up for any deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball.

Make all of the excuses that you feel necessary, but the bottom line is that AJ & Co. have not built the sort of team that wins championships. Spin it any way that makes you feel better.

• Like Like x 2
  6. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    coulda, shoulda, woulda. If Rivers was in NY Rivers would be holding 2 Lombardi's.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    It's not spin, it's simple facts - the 2006 team clearly could've it all, and had they not self destructed against NE, they would've hosted the Colts in the AFC Championship Game the following week - I really like our odds in that scenario.

The next season, we did play in the Confefrence Championship game and I'll go to my grave believing that if we had either Gates or LT even remotely healthy, we beat the Patriots and take our chances in the big game, with a gimpy Philip Rivers or most likely starting the healthy Billy Volek.

Even the 2008 team (yeah, the 8-8 one) had a decent shot, they knocked out the 12-4 Colts but a 3rd Quarter at Pittsburgh that featured only 1 offensive play was a bit much to overcome but had we done it, I'm pretty confident we could've advanced and eventually taken out the Cardinals in the big game.

We've been going in the wrong direction as of late, but to insinuate that we've never had a legitimate shot of winning it all just because you don't approve of our GM & HC, is asinine. Often times in the NFL and in sports in general, the best team doesn't always win but it's not because they are a substandard organization, it's just the way the ball bounces on occasion...

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I didn't insinuate anything regarding never had a chance. Nice try putting words in my mouth. I said straight up .... this team has no balls & it starts with the ownership. You don't like facing the fact that we have no Lombardi's in the case & want to play what if, that's your baby & you can rock it to sleep any way you want. Bottom line is we haven't invested in the positions that are the foundation of a championship team. There were (and maybe still are) those here who thought/think that AJ is the end-all be-all of NFL GM's because he's a hard-*** in negotiations. Well guess what? His "plan" has yielded bupkus & the same folks who shlobbed his nob while crying "BEEF!!!" got screwed from both ends. You know who you are.

Championships are won with both hard work AND a little luck. Eli will always be a bitch IMO for the way that he & daddy handled the draft, but it's sour ******* grapes to say that the Giants' didn't earn their way into the SB & earn the win. They made the plays when it counted, NE didn't. Isn't that how most games go?

It's a team sport - my definition includes the management as well as the coaches, players, trainers, etc. Our management has neglected to address some very key issues/positions that might have gotten us over the top. Your what-if is not a definite & neither is mine, but I firmly believe that AJ's "line'em up 3 deep & let 'em compete" is a bunch of BS bluster. Results would bear some fruit to my belief - what are you sucking on besides more sour grapes & your teeth?

You go to your grave believing whatever you want. Plenty of fans do that & I'll likely be one of them. But to take a crap on what one team accomplished & play the what-if game for the team that you support is, once again, sour grapes.

9. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I didn’t put any words in your mouth, I just responded to your comment that “AJ & Co. have not built the sort of team that wins championships” and although we’ve yet to win one, I disagree. As mentioned before, our 2006 could’ve easily won one, and our 2007 team was quite stacked before injuries to numerous key offensive players in the postseason did us in.
    Our main weakness & biggest reason we didn't win in 2006 was Marty, and he predated AJ.
    Agree with you assessment of Eli, but I never said that the Giants didn’t earn their way or their rings. I stated before that Eli played good and made the plays when he had to, but I also mentioned how much easier that task was made by his teams good fortune in several areas – call it what you will.
    You seem obsessed with some kind of oral fixation, but if that’s you’re situation, don’t try to make it mine. Just because I disagree with your belief that this organization stinks from the top down, it doesn’t mean that I’m sucking on anything or that I want to but I’ve noticed that when someone cannot effectively argue their point, they often resort to the childish tactics of attacking another poster & their motives, and insinuating that they physically desire the person who they happen to be defending which is often not the case. You can think someone is good or at least competent at their job, without wanting to sleep with them…at least, I can!
    I didn’t try to diminish their accomplishment, 2 rings is hard to argue with. Once can be called a fluke, but flukes don’t happen twice. I admitted that they were aided by certain factors, but they still had to score the points & make the stops when it counted, and the Giants did – twice!

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Straw men burn hot.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    If the Chargers had a front four like the Giants have had last two super bowl victories, then Rivers would have two rings for himself. We haven't had a forceful defense since 2009 (maybe) and because of that, we haven't been close since.

Defense wins championships last I checked

• Like Like x 1
  12. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    AJ has stunk at keeping our defense rolling.
    Which hamstrings the 'we just need to get lucky like the Giants' rhetoric . The Giants acquire personnel to mount a decent pass rush, both through free agency and the draft. We don't.

Eli vs Philip is obsolete.

13. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I didn't care who won I was hoping for 2 injured first string quarterbacks and for the second string quarterbacks to finish the game.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Maybe more because he's a far better QB than ECry.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    and how is this team supposed to win, WHEN they cant even beat the Raiders in San Diego.

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Eli proved he's no slouch this year. He's not better than Rivers but he sure is damm close to being.

17. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    It only took him eight years to start playing like the #1 pick overall.

18. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
  19. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
  20. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Not just last year but every year Norv has been here. I can't see how the Chargers will ever win more than the West. Ownership has learned how to just win the West but not the SB. Dean is stuck in a rut that keeps getting the same results year after year.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Riiiiight .... because Norv has been here as coach forever.

Check your history.

22. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    hmm how do I point out the obvious without you feeling bad? I think I kinda said that in the first line. We had stupid mistakes every year. WELL before Norv. So which was your favorite SB that the Chargers WON?

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If wishes were fishes we would all have a fry!

I would also prefer the line the Eagles had with Reggie White...

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't feel bad at all. It doesn't bother me one bit to point out that what you post originally & then say later are different.

Where does your original post point to mistakes that were made WELL before Norv? It says not just last year but every year NORV HAS BEEN HERE. Is English your second language? Sure doesn't seem that you understand what you write very well.

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    San Diego Chargers

The nickname "Fearsome Foursome" was first regularly used to describe the American Football League's Los Angeles/San Diego Chargers' defensive front four, including starters DE Ron Nery, DT Bill Hudson, DT Ernie Ladd, and DE Earl Faison. The Chargers moved to San Diego in 1961, and Faison made overall AFL Rookie of the Year, a rare feat for a defensive player. Alternate members of the group included DE Bob Petrich, DT George Gross, and DE-DT Henry Schmidt. At the time Gross and Ladd were two of the largest and strongest men in Professional Football. The Chargers' Foursome helped them reach the first two American Football League Championship games and five altogether, winning the AFL Championship in 1963 with a 51 - 10 thumping of the Boston Patriots.

This was a very good and consistent team under the original owner, to damn bad Barron Hilton had to sell out. Winning is infectious and it starts at the top. They can sign whoever the hell YOU want and tweak this team until dooms day, if ownership doesn't change neither will the game being played down on the field!

If you fail to train your own dog, then all you have is a dumb dog, don't blame him for pissing in your shoes.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Defense won championships then, defense still wins championships.

27. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    We can go back as far as you would like but that does no good as Norv is the current coach that has control of the players mistakes. Not even Marty has any control of the current roster, Not this year nor the year that Marty was replaced. Bobby Ross has no control nor does Don Coryell have any control of the players mistakes. Only Norv. Now how do you feel?

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Like you should have mentioned ownership first instead of Norv.

Nice backtrack.

29. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    how did I do that? I just had to break it down for you.

30. Navybolt

Navybolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I will bet that if Rivers had gone to the Giants and Eli came to the Chargers, Rivers would be the one wearing the rings and Eli's fingers would be bare. And... if Brees had remained with the Chargers, he'd also have empy ring fingers. BECAUSE, we have an inept G.M. and a lousy coach combined with an owner who either hasn't the brains to realize that or hasn't the balls to do anything about it.

The Chargers MAY start winning if they move from San Diego because Spanos will have give up some control of the team in order to make the move and I am sure his new partners will not be satisfied with what King Smith and Nervous Norv bring to the table...

SMITH and TURNER were given one of the most talented teams in football and ran it into the ground. Neither Bobby Ross nor Don Coryell had the overall talent that Nervous Norv or King Smith were presented.

What a shame. Thank God for DIRECTV and its Football Package. I can watch any team I want and am not restricted to watching an arena football team run by a fool and coached by an inept jerk.

I was a loyal fan of the Chargers over the really bad years ufortunately it looks like we are returning to that dark abyss again...