1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Damon Harrison

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Feb 19, 2016.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    http://boltbeat.com/2016/02/19/chargers-free-agency-target-damon-harrison/

Me like!

2. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    No thanks. I'd rather go after A.Mack and help Rivers.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Wilkerson isn't going anywhere. They'll tag him first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Probably so. I was just saying those 2 players would make me jump for joy. But who knows they did draft leonard willams. The question is how much do they like him

6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    For the love of god, please give us some O-Line help this year.

7. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    In a perfect world, Tunsil would drop to us, we'd spend our second on DL depth, then manage to get a DL upgrade via free agency too. Harrison would help us tremendously.

Hoping we either draft or acquire a center upgrade too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Damon Harrison and Ian Williams are 1a and 1b in my book in top FA's I'd like to sign from outside this organization.

Luckily for us, this year happens to be the best year to acquire D line help in both FA and the Draft. Is FA there are a lot of young starter talent as well as some rotational veteran depth ( which I'd prefer) if they truly like Carreathers and Philon for the future

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    There is help available, all they have to do is spend some money. Mr. Spanos, you do have money, don't you?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    He's highly coveted across the league, so he won't be an easy signing.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Here's a question as a counter

If we can't get Harrison (who would be very expensive) would you rather throw a ton of $ at Malik Jackson?

He's a proven excellent 3-4 DE and while it would take you out of the Buckner discussion you could go Jalen Ramsey in the first and go with an NT either in the second (Billings, Reed if he falls) or the third (Austin Johnson - my favorite NT)

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Harrison is a 2 down run plugger (arguably the best in the league) with no pass rush ability, he's limited to the 0-tech/1-tech type role in a league that values versatility more than ever. I love the guy, and I even said we should give up our 2nd round pick last year to steal him away as an RFA, but I don't think he's going to be SUPER expensive; maybe in the $25-30M range max. Which if we don't believe in Carrethers is worth our attention. Malik Jackson I could see getting $35-40M though.

If I'm being totally honest I'm leaning further and further away from spending big $ on the DL. This draft is flush with talent in that area, and it may pay off to just sign a solid vet like Ian Williams or Cedric Thornton, and just draft the future there. I literally have 13 DT/DE with a top 50 grade, I'm confident we can get what we need in this draft.

Imagine landing DeForest Buckner at 3, and Vernon Butler or Austin Johnson at 35, with Liuget we'd be set in the 3-4 scheme for the next 5-10 years. Now if you combine that with a few high/mid range signings like S Rodney McLeod (25) and CB Trumain Johnson (26) and we'd have recreated our entire situation on defense in one offseason, and still have enough left over to sign Barksdale, Gates, P. Robinson, and Green. If we cut the right people (we all know who they are) we could even afford a stop gap C like Stefan Wisniewski, and a P like Marquette King. It would also leave us free to release Brandon Flowers next year (saving over $7M in cap space) if he fails to rebound from his horrid 2015 performance + an ACL injury.

And all without even mentioning picks in rounds 3-7, which I expect will include 2 compensation picks (Royal and Mathews).

So there it is, my new big pie in the sky offseason plan, that is not so unreachable after doing the math.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    This has nothing to do with the thread, but this seems like the most active topic. I'm not a big CFB guy but I looked up some Jalen Ramsey highlights and I'm sold, he looks awesome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Wouldn't mind bringing in Nick Fairly

15. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i was looking at nfl.com at there 99 free agents , and i wouldnt mind theese, we wont get them all, maybe none, but they're my favorite
    16. Janoris Jenkins, Los Angeles Rams cornerback: He's steadily improved each season in the league and now is a playmaking starter. The Rams won't be able to retain him and Trumaine Johnson

26. Damon Harrison, New York Jets nose tackle: One of the premier run-stuffers in football, there just aren't many humans left on the planet quite like "Snacks."

42. Ian Williams, San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle: He's like "Snacks" Harrison, possibly with more value on passing downs.

53. Dwayne Allen, Indianapolis Colts tight end: It's hard to explain why he never produced with the Coltsbecause his complete skill set is obvious to see.

34. Tashaun Gipson, Cleveland Browns safety: He followed up an incredible 2014 season with a miserable 2015 campaign. He's worth a shot at a discounted price.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm more of a Trumaine Johnson guy, if I were running the Rams and I could only keep one of those two, it'd be him. 6'2 205, long and rangy, solid tackler, 15 INTs over his first 4 seasons, and had his best season came last year when teams started challenging him. He's the guy you line up against Demaryius Thomas.

Under the radar, CB is a big issue for us right now. Teams are going to try to pick on Brandon Flowers, or really anyone that isn't Jason Verrett.

17. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i picked janoris because i liked him coming out of college, and he looks like he would fit our scheme, i think him and verrett would play together nicely. If we added, harrison, janoris,gipson, our draft would open up to worlds of other players we could take/ trade down for. the most important thing this season isnt signing the best player but signing quality starters who can help change this team back into a winning team.

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I've heard Janoris is kind of a **** head, I'm just not sure I'd ever want to pay a guy like that. He's a prime candidate to go full Derek Cox, and you know what I've said about going full Derek Cox.;)

We have a lot of bigger issues right now, mainly DE, S, C, and WR, but Telesco should make a serious run at a big CB like Trumaine Johnson. I'd go so far as to give offer him in the $7M/yr range, because even if Flowers somehow rebounds from his atrocious 2015 performance (including the torn ACL), we could use Johnson for matchup reasons.

19. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    If we landed these 3 players, especially Gipson on a 1 year show and prove deal, I'd be very happy. Of course, it depends who we re-sign as well. Telesco usually hits on players like Gipson, Williams and Allen. All 3 players are not at the top of their positional markets, but will come with great value and at a great price.

Ian Williams is more realistic than Damon Harrison, and I believe he will come at a reasonable price, unlike Harrison where teams will have a bidding war with.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'm always very very concerned with players who fit Williams' mold; they have nothing but injury trouble and in their walk year not only are they finally healthy but they have great years. I would sooner throw in for Harrison or take my chances in the draft with someone like Austin Johnson

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    They're both obtainable. Williams will be easier. But I put them both down, because I viewed Williams taking over for Reyes and Harrison in the middle.

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Wilkerson was franchised (and rightfully so, he's the better player - and cleaner off-the-field - between him and Sheldon Richardson), so that ain't happening.

24. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    it was a pipe dream, some beef on the dline would help tho

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    No doubt. I'm keeping a keen eye on Chris Canty. The guy's probably only got another year or two left in him, but him being brought in via free agency (he was released by Baltimore today), could be an indication that the front office is leaning towards giving themselves the option of taking Ramsey in the 1st and developing a Day 2 5-Tech behind Canty (similar to the route that was taken with Attaochu behind Dwight Freeney).

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    So you'd be thinking about Jalen in the first and maybe someone like Jon Bullard in the second or even Chris Jones in the third? Makes sense

In regards to Harrison I think the team does need at least one serious nose tackle even if they run hybrid formations a lot more. They still utilize 3-4s and for that you need a legitimate nose tackle. Harrison is the best in FA there by far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I just have trouble even believing they'll draft a 2-down run-stuffer until I see it. This FO and staff has just continually trotted out the undersized guys in Lissemore and Square, despite having invested a mid-Day-3 pick in Carrethers and him being available on the bench (or at least healthy). If Lissemore is cut or his contract runs out, then maybe I'll believe it, but they've just made me gunshy to believe them. For that reason, I really don't see them dropping any major coin on the position in FA either. Maybe they paw at Terrence Knighton, who the Skins have decided they're not going to try to bring back even though he was far from a liability last season. But if there's any kind of significant FA money spent on the DL, it's going to be on the 5-Tech position; I feel extremely confident saying that.

Also, Chris Jones isn't making it to the 3rd. You can take that to the bank.

• Useful Useful x 1