1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Darlington soccer

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by English, Feb 15, 2009.

1. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +78
    Darlington, County Durham, England. The home of one of the smallest professional soccer teams in the country.

But... it's my team and I follow them all over the country along with a number of other fans. Our average attendance at home matches is less than 3000 - a very strange sight in a stadium capable of holding 25,000.

http://www.dafts.co.uk

For those who may be interested, the link above is to a website dedicated to our band of merry men.

Yesterday's match at Lincoln was called off due to a frozen pitch and we were then committed to spending the day in a couple of pubs until our trains were due to leave.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    I ref for my boys soccer teams. I am beginning to appreciate the sport.

3. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Great Stuff English...I just checked them out online and it looks like you guys are pretty solid in the League 2 standings.

How does the Promotion work in League 2? Top 3 move up and the next 4 have a playoff? Your team is almost there.

3000 people was typical for all MLS teams here. But it seems to have picked up.

4. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +78
    Yeah that's right EsDee, top 3 get promoted automatically and the next 4 go into play-offs for one more promotion.

Darlington does not have a good record in play-offs though. We have been into them 3 times - once we didn't get into the final and the other 2 times we did. Unfortunately we were beaten at Wembley without scoring a goal in each of the 2 finals we played in.

This seeason we hope to get promoted automatically but clubs at our level can't afford to have many players in the squad so we struggle to win when there are many injures players.

We won 1-0 yesterday against Grimsby and because of sickness to our best forward we had a 16 year old called Curtis Main on the bench. It was a dream for him though as he scored our winner

5. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +78
    Today I hoped to come on here and let everybody (at least those who are interested) that Darlington won the match last night and moved closer to the top of League 2.

Unfortunately 2 things ruined that plan.

Firstly, the team was beaten 2 - 1 by Rochdale, we had our best midfield player ejected from the game and he will now miss the next 3 matches by being banned, and one of our best 2 forward players sustained a head injury and it is not yet known how long he will be injured.

But that was the least of our problems.

We woke this morning to the news that Darlington is now unable to pay its debts, and owes around £5m ($7.1). The club has been placed into financial administration and external financiers will now decide how best to manage the club and will decide whether there is a future as a soccer club or whether we are to close down and have all our assets sold off.

As a punishment we have had 10 points deducted from our total so even if we do manage to survive, there appears to be little chance of being promoted into the next higher division.

So, a bad news day today. Hopefully things will be better soon and we will find out that LT is to remain a Charger.

6. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Wow....that sux english. Hopefully things go alright and you guys can keep your season and club afloat. Recession hits the sports world.