1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Darrell Stuckey, its about Pass D for our safety apparently

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bergo23, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Well, it tells us what they were looking for, better "combo" skills that straight running game skills from a safety...Cam Chanellor can lay the wood but not cover like Stuckey.

2. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    what else sticks out from his scouting report, is CHARACTER. I like it AJ, we have two Choir boys at safety now, hard workers, its what we need!!! He will represent the Chargers well in the community. I lived in Lawrence for two years, and I heard alot about his community work.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Cam Chancellor doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same scentence as Stuckey.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    In his sophomore season in 2007, Stuckey started all 13 games at safety and was fourth on the team in tackles with 72.

As a junior in 2008, Stuckey ranked second on the team in tackles with 98, the most by a Jayhawk defensive back since Tony Stubbs in 2003. He also led the team with five interceptions.

In November 2009, he was named one of the twelve semifinalists for the 2009 Jim Thorpe Award.

Stuckey was an All-Big 12 First Team selection in 2008 and is considered one of the top safeties available in the 2010 NFL Draft.

2010 NFL Combine:

Height 5' 11"
    Wt 205 lb
    Arm length 31 in.
    Hand Size 9.75 in
    40 yard dash 4.49
    Vertical 39.5 in
    Bench 17 reps

5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    This was a really good pick. Stuckey is a MAJOR draft sleeper. Another good character guy who hit hard and knows how to tackle.

Also, all you Weddle fans better watch out. I'm getting the impression that our management isn't nearly as high on Eric as some of our fans. Stuckey is faster, stronger and has better ball skills than Weddle...and with some experience could end up taking his job.

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think Weddle is more of a rover, Stuckey will play in the box to cover TE's and attack the run plays at the LOS.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Until we get a better NT, our LB's won't be able to do their job, and our secondary will get exposed again.

The root of all our defensive problems is the line

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    This is NFL.com's analysis of him.

-Stuckey is a short well built player with good athleticism. He was the Jayhawks’s most productive defender in 2009 racking up 93 tackles from the safety position. Stuckey has good quickness, agility and balance but does have great pure speed. He is best in combination zone coverage’s and leverages the ball well from off the hash. He is quick to fill the alley versus the run. Good instincts but average ball skills with the ball in the air. Stuckey is a good overall football player that is likely to contribute as a backup in the secondary and on special teams.

So once again, we ignore the line to get a special teamer. Great idea

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Putting aside my complaints about completely ignoring the defensive line, my biggest issue with Stuckey is that he does nothing really well. He hits but isn't a solid tackler or a head hunter. He fills in well in run support but doesn't finish his tackles or hits. He's ok at coverage but isn't good at man to man and can't be matched up against a tight end without being abused.

I look at Reshard Jones, and it's not homerism about Georgia, but I see a guy who is better at coverage and at hitting then Stuckey whose issue is freelancing and who needs some seasoning.

Jones would've been a more talented and better selection then Stuckey who does alot of things decently but doesn't do anything particularly great

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    He's not a solid tackler? :icon_huh:

He had over 250 tackles in 3 years.

11. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Lots of opinions out there and that's one of them. Here's another:

“I’ve talked to a couple of different NFL teams the last couple of days, and there’s a lot of buzz going on about him,” Bowen, now the defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky, said by phone Thursday. “I don’t know where he’s going to go in the draft, but I do know there are several teams interested in him. Like they all say, he’s almost a sure thing as an NFL player.

Stuckey was not selected in Thursday’s first round, but he did not expect to be. Tonight, however, with each passing pick, things should begin to heat up at the Stuckey house.

Also, from NFL.com:

Pick Analysis: The Chargers add a ball hawk with the selection of Darrell Stuckey. The dynamic playmaker gives the team a versatile safety with the ability to play in or out of the box. He might emerge as the draft's biggest sleeper.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yeah, most 4th rounders don't even last 2 years in the NFL, so being a career backup, would be a success. Doesn't mean he is an impact player. And even if he is, we need linemen!!!!!!

13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Yup. Like I've always said... as goes Jamal so goes the Chargers defense.

Jamal's heir should have been drafted 2+ years ago. And if we wanted to jump from 28 to 12 we should have jumped for someone like Ngata... and back then we wouldn't have even had to make that big of a jump.

My fingers are crossed that our D line is slightly more seasoned and that our O can put up some big numbers against any defense in the league.

14. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    You got your lineman. If it would have ended up that we kep our second rounder and picked Cam Thomas at pick 40, you would have probably been rejoicing about it. There just weren't many good DT's in this draft....Even Dan Williams was overrated....Cam Thomas will probably end up being really good value for us.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I wouldn't have been happy with him at #40 because he wasn't worth it. But we could have gotten a better one at #40, and still got 2 RB's that combined would have been just fine.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Now you're just talking outta your ***.

Stuckey is a better cover guy but to say that he doesn't even belong in the same conversation is total BS.

Stuckey fits in better with what we already have at safety. If we didn't have Ellison, the Chancellor pick would have made sense.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Wait so who is Stuckey competing with? Ellison or Weddle?

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Since we don't make much distinction between free or strong safety in our defense, does it really matter?

I can see Stuckey knocking Ellison out of the mix quicker than Weddle.

What I'd REALLY like to see is Stuckey & Spillman come on like gangbusters this year & move Weddle into the slot that Gregory occupied last year.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't want to get in this with you so the only thing I'll say is that Stuckey is a much more complete player.

Our draft went almost exactly as I expected it too... AJ targeted the only feature back in the draft to complete the offense and take pressure off Rivers. He ignored the DE and CB positions just as I thought he would, and targeted defensive playmakers in the middle rounds. He also aquired a pro style QB with the compensation pick, and seems fine with our prospects at O-line.

Really the only thing I whiffed on was how long it took to aquire a NT prospect, just to toot my own horn again.:lol: But I swear its the last time.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I won't argue about it either. Kam Chancellor is a good player - better in run support than Stuckey, not as good in coverage. Stuckey fits better here, as I said.

I wouldn't defend Chancellor as much except I've watched him - A LOT - in person. Never said that he should be here, but he deserves to be in any safety conversation every bit as much as Stuckey.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    WE've had trouble with the middle of our defense for years now. So picking a good inside linebacker and saftey that both have good pass defense skills and are good tacklers kind of made sense. And then theres cAm thomas. He's got the skills. Just need to get him motivated more. Which I would imagine can be done.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'll say it's a bit premature at this point to figure who can or cannot play. Not only that but to say our season will suck is about lame also.

It will be nice to get the new season going and I'm glad the damn draft is over. Biggest waste of time there is, IMHO. Strap em on and do some hitting in live action and the whole story will unfold for all to see.

23. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    You people do know right that Weddle is a top 10 safety in the league?

He had no help with Hart, and once Ellison went in he did even better. This will be his 3rd full year where more improvement is expected. I know people don't like Weddle because he is white, still you think they would come up with some more evidence.

Tell you what give me 10 safeties currently starting that are better than Weddle and give statistical evidence why.

Stuckey is for Ellison, the FO, coaches, and pretty much everyone else said that it will be a fight between those two.

24. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    dude, quit raining on the parade. since we obviously couldnt get better at NT given that players like price, williams and such were taken and i would shoot someone if we took the risk on cody... lets upgrade everything else around it.

only time will tell, no need to biitch about speculation.

25. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    WORD!

Pointy :icon_twisted:

26. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58

27. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Well Butler and Stuckey are ball hawks but not exactly great in coverage, Stuckey in particular, so I see it as simple continuation of the basic Chargers pass defense. These guys will hit opposing players but only AFTER they have the ball. We know that is Charger defense to a tee and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I personally like the bend-but-don't-break approach. I'm just saying don't expect true "play makers," depending on how you define them, from this crop of defenders.

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It would be foolish to expect them to be Patrick Willis and Troy Polamalu 2.0, but Butler is without a doubt an upgrade over Cooper. And Stuckey has a legitimate chance to upgrade our SS position as he is a better overall athlete than Ellison, and has the mentality of a linebacker.

That said I'd love to see Kevin Ellison take the next step, I think he's a smart kid and you could see the difference in our defense immediatly when he stepped in for Hart.

29. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Ellison is more of your linebacker type...IMO...Stuckey has the mentality, but Ellison has the size and brute strength. Here is what Stuckey has that Ellison does not.

That play shows two things. A.) Stuckey does not give up on a play. B.) He's got some serious football speed.

I don't care what he was timed at (4.49 I think), but he's now our fastest safety on the field. Also a vocal leader and not a pu$$y like 765 was at sticking his nose in and making a tackle.

30. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Stuckey at Safety, and Jammer at corner, could they have better names?!

The more I read about the ILB and safety, the more excited I get about the development of this D.

Bellichik's interview with Mayock B-4 the draft talked about the importance of the middle of the field D, we upgraded there without a doubt.