1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

DARREN SPROLES MADE A LOT OF MONEY LAST NIGHT

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 4, 2009.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    DARREN SPROLES MADE A LOT OF MONEY LAST NIGHT
    Posted by Josh Alper on January 4, 2009, 9:49 a.m.

The 328 all-purpose yards that Chargers running back Darren Sproles produced last night won’t matter when the Chargers face the Titans or Steelers next weekend, but their value will linger for quite a while. Sproles is a free agent following the season, and a prime-time performance like that will stick in people’s minds.

The question is how much that performance matters when weighed against other factors. The NFL Network’s Adam Schefter got an email from a NFL executive after the game which made more of his size than his yards. “Be careful spending money on the guy. He is small, 200 pounds, and if he gets the $, can he hold up and deliver for 16 plus games? “

Some people called for LaDainian Tomlinson to be traded so that the Chargers wouldn’t lose Michael Turner last offseason, something that probably won’t happen for the 5′6″ Sproles. That said, their need to have a capable backup as Tomlinson advances in years. As Sproles’ stature grows, so does his price tag, which may make for another very difficult backfield decision in San Diego.
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    At the rate he's going, some team will offer him just ridiculous money to play for them. I still think he'll be a Charger and they'll pay him well, but the two exceptions are if someone offers him a starting job or just INSANE money

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I think and hope he pulls a Dielman, stays where he is loved for more money than we can dream of that sets him for life. Instead of goin somewhere for stupid money where he gets killed.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This is going to be a hard call here.

I initially thought no way do the Chargers use the franchise tag on Sproles because it would be too much money for a RB. Sproles franchise tender would be based as a RETURNER which is significantly lower than what the average of the Top 5 RB's make.

Here-in lies the problem.

Rivers. :yes:

If we can not come to terms with Rivers, then we need to exclusively franchise tag his *** before we use it (and we only get one franchise tag to use per year) on Sproles as a returner.

The best bet is to sign both players to long term contracts obviously but money talks. Sproles would be an idiot to not test the free agent market and the only thing holding him here when the jack calls, which it will, is the franchise tag.

Rivers' deal needs to get done. Fast.

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Rivers still has another year.

Not sure if the NFL fixed the poison pill thing but I'd transition tag him that way we have a chance to match. Franchise tag him only if you want to keep him for the short term or are looking to deal him.

So it really depends on what AJ wants to do with him, does he want him long term, short term, or does he want something in return for him.

Or hopefully we sign him before he even becomes a FA.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    His agent and AJ are already in talks - IIRC his agent asked for 14mil, AJ offered 6 or 8 -- this was obviously before the Colts game and I have no idea what the length of contract discussed was.

He wants to stay in San Diego, but he also wants to be paid reasonably [this i heard from a VERY reliable source who knows Mighty Mouse himself]. I hope it all works out so he stays a Bolt, I think it will but... until it's done I will worry.

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Opppsss... :lol:

Then no one else is worthy for the franchise tag other than Sproles. The Chargers will use the f-tag because returners do not make **** ... relatively of course. The transition tag poison pill is still there so that is no bueno.

All of this **** may be moot if the CBA is not re-negotiated soon. If we get to uncapped years (2010) then we will go back the the "haves" and the "have nots" and only the rich teams go to the dance.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Looking to next week -

I hope Norv sits Sproles during kickoffs and punts if the magical Elf starts in place of LT

:tup:

9. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    And who replaces him? :icon_huh:

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Cromartie :)

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

shiit, pick somebody. The mighty ELF was taken to the limit last night.

Maybe if they can get Bennett involved a little more.

I'm just afraid they are going to get my boy killed!!

:unsure:

12. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    There is no "returners" f-tag.

Sproles is a RB and would be tagged as one.

13. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155

I'd rather use a mix of Bennett, Sproles and Hester. Just don't really trust anyone to take returns, maybe Cromartie but the way he holds the ball leaves him open to fumbles.

14. Vinny ECB

Vinny ECB BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Agreed. What numbers can we even guessimate that would be good enough to keep him in SD? With his value thru the roof right now, AJ would have to up the ante if that 6-8mil number is correct.

My best guess: 4-5yrs/10mil w/ some kind of signing bonus.

15. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I have no doubt we will retain Sproles...and if we have to, we will tag him....We didn't hesitate to put the tag on Brees two years in a row and that gave us two huge salaries at the same position with 1 on the bench.....We also used the poison pill tag on Turner.

LT's big contract was front end loaded with a 21 mill balloon payment (of which he earned every penny unlike..ahem...Larry Johnson for instance)....basically making his yearly salary reasonable for a guy of his production. Also, we get a lot more out of Sprolesy than just a part time back (and his role would increase there a la Maurice Jones Drew)....It doesn't make good business sense to let a guy go outright who is a major impact player in different areas....is in his prime...knows this system well.

16. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362

Totally agree!

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Unfortunately, I see it that way too. A team like the Lions , Browns, or Bengals would probably be willing to offer him an insane amount and make him a feature back.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont think he will get insane money. I also see him staying right here.

I remind you all of the time when the Charger fans were all crying in their beers because Dielman was leaving... What happened then, I forget...

19. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Gates stayed as well, even though he was being underpayed when he signed. I loved watching Darren Sproles in his press conference. Just a sweet, humble kid...unaware of the true magnitude of what he had done for his team on this day. He just needed his chance to prove it. To me it was one of the gutsiest performances I have ever seen. The Colts keyed on him, beat him up on tackles, piled on, twisted him into knots, some of the dirtiest **** I have ever seen. They couldn't break his spirit and thanks to him the Bolts prevailed. He played twice his size and I felt honored to have watched him play in that game.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Damn ... they lump all those aholes together.

No way do we use the F-tag then. The dude is not worth it as bad as that sounds.

21. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Cason was a good Punt Returner at AZ. He has some game.

There is always Cro as an option, but I wouldn't risk it with his hip.

• Like Like x 1
  22. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    well said!

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This is why I don't agree with AJ's idea of waiting until the last possible moment to sign guys and then lowballing them.

Sproles deserves to get paid handsomely for what he accomplished Saturday night. This Chargers fan doesn't ever wanna see Sproles wearing another teams jersey.

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    True. No way do we wanna see Darren go.

But AJ hasn't always waited til the last minute. He moved on Coop, Wilhelm (Heaven help us), Olivea (ditto), Castillo (ditto again), Hart (oh Jeez not again) and the kickers early-ish.

Yes he might be a little late with Darren though I still think we can do a 'Dielman' with him.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Ok, let me rewrite it then...

This is why I don't agree with AJ's idea of waiting until the last possible moment to sign NON SCRUBS and then lowballing them.

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Pay the man. He's earned it.

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Nice one...........

:icon_rofl:

28. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    The only problem is that "The Magical Elf" would be INSANE to go to any of those teams! :lol:

29. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Back when players like Cooper and Wilhelm were extended, Sproles was just trying to keep his job as a kick returner. Not even Nostradamus could have predicted that he would become this valuable to our offense (Give credit to Norv for best utilizing him). That being said, I hope he does the right thing and stays here. He is a great situational back, but no way is he an every-down back. His frame can't take the pounding of 30+ touches a game 16 games a year.

30. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    best words as always, D.:yes: