1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

David Johnson - Return of the "H-back"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    One player who's signing went under the fan radar is David Johnson. Obviously, his time with the Steelers didn't give reason to take much note of his signing originally, but I've noticed that observers have taken notice of him now.

Dan Fouts: Fouts said he's excited by Chargers newcomer David Johnson, a tight end who played in 52 games, including a Super Bowl, with the Steelers. “He’s versatile, and brings attitude and toughness,” he said.

Now, why would Fouts be excited about a guy who was thought to be basically another blocking TE option? Listening to the BFTB video last night, I learned why Fouts was intrigued with Johnson. The Chargers haven't been using him just as a blocking TE. Yes, he does block, but he's been playing a true H-back position. They've been moving him all around the line of scrimmage, and he's been receiver as a TE and a back. He's been a blocker as a TE and as a fullback. He's also run with the ball on occasion. The biggest thing, is that even with 3 TE's on the field, the defense doesn't really know if the offense is running or passing. There is no tipoff for the defense based on the personnel grouping.

At fanfest, the Chargers ran the ball with Mathews in the 3 TE set...... clearing out one side of the D-line. They also ran a play where Gates took the normal TE route, Green ran a WR route, and Johnson ran the short RB route out of the backfield. Being able to disguise your play calling by having versatile personnel is a big deal..... at least it can be. It will be interesting to see how this develops under Frank Reich.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Unlike Gates & Green, Johnson is a mauler. Not taking anything from Gates or Green, Johnson just likes what he does and he's pretty good at it too. I was kind of hoping they would add an H-back, Danny had a couple decent ones if I'm not mistaken.

3. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    I like the dude's toughness and versatility. Opens up a lot of possibilities.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Kevin Acee after tonight's game......

We’d thought David Johnson -- listed as a tight end, most valuable playing fullback -- was an asset. While many people were recalling Darren Sproles as Oliver ran, others of us were more inclined to remember when a guy named Lorenzo Neal was opening holes for Chargers running backs. As good as Oliver was, he got the chance on his two longest runs because of Johnson’s blocks. (Wait until you see Johnson catch. You’ll be almost as impressed.)

• Like Like x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Johnson just might be the Bolts go to guy on tough third and fourth down situations. Heck, he could even be sent out early just to cause defensive units mismatches by his catching and running abilities.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    BFTB was talking about this guy as a big component of the offense and I can easily see why. He is what we really haven't had since the last days of Neal; a big steamrolling aggressive fullback that can be rotated at TE and FB to basically block the hell out of someone. He won't get a lot of snaps but at the same time he'll absolutely make the most of them