1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Davis trying NOT to be a bust

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RipTheJacker, Sep 26, 2008.

1. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Now healthy, wide receiver Davis is proving he's no bust
    Kevin Acee

Thursday, September 25, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Chargers' Buster Davis is brought down by Jets' Calvin Pace after a 12-yard gain.
    John R. McCutchen/Union-Tribune

Maybe Mike Tirico had been reading the Internet outrage, or maybe he's a closet Chargers fan, among the legions who have been waiting impatiently for Buster Davis to make a contribution worthy of his lofty position in the 2007 draft.

Because here is what Tirico, the play-by-play man on ESPN's “Monday Night Football” telecast, said after Davis made the first of his three first-quarter receptions:

“Buster Davis, who lived up to the first four letters of his name – kind of a bust in the first round, not much last year.”

Hard to argue much with the last part, as Davis caught just 20 passes for 188 yards in 2007. He didn't play in three games at midseason. And in this world of instant gratification, lack of production is tantamount to failure.

A quiet, unassuming kid – he won't turn 23 until next week – Davis has heard the talk.

“I use what those people say as motivation,” Davis said. “They don't know what I do, what it takes, going through practice day in and day out.”

Receiver is one of the toughest positions in the league to make the jump from college to the NFL. The transition is only more difficult when nagging injuries keep a player from practicing all the time. And when a player is drafted onto a team with the offensive weapons the Chargers have, the wait can seem interminable.

“Just staying focused, especially when you come out of college and you're the man and you come to a team like this,” Davis said of the most difficult part of his first year-plus in the NFL.

It's really not a surprise Davis took this long, which isn't really that long anyway.

Short-sighted folks ought to remember Vincent Jackson, a second-round pick, had three catches his rookie season. Cris Carter, second on the list of career receptions, caught five passes his rookie season. Keenan McCardell, ninth all-time, didn't make his 25th reception until his fourth season.

And Davis came into the league hurt. The trainer who got him strong enough to run a 4.37 in the 40-yard dash at the Combine predicted that summer Davis would struggle being healthy all of 2007.

He wasn't healthy – suffering through knee tendinitis, groin and hamstring strains – though he made seven of his catches in the final four regular-season games.

None of those receptions showed what he might add to the Chargers offense the way his early catches did Monday, when he caught Philip Rivers darts underneath and then pulled away from defenders as if powered by some nitrous oxide racing kit.

“He's a unique guy,” Rivers said. “He's got a unique ability to make plays.”

All three of Davis' hookups with Rivers converted third-and-longs. The first two (for 12 and 20 yards) helped prolong a drive that yielded a field goal. The last one got 11 yards on third-and-7 and set up a touchdown two plays later.

“He's got an ability,” Rivers said. “He's the kind of guy you're not throwing (a short pass) to just get the first down. That may get you 50. He's explosive when he gets the ball.”

Provided he can stay healthy, Davis appears poised to be the new Eric Parker, but with potential for serious yards after catches.

Just by what he did Monday, Davis has shown future opponents they can't just watch the deep threats in Chris Chambers and Jackson, or the ever-present danger of Antonio Gates.

Usually matched up against a third corner, Davis could well be the superior athlete in many situations he's put in.

“We have big receivers, and he complements those guys with his speed and quickness,” head coach Norv Turner said. “It was nice to have him healthy. It was nice to have him have the contribution he had. It got us a jumpstart in the game and I just hope he can continue to grow and stay healthy because he presents some matchup problems for teams when we go into that nickel package.”

Davis is clearly loath to talk about his injury history and his difficulty getting and staying on the field. But he does acknowledge he was not happy to be inactive in the season opener, ostensibly because of some lingering tendinitis.

Chambers said this week he saw Davis assert himself more in practice and in film sessions after that week, working to get on the field. He was active against the Broncos in Week 2, returning two punts but making no receptions. Rivers said by last week, the way practice was going, he had an inkling Davis would be a factor receiving against the Jets.

“It was disappointing,” Davis said of his being inactive against Carolina. “It was coach's decision. I had a little nagging injury. He didn't want me to go backwards. It played out well. I'm feeling really good right now, 100 percent healthy.”

If that's truly the case, perhaps he's ready to, with apologies to Tirico, bust out. That's the feeling among his offensive teammates. And it was the vibe he gave off as he quickly but emphatically celebrated each of his catches.

“I'm just happy to be on the field, and I'm going to make more plays,” Davis said. “That's all I was trying to stress. I'm just trying to give our team a boost.”

Not a bust.

Either way, i just hope last week was just a little preview of Davis' role in the offense

If he can keep it up, that would give us 3 solid WRs with starting potential, the league best TE, best RB, best 3rd down back, very good pass catching FB to mix and match on the field on any given play

And when you add that we have Norv calling the plays and Rivers throwing the ball, we could easily have the best offense in the NFL

• Like Like x 1
  2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    One more weapon.

3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Who was callng Davis a bust?

4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Mike Tirico. Do you have to be a complete twit to work at ESPN?

5. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106

Mike Tirico
    [​IMG]

6. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    That's just the minimum requirement. An additional 4 years of being grossly uninformed is prefered.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Buster might end up being that "ace in the hole" the dude that comes in and pulls the defense's pantie's down. TD Chargers Buster Davis put a move on and caught a beautiful ball for the winning score.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    They have a proctologist check them for hemorrhoids , too, ensuring that they are perfect little sphincters

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    "Provided he can stay healthy, Davis appears poised to be the new Eric Parker, but with potential for serious yards after catches."

All he needs to do is break one of those slants and peeps will shut the hell up.

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Buster looked GREAT last week. He showed a burst they we hadn't seen up until then.

If he can shed his reputation (which started in college) that he has trouble dealing with nagging injuries, Buster can add a big play dimension out of the 3rd WR spot that will make us unstoppable. :tup:

That said, he was healthy for one game. I am reserving judgement because it wouldn't surprise me if Davis strains or pulls something today.