1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Day 2 Wish List?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Apr 28, 2011.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Some good talent left. Not in any particular order, but I like a lot of these players.

Brooks Reed
    Akeem Ayers
    Jabaal Sheard
    Brandon Harris
    Ras I Dowling
    Aaron Williams
    Justin Houston
    Mason Foster
    Greg Little
    Leonard Hankerson
    Bruce Carter
    Randall Cobb
    Martez Wilson
    etc...

Anyone you guys want?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Martez Wilson
    Brooks Reed
    Torrey Smith/Greg Little (likely Jerrol Jerrigan)
    Ras I Dowling
    Mason Foster
    Maybe Casey Matthews
    if I can dream, Akeem Ayers perhaps late in the second?

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I actually wouldn't put Reed past us. A lot of the potential suitors - if the Pats don't take him and I have to think they're targeting Houston if they don't trade out of #33 - aren't there anymore that would prevent him from falling to us (and with us still having our full compliment of 2nd's and 3rd's, I wouldn't put it past AJ if Reed is his guy - and we have apparently had multiple instances of contact with him - to use one of the 3rds to vault up 3-6 picks to ensure getting him).

Bills are a definite threat after coveting Miller, but Reed isn't BPA and Nix has been pretty staunch about going that direction. I don't expect Bowers to make it past them if he's there (Buddy has gambled in injury cases in the past) or Houston/Ayers if the Pat's pass on him.

Cards are a possibility, but again... they've stated they're specifically going BPA. OL is also a pretty major need for them. They won't go QB - if they wanted one they'd have taken one in the 1st - they'll be pursuing Bulger in free agency and continuing to try and develop John Skelton.

If he lasts, the Titans' pick has Marvin Austin written all over it. They don't shy away from character guys - he fills the need that many were projecting Fairley would for them in the 1st.

Skins got their OLB. Niners got their OLB. Cowboys have to go secondary or DE - OLB is too much of a luxury pick for them.

Lions should be going DB or OL as well.

Broncos don't need DE's. Rams already got their DE.

It's not unthinkable that Reed falls to us; it's mostly contingent on Cleveland not overvaluing him, teams that normally/should go BPA doing so, and no one trading ahead of us.

Otherwise, ILB wouldn't shock me. Value's not fantastic - and I think Martez Wilson is gone before #50 (can't see him making it past the Lions as a BPA or not see the Giants trading up to get him) - also wouldn't shock me to see the Pats take him at #33 or trading up from 66 for him. AJ loves DB's so a guy with developmental #1 boundary corner potential wouldn't shock me - especially with guys like Harris, Curtis Brown, Aaron Williams (I like him more as an elite nickel or FS guy, but still...), Dowling, and Davon House available. That said, if the Raiders don't draft Kaepernick (with Al you can never rule it out), I'm calling DB to them - Al loves to draft them and I can't think they have much confidence in being able to resign Asomugha.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    A goddamn kicker.

5. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Maybe Casey Matthews with one of the 3rd rounders we got.

6. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    A nasty, quick, block-shedding, QB hating OLB, that has the stamina of a Benz diesel truck motor thanks very much.

Have no idea what his name is though and don't really care ....just get him.

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Titus Young
    jerrell Jernigan
    Tandon Doss
    Greg Salas
    Randall Cobb

Yes, i want a WR tomorrow!

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Agree Leonard Hankerson please!

Allen Bailey
    Brandon Harris
    Orlando Franklin
    Akeem Ayers
    Da'Quan Bowers
    Justin Houston

Most likely will get this years version of Vaughn Martin. Any Canadian Colleges represented this year?

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Jabaal Sheard may be your guy, but I expect him to be gone by 50.

10. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Martez Wilson
    Leonard hankerson
    Akeem ayers
    allen bailey
    bruce carter
    curtis brown

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If martez Wilson available grab him. My board has Orlando Franklin Torrey smith Brooks reed right now

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Torrey Smith is overrated, his story elevates him too much compared to his tape.

I'll take Foster, Sheard, Wilson, Hankerson, Dowling, or maybe even Rudolph if he falls. Id like to see us do some double TE stuff.

13. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i agree we need to go after d first. our offence is straight nasty, we need ILB'S and OLB'S since english sucks, and merriman is gone, and we dont have ILB's right now

Martez wilson please,

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't want us to take a tight end until very late in the draft, so not a need right now, not when you consider we have ONE ILB on the roster

My guess is:
    2a. Martez Wilson
    2b. Orlando Franklin
    3a. Jerell Jerrigan
    3b. Mason Foster

15. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    2. Martez Wilson
    2. Ras I Dowling
    3.Jerell Jerrigan
    3.Casey Mathews

16. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i pray we get martez wilsonthis kid could help alot

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I think he's a better fit a 4-3 OLB.....but AJ doesn't seen to care about stuff like that.

18. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i like him for many reason's in our 3-4, hes good in pass coverage, he can help blitz the a-gap with donald butler if needed, and he's a very physical LB, he could help giv us the moral our team use to have when we had healthy merriman

19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Don't know the names but...
    Round 2: a OLB and a WR
    Round 3: OT and CB/S

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    If he does, we're overpaying. But then Matthews is another guy that will likely "pull a Pouncey" and get overdrafted riding his brother's coattails. Casey's a 4th round prospect at best and doesn't fit the 3-4 particularly well at all - his best fit is in a Cover-2. And this is coming from an Oregon fan.

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I would point out that we only have one worthwhile TE (unless we're counting Sperry's potential) on the roster too, Loren - and Gates is almost guaranteed to miss at least a game or 2 per season from here on out in his career (plantar fascia injuries never fully heal, IIRC). But I'm more interested in the sudden disappearance of James Holt and Kion Wilson from our roster? Do they not play ILB as well as Butler? I realize neither is anyone we, as fans, feel terribly comfortable starting but we can't discount their presence (particularly if I have to accept Wilson as being any sort of useful TE).

That said, if there is no quality pass-rusher of value available at #50 and by some miracle Kyle Rudolph is - you take Kyle Rudolph and thank Black Jesus that you could get him. We've always utilized 2-TE sets and both Rudolph and Gates have the capability of splitting out and playing off-the-line which creates mismatch nightmares for opposing teams. I wouldn't advocate for any other TE in the 2nd and really not until the late 3rd (and only then as a BPA type pick if someone like Kendricks, DJ Williams, or Robert Housler survived to that point - elsewise I agree, sit tight until the 6th or 7th and hope that someone like VTech's Andre Smith, Sparty's Charlie Gannt, or Marshall's Lee Smith drop. Another one I'd watch and hope to fall - but I don't know that he will - is under-the-radar (at least to most fans) prospects Collin Franklin from Iowa State.

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    There are tight ends available in later rounds to help develop. I think that's something that can be gotten in free agency which looks closer and closer to a reality. If holt's the answer at ILB, what the heck is the question? He's at best a backup, I've seen nothing to suggest he's being remotely considered to start alongside Butler. Kion Wilson was a pass rushing OLB and is being transitioned to FB, don't ask me why. If someone wants a tight end that bad, I can imagine Buffalo or maybe even Denver wants one, trade out of that spot, get a fourth and a fifth and don't bother. I don't see the need even with Gates up in age to spend a high pick (yes second day pick constitutes a high pick for me) on a position where we have an all pro. Get a Right tackle, get a wide receiver, get a linebacker (don't care where) don't spend it on a position we have one of the best in the game.

23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Jaws just mentioned that we could take TE Kyle Rudolph. Nothing more that a guess on his part though.

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    well, we really need another good inside linebacker. I'm guessing wilson from illinois is pretty good. I think there is one or two more. And we need a good blocking tightend bad. But a tight end like that should be around in the 3rd round. And I"d love a pretty good olb. Which there may still be one or two around in round 2.

25. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    can kyle rudoph block well. More than a pass catching tightend we need a very good blocking tight end.

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Norv just hinted heavily on XX Radio that were looking at WRs and "defensive playmakers".

27. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I would look to shore up the TE position in free agency. May want to wait until next year to draft one.

28. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    So that means TE's and offensive line. :p

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Is it wrong that I'd seriously consider Bowers at 50 or even 61?

30. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I hope he's talking about linebackers. WE need at least one good linebacker out of this draft. Possibly two.