1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

De La Hoya vs. Mayweather

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by nickelbolt, May 4, 2007.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Anyone else ordering the fight? Anyone else interested? Who's your pick??

I'm going with De La Hoya for the simple fact that Floyd has been acting like a complete ******** for far too long. Viva la Hoya!!! :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    My son wants me to order the fight...but I said... NO..

I'd like to see De La Hoya win.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    But this is the fight of the year!!! Could be Oscar's last one ever. Have him invite some buddies over for this one. It'll feel like you got every bit of that $50+ you're gonna pay.

C'mon Carrie... pull the trigger. Be "MOM OF THE YEAR" today. :lol:

4. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I know, I'd love to see this fight two... decisions decisions.....I really don't like Mayweather............Big cocky jerk.... Hope Oscar gives him the ole KO...:lol:

If the buddies want to help with the cost, I'll consider it... ;) He should have saved some money for this... but NO.... he blew it and now wants Mom to help him out.... :icon_shrug:

I must sound like a meanie... but that's cause you guys don't know the whole story. ;)

5. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    It's Cinco De Mayo...... Oscar just has to win today.... :tup:

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    He'll win if he jumps all over Floyd from the 1st round. But if he even hesitates or tries to feel him out, Floyd is gonna sting him all night long and make him look really old.

Oh... don't forget. End of the month. Tell your son to save his money for Liddell vs. Jackson. It's the UFC fight at the end of the month.

7. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Oscar De La Hoya vs Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Gawd you are a disgrace. I order you to cancel your order and obtain the fight illegally instead :icon_evil:

8. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382

Here is the fight enjoy

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BPYDOam_qec"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BPYDOam_qec" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642

won't watch it but i bet de la hoya on points

10. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    maybe even fight of the decade, except for the gatti ward trilogy. i have a feeling that oscar will leave it all in the ring in this one. mayweather obviously has the perfect style to counter oscar but lately he hasnt been getting a lot of KOs, even though hes been moving up in weight. and hes never even been hurt, so I expect de la hoya to really surprise him and maybe even get a TKO who knows.

but my mind says-> Mayweather by unanimous decision

11. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    also winky wright vs bernard hopkins in july should be another classic

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: Doing his best Baldwin impression!!! First he imitated Daniel the Drunk... then transitioned nicely into Alec by telling his kid to F**k off. :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

13. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Hey, who is going to be kind enough to give us some of the fight updates? ;)

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'll try... but I might be too drunk... my new baby boy authorized me to celebrate cinco de mayo on his behalf. His mom has been kind enough to give me the night off!!! And they're the only two Mexicans in the house... so... The Hornitos shots and Modelo's are going down quite smooth right now. Pollo Asado about to be tossed on the grill.

The undercard just started. Booooooring.

I think your best bet for updates is gonna be ESPN.com. They always have pretty good round by round recaps.

Viva la Oscar!!!

15. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Have fun, nickel... Make sure the baby gets to watch a few rounds of the fight... Get pics... :icon_mrgreen:

16. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
  17. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Decisions usually go to the Champ, but I think that bum Mayweather prolly did have the edge... :icon_mad:

18. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I was rooting for Mayweather.

I'm not too fond of De La Hoya. Oh and I'm half-Mexican.

De La Hoya slowed down the last 3 rounds like he always does.

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yeah, Oscar lost it fair n square. But Mayweather's ego just took a nasty beating. He's such a little pud. There's nothing unique or exciting about him. Except for the fact that he's the son of Predator.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, you gotta figure that Mayweather was moving up in weight to fight De La Hoya. The smaller guy moving up always has the distinct disadvantage.

Mayweather weighed in at 148 lbs, but they rounded up to 150 lbs to make it look good. In the post-fight interview he said this and that he stayed at 148 at fight time.

De La Hoya weighed in at 154 lbs and added about 6 lbs or so like most fighters do in a 24 hour period.

So you essentially have a welterweight fighting a middleweight.

No way was Mayweather going to knock out, or even knock down, De La Hoya unless it was through a massive accumulation of punches by the later rounds at the same time De La Hoya began his trademark slowdown.

Regarding not rooting for De La Hoya, that stems from the manufactured "Golden Boy" image thrust upon us. I dislike fighters that are preprocessed virtually from birth and almost have greatness given to them. It started during his Olympic experience.

I'm more a fan of Mexican fighters that hail from Mexico itself and work hard in relative obscurity and work their way up on their own. Fighters like Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, and even Rocky Juarez (although he was born in Houston).

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    What Floyd accomplished was impressive. He just doesn't excite me. He has zero class. He promised he would demolish Oscar and he didn't even come close. I'll agree that he was at a disadvantage, but he still didn't leave a mark on Oscar's face. Oscar lost the fight, but Floyd still acted like a little punk afterward.

And despite what you might think of Oscar, you have to respect the guy for fighting everyone who's ever called him out. And while he may sometimes lack the snappiness near the late rounds, he still posesses that same warrior mentality of all those Mexican fighters you mentioned. After all, he did go out swinging at the end of the 12th.

I thought that was a solid fight. I just wish Oscar would have pressed the action even more in the those middle rounds.

22. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I will give De La Hoya respect for not shying away from any challenger. I absolutely hate fighters that duck challengers because they might be afraid they can't beat them. De La Hoya has never been that type of guy.

This fight finally happened because De La Hoya finally got fed up with all the games that promotors Bob Arum and Don King were playing, said "eff you guys", and promoted it himself. If it was left to Arum or King, they'd still be haggling over what logo should be in the center of the ring.

• Like Like x 1
  23. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    MANNY PACQUIAO is the champ!