1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

DE Michael Sam comes out of the closet

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Feb 9, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Whatever team drafts him is going to sell a butt-load of Sam jerseys.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Well, I'd have chimed in sooner…but wondering about the PFT reaction was killin' me.

Much better than I feared (the reactions to "Redskins name" stories can be quite: "Quit yer whining about the Trail of Tears you red savages!" on PFT)

The overwhelming majority over there are saying it isn't--or at least shouldn't be--an issue. :tup:

Obviously the 'Millenials' are a lot less hysterical, as a group, than, say, Baby Boomers, about homosexuality,
    but the Putins, Hannitys and Duck Dynasty crowd don't look to put on a different public face any time soon.

My take? There's 10 cheap jokes I'd love to make…but lest someone actually think I had anything against gays,
    or was massively insensitive (I can definitely be a bit insensitive…but not massively) I'll tastefully refrain…for once…

p.s. Props to dozens of U. of Missouri players sitting on the info for half a year, to let him reveal on his timetable

p.p.s. Just saw Putin overseeing Julia Lipnitskaia skating in Sochi…so that's what he looks like with a shirt on!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Small sample of anonymous players were asked there take on having a gay teammate in an NFL locker room -- most reactions were "if he can play, I'm fine with it".. interesting to see how this unfolds.

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Good for him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Peter King had comments from a bunch of player personnel guys who said NFL locker rooms wouldn't be ready for it and that it would be a "distraction." But Sam told his Mizzou teammates before the season, and all they did was have the best season in their program's history and vote Sam team MVP. I think there's a huge generational shift in attitudes on this. It will probably take a younger GM/coach to recognize how much of a non-issue this would be to players. Like Charles Barkley once said, athletes would rather have a gay teammate who can play than a straight one who can't.

If the kid can play, who cares?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    Only things I really cared regarding Sam on Saturday, Sunday and today is how good of a pass rusher he is and whether he'd fit in the 3-4. And I bet most NFL fans will care roughly about that too

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    That's the thing. At the Senior Bowl he looked like a poor man's Sam Montgomery. His tape flashes that explosiveness and high motor. Believe he's at 255, so if he can add 10 pounds, or even if he stays at his current weight, he should strictly be a DE prospect. I thought he could fit the 3-4 standing up, but he plays his best with his hand in the dirt.

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    He reminds me of Larry English. He's not quick off the snap, he has no real moves, he's an effort rusher.

Projection remains 3rd-4th round for for me, and late day 3 if you're running a base 3-4.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. two1

two1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    You all won't believe this, but on Walterfootball.com report they have us drafting in the second round none other than...........Michael Sam! Cause they felt he was that good and we could use him. That report was from last Wednesday. What do you all think now?

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    We have the frenzy of Te'o and I believe we handled it very well. San Diego wouldn't be a bad place for him, because we will manage it like the Te'o incident, but, I can't see Telesco going through this frenzy once again. It will take a great locker room for Michael Sam to feel comfortable in, don't know if we have that right now with a bunch of young guys. I also believe he doesn't fit what we want or do.

Pittsburgh or Baltimore would be a good place for him, don't know how their players would react though. But, Pitt is a family like organization.

12. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    We didn't experience much of a media frenzy with Te'o. I realize the media was more intense with him that anything we're used to, but in places like New York they just call what we saw a normal Tuesday.

13. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I think now what I thought before-- terrible. He's not a very good football player. And Walterfootball wouldn't know that because they don't know anything about assessing prospects.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I believe it was a frenzy. Many media outlets wanted to speak with him. We limited him to scheduled media appearances. And in training camp other players and coaches were asked about him because he wasn't made available until sometime after that.

Now, it will be clearly different in comparing Te'o's and Sam's situations. Sam is going to start a revolution among gays being accepted in NFL locker rooms.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    He's not a 'terrible' player. He's average. He has great explosiveness and motor, and his work ethic is something else. He's a hard worker and leader. The questions which concern most teams strictly talent basis is whether he has an counter moves and if he can defend against the run in the NFL. He'll have to work on those things at the next level.

16. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +654
    If he should fall to later rounds (4th or lower), he is someone who we can use. Even if he's a Larry English clone, so what? English is often injured and was a terrible reach as a first rounder. I like a player with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove and we do need help at the OLB position. As someone had stated earlier, the Chargers as a team with a young GM, as young president-in-waiting (John Spanos) and a young HC in the city of San Diego, would be a good fit for this kid.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I do not disagree with that, but he doesn't fit the 3-4. He's never played standing up. He's never been asked to drop in coverage. He's a purse DE prospect, great motor and effort, struggles with counter moves.

I think we take a pure OLB in the 2nd or 3rd, unless someone drops to us at 25, which, I know it sounds crazy, but Khalil Mack's stock hasn't been too hot. Evaluators are really taking into account that he was a Buffalo (FCS) product and usually those types of players coming out of college struggle to adapt.

I personally like Marcus Smith (Louisville) and Demarcus Lawrence (Boise) as OLBs for us in the 2nd to 3rd rounds.

1. Odell Beckham Jr
    2. Marcus Smith/Bradley Roby
    3. Terrance Mitchell/Demarcus Lawrence

I'll soil myself if any of those combos happen.

18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Who cares if he's gay? If you go to a gym, chances are that a gay guy has seen you naked. So?

I just don't get the interest. Are we reporting on which NFL players are in interracial relationships? Non-issue.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Pretty much. In fact, statistics support the fact that he won't even be the only gay member of an NFL locker room. Lowballing the figure, 15-20% of the population is homosexual (I'm pretty sure it's actually notably higher than that). That means that statistics would suggest it's conceivable that 8 out of the 54 players on an active roster could be reasonably expected to be gay - or 259 of the active roster players in the league. Now that's likely not the case, however, given those statistics it wouldn't be unreasonable in the slightest to figure that there are at least 10-20 gay players in the league already.

20. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I didn't call him a terrible player. I called WF mocking him to us in the 2nd round terrible. But I wouldn't call him explosive.

21. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Even at that, it still wasn't as intense as what teams in major markets deal with all that time.

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Of course not, our media compared to the New Yorks, Los Angeles', etc. don't compare. But it was a little hectic when handful of media outlets are just there to talk to Manti and no one else.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I apologize, but at best he was a 3rd rounder. No way he is drafted in the top 50.

I think he's explosive off the snap. Straight line speed is an obvious question, and his Senior Bowl was terrible, I do not know if this story that was leaking out to scouts and other teams' general managers had an effect on his play, but he's going to be playing with a lot of pressure in the NFL.

He fits a 4-3. No doubt about it. He was asked to play in 3-4 at the Senior Bowl and was quite terrible.

24. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I don't disagree, but that little bit of chaos wasn't detrimental to the team and wasn't more than what's average in most markets. I guess my point is that if I really liked Sam as a player, I'd take him and let the chips fall where they may as far as the media is concerned.

25. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    No apology. Just clarifying.

If he is explosive, it doesn't really show up in his first step on tape from where I'm sitting. My main issue, regardless of scheme, is how stiff he is. He'll routinely get walked around the pocket because he can't bend enough to get the body angle needed to run that short arc. That will be an issue in any defense and it's what turns me off. Look at what happened to him down the stretch in 2013: First 6 (real) games, 10 sacks; Last 6 games, 1.5 sacks. He got found out. Tackles started compensating with a wide kick step, and he had no answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    The agent for Michael Sam says his client would be a good fit for the Chargers, just read that on ESPN.

27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,670
    One of their writers have us drafting him today in the fourth round, and that's perfectly reasonably especially because so many pass rushers went so early

28. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Walter Football still has us taking him, but now it's in the 4th round. Crazy how Walt sees his stock dropping 2 full rounds after the news.

29. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    How long are his arms?

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    33 1/4 inches.. Good arm length, but once again he doesn't fit the scheme.

Guys like Marcus Smith and Demarcus Lawrence fit our scheme better than Sam would to me.