1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

DE Michael Sam comes out of the closet

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Feb 9, 2014.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Well, yes, but I have had both of those two rated above Sam regardless. Sam's ideal fit is as a LEO in a 4-3 Under. One thing to make sure people don't get too wrapped up in is over-valuing "ability to drop into coverage" for a player whose principle role in a defense will be rushing the passer. Most 3-4 teams' weak-side pass-rusher drops into coverage all of 3-5 snaps out of a game - you only do it enough to sell opposing offenses on the notion that he's not coming every play. So for 3-4 OLB's that are being looked as at weakside options, they should have the physical ability to drop into coverage (i.e. not really stiff hips), it doesn't need to be a strength.

Now the issue with Sam is less stiff hips and more what Jesse was referring to earlier, lack of flexibility and ability to run the arc. He's a guy that as a pass-rusher in the league is likely to make his money off of his inside and counter moves, because he's not going to win a ton around the edge.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    If we're waiting until the 4th round to take a pass-rusher without getting absolutely PHENOMENAL value in the first 3 rounds (or having taken another pass-rusher earlier), I'd say we'd be reasonably in a lot of trouble.

Too many writers are too lazy to do their due diligence on front offices - and are just content to sell the "here's what I'd do" approach. Telesco has come out and admitted as much that pass-rusher is a big need. He's also admitted in the past that his approach to the draft is "best player available at a position of need." So unless we're getting phenomenal value at other areas of need, projecting TT to forego taking a pass-rusher until the 4th round is... a fairly uninformed opinion.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    And once again we're right in that damn no mans land as far as our 1st round pick and our top need. We pick to late to land Barr, Mack, or Ealy...to early to take Ford, Murphy, Van Noy or Jeffcoat.

Ford seems the most palatable if we can't trade back, but I'm not blown away by him.

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Shaquil Barrett is pure value after the 3rd round.. I'd be surprised if he made it past the 3rd round.

5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    We said that last year... and Telesco made a "reach" (or so it was viewed at the time) for the "next-best" in Fluker and pretty much hit a home run. I'd sooner slightly reach, especially in the late 1st, and get out ahead of a second run on a position than I would end up missing that 2nd run entirely. Also, I've got the feeling that Murphy, Attaochu, and Lawrence will make better cases for themselves at the combine.

I'm not horribly worried. Hell, I still wouldn't be shocked to see another OT in the 1st round. Morgan Moses has Joe D'Alessandris written all over him and if Lewan's absolute crap character (he threatened a freshmen girl his roommate allegedly raped by telling her that if she didn't shut up he'd "rape her again") drops Lewan out of the 1st, Moses will be right there to rise into the bottom of the round. Dude could deputize a year at guard and shift to LT in 2015 (or whenever Dunlap suffers his next concussion).

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Maybe, maybe not. He's not going to have sexy numbers at the combine. They'll be solid, good numbers but nothing to blow people out of the water. And the thing about NFL GM's that so few tend to take into account when projecting the draft is that "you have to account for stupid." He's value in the 3rd yes, but that's where his value kicks in. I'm fairly convinced he'll actually get drafted on Day 3 (probably in the 4th or 5th).

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I'm a huge Morgan Moses fan, but feel like the 1 year at OG then kick out to LT thing rarely ever works as planned. That said I don't like the idea of moving Fluker (yet) inside or giving up on Dunlap yet, who I think has a 3-4 year deal coming his way IF he can stay healthy this year.

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  10. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I wouldn't wipe my *** with the paper that WalterFootball prints his **** on.

11. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    On the other hand, free agency hasn't even started yet, so I don't know how informed any of us can be when it comes to mock drafts. If we keep Freeney and add a pass rusher through free agency suddenly that need isn't quite as strong. I certainly expect that we'll end up taking a pass rusher fairly early in the draft but I wouldn't be happy if the front office paints themselves into that corner, especially given the success of Allen last year. That said, your point about Fluker is a good one and Telesco deserves the benefit of the doubt either way.

12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Perhaps you misread the inquiry… :eek:

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Ha-ha! Not a factor here, good man…not a factor. Welcome. :)
    Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 4.47.52 PM.png

14. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I read it fine & stand by my take of that ******* Walter Chrepinsky.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I'm coming to think that WR is one of our top 5 needs too. If you think about it...it's just Allen and Floyd for the few weeks before he hits IR. Royal seems unlikely to return due to his cap hit, and Brown was a huge disappointment last year.

Despite this draft being balls deep in WRs we can't count on another rookie pulling an Allen. So the only conclusion might be to break out the checkbook and pay someone like Nicks, Decker, Maclin or Jones.

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Have it your way, but that's the last time we share reading materials, Riff.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Or to go bargain hunting for guys that fit the system/scheme McCoy and Reich want to run and just don't fit the "big name" hype that typically calls for big money - which is basically the same thing we did with Woodhead this past off-season and that turned out pretty damn good.

An Andre Caldwell, Joseph Morgan (though I'm hesitant about former Saints after the way the last one turned out), Andre Roberts, or Damian Williams could still go a long way and isn't going to cost near what Nicks, Maclin (unless he's on a 1-year "show-me" deal), or Decker are going to command.

18. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Roberts and Williams are the two I've had my eye on.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I wouldn't mind Caldwell either. He actually looked solid in the limited action he saw with Denver last season - just was caught in a massive logjam being low on priority of targets behind the Thomas', Decker, and Welker. He fits the desire for "speed" of Telesco (ran a 4.36s 40 at the combine, and clocked with a 10.75s 100-yard dash in college). Yes, he's brother to Bug-Eyes Reche, but everyone has to have some fault.

He's obviously lower on priority for me than Williams (who is probably my top choice, really underrated run-blocker as well, can play inside-out) or Roberts, but as a guy who would likely sign on for a 2-year vet minimum deal, he's not a bad asset to have.

20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    WR is certainly a need, at least for me. Royal will be cut, I think we should work out an extension to split that $6M cap hit into 2 $3M years, I think even Royal knows he's making way too much money since being in SD and he fits our system well so why try and go elsewhere for less.

I'm big on Doug Baldwin, Andre Caldwell, Riley Cooper, Ted Ginn, Andrew Hawkins and Jacoby Jones for our scheme.

21. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Doug Baldwin's a likely candidate to be overpaid after the Super Bowl.

22. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Andre would be alright but he's going to be 29 at the beginning of the season. I see the same things you do in Williams.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I think guys like Golden Tate and Eric Decker are. Especially Decker, his #'s are skewed with that offense the last 2 years. But, Baldwin I think will get something in the region of 4 years/$16-20M or maybe 5 years/$30M.

He's good, real good. Wins at the LOS due to his quickness and speed, but also can get up and snatch the ball as we saw this post-season.

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Remember, both Baldwin and Hawkins are RFAs, the chances we make a play for either is somewhere between no way in hell and absolute zero if their teams tender anything higher than a draft position tag (UDFA). Either would be nice, but so unlikely.

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Decker is likely to get overpaid thanks to PM inflating his stats.
    Nicks has big upside and could start immediately, but is a risky character to pay.
    Sanders is probably safe but IMO not a huge upgrade over Royal.
    Britt...is a life F up.
    Roberts, Caldwell and Williams are nice complimentary 3rd WRs but not guys I want to rely on play after play to get open.

If I were to peg one that won't get overpaid, that is a solid character, and I trust to be a solid #2 right out of the gate with the smallest chance of ******** out on us...it's probably Jeremy Maclin for me (pending his ACL recovery). If the knee is good to go it's not close.

26. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I'm crushed. Too bad Walter hasnt been.

27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Oh, and Royal will restructure to stay.

28. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I agree on everything except that Baldwin is worth ~5M/season. I don't think his value to an offense will warrant it. Especially when there are similar options out there who can likely come close, or even match what he'll give you.

29. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    The continuity would be good, but I do get tired of the constant nagging injuries.

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Yeah but depends on what SEA does at WR. Kearse is coming along, and Tate will have to be re-signed. Still have Harvin, and they'll most likely draft another and take a flier on Bryan Watlers this season. So I don't think they'll put a big tender on Baldwin. But, even Walters, I think could excel in this offense.

Hawkins won't be a heavy tender either, if he gets it at all. Hawkins and Baldwin are so ideal for this offense.