1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Horse!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by VenomSyndrome, Oct 13, 2014.

1. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I know you all feel the same way about the media and how the cover the Chargers, but it just so irritating. I really wish the cowboys lost to Seattle; because, all the talking jabronies have them winning the Super Bowl now. And with Brady's turn around he is now the MVP with Manning as his understudy.

On a more positive note I do feel the Chargers have turned the corner with the win in Oakland. In past years the would have folded under the pressure.

Just had to get it off my chest

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    I think we've been getting a lot of good coverage as of late, actually

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Today was the first time in a long time I heard the guys on ESPN radio talking about us on my drive home from work. They did immediately go back to the Cowboys after 3-4 minutes, but this is progress.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I hate ESPN for that stuff. They had the Chargers on PTI and Mike Weilbon took 30 seconds to say how Rivers isn't in his top 5 for MVP voting and how this is the some ole. He then went on to give the Mannings, Brady, Brees, and ARod salutes and bows all over the place. lol no love espn.

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    It's NY, Cowboys , Patriots , mannings. Those are the daily updates you can guarantee on ESPN. First take is just the daily Dallas report. Show is unwathchable.

Fuk em.

Just keep winning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I couldn't care less about lack of love we get. It's on us to work hard and beat what is put in front of us. When we lift that trophy at year end, we can say FU to any naysayers that remain, and any recent bandwagon members (those who've been showing us no love but start to court us in Dec/Jan).

8. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    I listen to a lot of podcasts here in Australia, and we have ESPN on cable as well. ESPN coverage is almost entirely all about the NFC East, NY Jets and Patriots regardless of whether those teams are successful or not. If they're not, then the shows are mostly about why are they NOT successful. Its quite ridiculous. C'mon Man!!

After Week 4 some shows were naming their top 5 QBs so far. Most shows didnt even mention Rivers. I kid you not. Daniel Jeremiah (Move the sticks) had Matt Ryan as number one!! Dave Dameshek of course had Big Ben. That part of the PTI episode from yesterday was preceded with Kornheisers question to Wilbon of..."Rivers for MVP!?!?" The media act like he's an average QB, yet when you take his journey in to context, I'd argue that he is the best from his QB draft class. He just doesn't have the rings, has had to put up with Norv and AJ for most of his years (what a waste!), and unlike the other two precious ones has never had a defence to bail him out and make his job easier.

Watched the Rich Eisen show yesterday. As soon as it came to talking about the Chargers Rich and Warren Sapp go banging on about their fantasy football teams instead during the segment.[insert rolled eyes emoticon here]

SD has just started to get some snippets in the national media. Over the last two weeks I've heard/seen Mike McCoy(Coaches Show), Tom Telesco (Move the Sticks), Antonio Gates (Fantasy Football podcast) and Eric Weddle (twice - DDFP and MMQB) on podcasts. Prior to this I can only recall a Philip Rivers interview once on the Rich Eisen podcast about 2+ years ago.

This is the reason why I went in search of trying to find more info on the Chargers on the internet a couple of years ago, and am so thankful for finding the bolttalk podcast.

Theres one guy who has consistently been singing PRs praises this year - Brian Billick...as proved here...
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-podca...aches-Show-Best-QB-for-the-rest-of-the-season

He was the the only guy who had PR as the number 1 QB for the first 4 weeks, let alone dared to mention him.

Another guy who keeps dropping PRs name in to podcasts when he's asked his opinion on QB's is Greg Cossell. Twice I've heard hosts such as Ross Tucker and Colin Cowherd ask him about "how wonderful is Russell Wilson. He can do things that no other QB can do." He has replied back both times saying "Yes...and there are things that only Philip Rivers can do". The hosts were left a bit gob-smacked, totally not expecting that reply. How can PR even be mentioned in the same breath as Russell Wilson? Cossell has even had the balls to state that Rivers has consistently outperformed Eli over the course of their careers.

The best two podcasts to listen to because they're even handed IMO is anything that has Cossell on (Thundering Herd) on Thursdays, and he's on Ross Tuckers podcast twice a week I think. The second is the "Around the League" podcasts where they cover each team evenly, with a bit of humour involved. Plus they've officially named the Chargers as THEIR ATL team to follow for the season.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Thought I heard a quick reference to PR last night on MNF, but I mostly want this thread to turn into a discussion about the Jets QB situation. :rolleyes:

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    I'm more on the internet than listening to radio or ESPN. Pete Prisco wrote an article the other day calling us legit Super Bowl contenders.

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    I sure wouldn't have thought so, at the beginning of the season...but now the
    Seahawks, Chiefs, Broncos, Patriots and 49ers look like easier opponents than I was thinking 6 weeks ago...

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 9.06.26 AM.png

p.s. Wherz yer "Likes" Leo...?

12. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Look, they are in it for viewers and there are more people interested in those other teams and there is a lot more people on the east coast. yeah east coast bias is ratings driven, get over it.
    if I wasn't a charger fan I would yawn at our record, what just because we beat Seattle? the rest of the wins are against dogs. I'm happy, but leery, we are the chargers.
    Let see how the next two games go before we start shopping for crowns.
    I don't see any hardware in the case or rings on fingers (I hope to before I die however).
    Onto KC.
    Go Chargers.

13. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Why are you constantly arguing against the Chargers being a Contender? Because of the Schedule? How would the Seahawks, 49ers, or Broncos have done against the schedule 6-0/5-1? It's not like previous Super Bowl winning teams hadn't gotten a easy schedule and STILL went on to win the big game. I think this season has been difficult for the haters to arguing against the Chargers mainly because they are finally beating the bad teams like they are suppose to. Now it's pointing to the Schedule as reasons why were a supposedly a average team?

14. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Credit where credit is due!
    Trent Dilfer on MNF recap basically chastised the media for not talking about Philip Rivers and the Chargers.

Go Trent

He also features Rivers on his 2 min segment call Dilfers Dimes

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Johnny, I'm not sure if you misunderstood my post, or just have a bee in your bonnet.

Before the season began, I predicted the Chargers would go about 9-7, because of big questions about the D,
    and concerns about how hard the second half of the schedule looked.

Leo brought up the "Super Bowl contenders" angle, so I added that it now seemed plausible to me
    (while not pretending my original prediction didn't happen, as some do) in part because some of the teams
    that looked very strong 6 weeks ago, have shown that they're more vulnerable than they looked before.

If you've got a problem with that assessment, I can't help you.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'd love to take stats for Rivers, Manning, Brady, Romo, Ben, Brees, etc... remove the names, make it anonymous - then see how pundits rank them.

That said, I don't really give a **** about national media.

It's nice when we get deserved recognition and all but glamour teams will always get more attention. Fine by me. Their takes are usually weak anyway - geared towards ratings, shock value and riling viewers/listeners up vs on actual factual insight. Those who do give legit insight aren't avoiding giving PR his due - he really is on a roll right now and it's damn fun to watch :)

17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    thats because he is NOT playing on the Packers, Patriots, Eagles, Seahawks or Cowboys.

18. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    So basically the teams we've faced have gotten weaker right? Or could it be IDK that we've gotten to point we're were stronger than those teams? Strange I know but stranger things have happen.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    I'm still confused by your criticism.
    While it is true that the Seahawks don't look as mighty as everyone thought (after crushing the Broncos & the Packers)
    my initial post--and the follow up--was clearly mostly about the second half of the schedule...

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413