1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Deal or no deal? OLB Marques Harris

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    By Michael Lombardo
    SDBoltReport.com

The Chargers snagged Marques Harris from the ranks of the undrafted in 2005. In the three seasons since, he’s tallied 49 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Is that enough to earn the restricted free agent a tender for 2008? SDBoltReport.com takes a closer look.

Marques Harris is a perfect fit in San Diego’s 3-4 defense. He has the speed to get after the quarterback and the leverage to hold up against the run. He also boasts the athleticism to make plays in space.

"He's got some of the best athleticism I've ever seen," says Wes Meier, who coached Harris at Southern Utah State. "He's got great strength and great speed."

Harris quickly became a fan favorite in San Diego. His first career sack was a takedown of Eli Manning in a primetime game at Qualcomm Stadium. Harris continued to win over fans with his patented sack celebration, a standing back-flip.

Whether Norv Turner likes Harris as much as the fans do remains to be seen. After Harris injured his hand late last season, Jyles Tucker stepped into his place and dominated, tallying three sacks in Week 16. When Harris came back healthy, Turner chose to keep Tucker in the rotation.

Because the Chargers are stacked at inside linebacker, with five players locked up under long-term contracts, there is only room for four outside ‘backers on the roster. That leaves two spots open behind Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips, and special teams ace and clubhouse leader Carlos Polk will claim one of them.

That means Harris will have to take back his spot from Tucker or start looking for employment elsewhere. It’s a startling thought, seeing as Harris looked like a long-term keeper just two years ago.

Harris was one of two undrafted free agents to make the team in 2005 -- Derreck Robinson being the other -- and it seemed like both would play their way into prominent roles on the defense. Instead, Robinson was a surprise cut during last year’s camp and Harris appears on his way to a similar fate.

“We (used to) laugh about it,” said Robinson, referring to how he and Harris rose from obscurity to play prominent roles in 2006.

Now, the laughing has come to an abrupt end. The Chargers will likely give Harris the minimum tender, which is worth $927,000. If another team signs Harris to an offer sheet, San Diego can either match the offer or lose Harris without compensation. However, the tender does not mean Harris is in the team’s plans for 2008.

The Chargers are leaning towards keeping Harris so that he can provide depth in case of another Polk injury. But barring such an injury, Harris is a long-shot to see the active roster next season.

2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I'm not so sure Polk is a guarantee to make the roster like the article claims. ST didn't have any problems after Polk got hurt. :icon_shrug:

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Polk isn't that old, but his body has high mileage and he is injury prone. Harris is a much better long term bet. Siler, Tucker and Harris all are as capable on special teams as Polk is. There might be teams out there who would part with a sixth round or maybe even a conditional fifth round pick for Polk. Harris is the keeper of the two, since Tucker has such obvious upside. The more I think about it, this is a draft to concentrate on FAT BOYS and a DB or two. Right now, I see no other pressing needs and even the two I mentioned aren't critical, but needed for depth.

4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    All of you keep counting out Polk and he keep's coming back? Enough said.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Same story, once upon a time, as Gary Plummer, who got a ring in San Francisco after we finally got rid of him, but Plummer was not on a team with this much talent and depth. It'll all play out in camp. If Polk gets gimped at all, I suspect he'll get an injury settlement when he gets cut, or wind up on IR if the team really wants him around. Linebacker Roster spots are going to be the most competitive of the camp. Then comes Wide Receiver.

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I'm not counting him out but he isn't the lock the article makes him sound like he is, other than Merriman and Phillips none of the OLBs are a lock to make the team. Line them up 3 deep and let them compete.

7. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm not a big fan of either Harris or Polk. I think Polk is the better player, but his injury risk sucks if we're only carrying 4 OLBs. I'd say let Harris walk and keep Polk, but look hard in the later rounds of the draft or at undrafted guys for another Jyles Tucker to stash on the practice squad for when Polk gets hurt.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Carlos Polk sucks.
    I'm not on the Harris bandwagon exactly, but every time Polk comes in you can see our defense change for the worse. At least you dont see that with Harris.

9. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    HArris was at least part of the pass rush rotation in NE.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I don't know but yeah basically line em up and see what happens

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Its like in our industry.....the Boss likes him so he stays. Even if he doesnt really deserve it.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Steel cage match.