1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dean Spanos Q&A......An honest, but naive man

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jan 7, 2011.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    From the President's Desk

Some of his answers are frustrating to read, he's almost deliberatly naive when it comes to Norv Turner. He seems to be under the impression that 9-7 is considered "winning football" despite missing the playoffs entirely. I MEAN OF COURSE HE'S THE WINNINGEST COACH IN CHARGER HISTORY! He inherited a 14-2 team with 11 Pro Bowlers. Had he picked up a 7-9 team, we'd probably be in the 4-12 range right now.

2. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Great post. U my friend are wise in your understanding.

"He inherited a 14-2 team with 11 Pro Bowlers." <--Well said!

What trips me out the most is it seems like Norv got a team with their best players every time he got the job.

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152

Ah yes, and DEAN is the one thats Naive:rolleyes:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    blah blah blah thanks for giving us your money. we'll keep taking it because we know we can sell you a .500 team. why would we do more?

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Warning: Post above may contain Norv Homerism. The slight look may make you into a foolish Norv homer. You have been warned.

6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Says the guy whose living in the past. Get over it, the Marty days are gone, and will never come back, Norv is going to be here for a long time, so either get on board, or have fun giving yourself a heart attack from the complaining and crying you seem to plan on doing the next 4 years

7. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    He mentions free agency in many of the replies. It will be interesting to see if that is just talk or if the team will actually be active in free agency this year.

8. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Oh you're right about the Marty days being done and gone. It's just that the next "4 years" will be incredible for you right? I mean with Norv 9-7 and no playoffs must be far greater then winning a stinking super bowl. Ah oh well I'll just keep on hoping we replace this loser for a decent head coach.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah the only question you have to ask is...how have we gotten better since firing Marty? Other than Rivers development (which I suppose could have happened with Cam Cameron anyway), 'm not sure we've improved anywhere.

Maybe its not fair to judge every season against a 14-2 one where LT when *** crazy. But our running game is inefficient, our passing game comes and go's in bunches, the "you can't run" chant is all but dead, very few of our younger players have actually improved we're still riding on veterans, and we have a knack for playing down to the level of our opponents which is in my opinion a classic example of poor leadership at the top.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    After 40 plus years of talk, I'm tired of it. Don't tell me what you're going to do, Show me what you can do!

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Don't hold your breath. Unless they go deep in the playoffs next year, there is a good chance Norv is gone

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    blah blah blah blah blah

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Since the Marty topic got brought up, did anyone hear Mike Goff on the radio the other day? He was asked if Marty's message got old, and he said yes. He said that after a few years, the pre-game speaches got old and several players would just roll their eyes and not take it to heart

14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Paul Teeter; San Diego

Since Norv Turner was hired as head coach, your team has played in 3, then 2, then 1, and now 0 playoff games. Despite the rhetoric about confidence in the head coach and the GM (AJ Smith), this downward trend cannot be ignored. Your GM prefers not to utilize free agency, insisting on building through the annual draft. Yet, the quality of his recent draft classes seems to have diminished just as the season results have degraded. Having said all this, my question is - are you committed to bringing an NFL championship to San Diego? If so, what steps do you plan to take to fix the apparent direction of the organization?

Paul,

I touched on the downward trend near the top and I think I’ve expressed my feelings about AJ and Norv pretty well. But I’m glad you mentioned the quality of our drafts.

I think you’re right. We need to get more production from our draft choices. Some are contributing and some are not contributing as much as we’d like. Unfortunately, it’s not a perfect science. It’s a people business and people aren’t perfect. We just need to be better and be right more times than wrong. I think overall we have been. And remember, the better your team and roster is, the later (in each round) you are drafting and the tougher it is for draft choices to unseat current players and make your roster.

This is a critical year for us. We have five picks in the first three rounds and it is critical we make right decisions for our team. We also will take a hard look at free agency.

Like I said before, I believe if we stay the course, have good drafts and make good decisions in free agency, we’ll bounce back stronger than ever next season.

Now when will Dean start blaming John SPANOS for their crappy drafting? It is Johns job to scout the picks and bring them to AJ's attention.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    This is what I worry about when people talk about John Gruden coming here.

Right out of the gate it could be great, and we could even get to a Super Bowl or two....but sooner or later the team will start rolling their eyes at his gushing over enthusiastic speeches just like they did in Tampa Bay. Gruden is an ideal coach for younger teams.

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'd like to know what he thinks are the 'glaring needs'. He says 'we have definite needs at certain positions we must to fill this offseason' etc etc. For me it is D line, ILB, O line, kick returner and Safety. (that covers so many positions, can he be thinking the same way?)

17. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    I'll take 2 SB for Norv any day and twice on sundays.

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Well obviously its not that simple. I'm just saying Gruden is a short term guy as far as the NFL is concerned.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    2? He only went to one, and it was his 1st year with Tampe where he took over Dungy's team

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I and a few others are willing to take time out of our lives to help the chargers land some good talent this year in the draft. I feel its our duty even if not paid to help the chargers out.

21. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Maybe counting the Raiders since he ran that team before azz-raping them in the SB he won with the Bucs?

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Maybe

23. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

First, you guys are ignoring the Spanos stock on the market. New ownership always cleans house. Second, Norv is almost certainly gone after next season if we miss the playoffs again, which is very, very possible. If AJ wants to buy time he needs to have a far better than mediocre draft (he's loaded with picks), and needs to show some flexibility on free agency. Me, I don't expect either, Smith has shown himself to be very inflexible, and his drafts have underwhelmed for years now. And frankly, I don't think Norv coulda motivated the 70's Steelers.

24. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I think some of the questions where naive "who are you drafting?, will you fire X?, et" come on, he's not going to answer that

What I did get from his answers are that AJ (and possible Norv) is on notice, either have a productive draft or see ya

25. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    It was just what he might do if he came to San Diego. Though I would say Norv got handed a greater team then Gruden and failed far more. But I'm not implying Gruden is better then Norv. That would be crazy wouldn't it?

26. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    I could hear it now...

Norv: Guys! I need you to be ready for this game. If you win I promise to take you all out for ice cream and pumpkin pie. How's that sound?

Team: Yay!!!

*After a horrible playoff defeat*

Norv: Hey! How's ice cream sound?

Team: Booo!! &#&$!!