1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dear Hudson Houck lovers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    • Like Like x 1
  2. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    The QB has to be able to work with the O-Line. Can Daunte do it? :no:

He is no noodle armed QB :icon_mrgreen:

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Wasnt everyone last year saying that it was the loss of Hudson that kilt us?

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    I don' think is was as much the loss of Houck as it was the addition of Mauck . From the after season reports the OL did not responed well to the screamer.

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'm a little shocked at how poorly the Dolphins have played.

Better them than us. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    It's because they have an injured QB who cannot move up into the pocket and cannot throw on the run anymore...:lol:

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    The need to play Kendyl Jacox and Damion McIntosh.

:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Daunte is fine, physically. He's messed up mentally. He looks like Aaron Brooks out there.

9. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Daunte was never known for his mental prowess. I just dont get what Saban was thinking.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Saban was thinking of the years that Daunte would toss it up and Moss would go get it. Unfortunately, he forgott the year before when that didnt happen a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    Looked to me (and to several other NFL analyst as well) like he is not back near 100% from the knee yet...and some think he may never be...

12. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Agreed! But I really think it's equal parts physical and mental at this point. He's not 100% in either catagory and hence is struggling pretty bad right now.

14. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Brees isn't back from his shoulder injury but is far better than Dante IMHO.

15. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    Brees game is predicated on smarts and reading defenses and not his physical ability (or lack there of) ...Culpepper's game is solely dependent on physical ability (size, arm legs, speed, strength)...without his legs his arm is weaker and he is not at all mobile...he cannot get the ball past linebackers and into tiny areas anymore without his legs and cannot evade the rush like he used to...

16. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm glad Brees went to NO rather than Miami, since I can actually root for him.

17. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    ... and he never could read a defense. Chris Carter and Randy Moss bailed him out with the 9 route all the time.

The Dolphins do have a lack of talent on the OL, and it shows. But, the posters who have continually blasted Spanos/AJ for "letting Houck go" say HH could make diamonds out of coal when it came to offensive lineman. .... guess not ....

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I am surprised that HH hasn't had Fonoti in for a look-see. The Bucs cut him.

19. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Houck is one of the best O-Line coaches in the league. He did work miracles here in San Diego, but even a miracle worker can't pull it off all the time. The players need to have some talent and buy into what the coach is teaching them.

Fouts had bad seasons, but he was still a first ballot Hall of Fame member. Give him some ok talent with decent attitudes and he'll turn them into a very serviable line over time. Also houck has no control over how long Cullpepper holds onto the ball. They should have taken Brees, at least he can get rid of the ball quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I still say Houck is overrated.

Our 2003 OL was crappy. Our 2004 line had more talent than it looked. 2005 (after HH left) was injuries and infighting (caused by Carl Mauck).

Talent does win in the NFL, and I agree that Houck doesn't have a lot of talent to work with, and I agree that Culpepper holds the ball too long - BUT HH is portrayed by many posters as some sort of OL Wizard and that is just not the case. He's a good OL coach, but not as great as people have said, and probably not near the $$$ that Miami paid to acquire him.

I'm very happy with the job Jack Henry and Hal Hunter have done with this OL. Now, add a good guard to replace Goff and this OL can start to dominate.

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Agreed. Hunter and Henry have done a fine job. The O-line seems to be improving. Goff is really the only one on the line who seems like a placeholder for someone else. I think every other starter is pretty well set for the next 4-6 years, assuming Dielman signs an extension. I know that some Hardwick and Olivea-bashers will be saddened by the news, but these guys have been rock solid.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I agree that Hardwick does have some problems with big DT's, and can get pushed around some. However, IMO - he makes up for that with good pass protection and VERY good athleticism getting downfield to finish blocks.

Olivea and Dielman are exceptional at getting downfield and finishing blocks.

Dielman MUST be a priority for an extension.

You are right in that we are looking at 4/5ths of our OL of the future. Get Dielman signed longterm, then add a first day OG next draft and it's a done deal.

23. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Especially this:
    Random note to HBO: It's bad enough that ESPN can't show "Prime Time" anymore and Time Warner just dumped can't come to terms with the NFL Network. Now you're not showing highlights for every game on "Inside the NFL" anymore so you can devote more time to features about random people we don't care about, including this week's piece on an NFL photographer who was inexplicably dressed like Freddie Krueger? Why tinker with a show that everyone universally loved? I don't get it.

25. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    It's like they are programming the show for people that don't like football...insane....:icon_huh:

26. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    :icon_evil: Political correctness running wild and catering to the 1% of the population in the USA which happen not to like the NFL.:icon_evil:

27. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    That's why they can't run the ball?

28. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I know I said it. Miami is teh suxxor this year:mellow:

29. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    When Olivea hangs his *** by his arms so they grow another 4 feet, then he will he be ready for a tackle in the midget league but in the NFL?

Otherwise, it is almost as embarassing as watching Goff and then Hardwick.

Someone else said it better: "Give me a mother fugger like McNeil at the Right Tackle spot and then homie is happy otherwise we are trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ****" or maybe I just said that but anyway you get my drift. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  30. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Henry must be a genius, then, because that chicken shiit has given up 0 sacks, is rushing for 5.1 YPC, and dominated a very good defensive line last Sunday. Hainsworth, Vanden Bosch, and Bullock are no slouches, and our offense had its way with the Titans' front-seven. I can't entirely chalk that up to PR's godlike abilities or LT's individual skill. We ran effectively and PR had ample time to throw...

We're averaging 5.1 YPC and mostly against seven and eight man fronts geared up to stop LT. And that's with a rookie OLT and a group that is playing for a new line coach. That means they're only gonna get better. I don't think there's any lack of talent there. The only guy I see who is average is Goff, and at least he provides leadership for the group. I think he's definitely replaceable, but I'm more than happy with the other four guys thusfar.