1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dear Marty,

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Thank you for keeping your foot on the gas.

Thank you for letting the kids play ball.

Thank you for making me eat my words.

Thank you for making all those invading Steeler fans wipe their tears with there cute little yellow towels.

RTL

PS. Baltimore better not happen again.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    :nana_rasta:

3. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Actually, we saw Martyball at the end, when they ran straight ahead with goal to go. But since it was inside 2 mins and we were right there for easy field goal, nobody really minded.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    That wasn't Martyball. That was Smartyball. When a fieldgoal puts the game away inside two minutes and you are inside the 10, why the fock are you going to throw it?

Martyball seems to appear more on the road than at home, but I think the players and the other coaches are going to stay on Marty's *** and make sure he doesn't get too conservative.

5. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Last week, it was martyball, this week it wasn't. Like I said, I don't mind playing for the fieldgoal in that situation. If Nate misses and the stealers come back on us, this board is flooded with people crying we didn't go for the endzone and put them away and martyball lost it again.:icon_shrug:

6. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    You just called it Martyball. Now you're saying it wasn't. Make up your mind.

If Nate misses a 25 yard field goal and our defense gives up a TD with less than 2:00 to play, then anyone who blamed Martyball would be a fracking moron.

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    If we had the ball on the 28 yard line, then it would've qualified as the "bad" kind of Martyball. But it was a chip-shot field goal, a gimme, and extra-point, and at that point you might as well drain as much time from the clock as possible.

8. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    O, well thanks for making it clear to me. Missing 2 field goals and then giving up a td with a little over 2 mins is martyball. But when it works, it isn't. That's pretty much my point. Do you understand the words that I am typing?

Yes, and I think we all agree on that. Which is when Martyball is working. Or at least, nobody calls it that because we didn't lose. Nobody minds running out the game and playing it smart and conservative when the team is rolling and we in the position to put it away.

Bottom line is: We played Martyball, run run run kick to close out that game and it was the right thing to do. :icon_party:

9. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I never complain about this type of Martyball when the field goal seals the game. The problem I had with the Baltimore game is we started playing that way from the beginning of the second half.

There's a huge difference between using the running game to win the game when you're in a position to put the last nail in the opposing team's coffin, and trying to milk the clock down to zero when there's still 30 minutes of football to be played.

I'm a guy who defended Marty's decisions in the Jets playoff game and said the coach should be able to expect Kaeding to make that field goal when the field goal ends the game. But I think the thing that drove a LOT of us to Marty-bashing last week was that there was still a TON of game left to play when Marty slammed on the brakes in Baltimore.

10. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I have no problem with Martyball when we are two scores up in the 4th Quarter, but coming out in the entire second half and playing Martyball with a 1 score lead? That's stupid.

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    And don't fergit the kneel down!!:icon_evil:

:icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

12. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I thought Marty did an outstanding job. Seemed to be both aggressive and conservative at the right times.

GREAT JOB MARTY !!! :icon_banana: :bolt: :icon_toast: :icon_party:

• Like Like x 1
  13. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I thought after the 1st couple of series Marty/cam mixed it up real nicely. By time the 4th quarter came Pitt didn't know if we were going to pass or run. :icon_toast:

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    That wasn't Martyball at the end. Yeah, it would be nice to get the TD at the end, but the game was done at that point. When they are on the 7 at the 2 min warning, 1 TO left, that is the smart coaching decision. If he had pulled that out at the 44 and played for the punt when it was 2nd and 12, I would have thrown stuff at the TV.

The offense was not 1 dimensional last night and far from predictable.

Nice game plan Marty. Thanks for letting the kid play.

15. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    oic, if you miss two field goals and give up a drive at the end of the game, your plan sucks, but when you make those 2 field goals and seal it, your a genius.

How many of you were groaning about Martyball when we didn't go for it on 4 and inches?

16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +610
    Agree with boltssbbound, going for the FG was the smart thing to do, it wasn't a 40-50 yd FG it was basically a PAT, in this case "putting them away" would have been acomplished with a TD or a FG, the safe thing here was go for the FG

of course, the Philly game came thru my mind :icon_eek:

17. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Evidently, you don't see...

You're fixated on "playing for the field goal."

That's not what Martyball is about. Martyball is abandoning the passing game in order to play a much safer, clock-draining run-philosophy. And there are times when you do it, like late in the 4th quarter, and times when you don't do it, like early in the third quarter.

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I'm giving credit for letting the offense mixing it up. Throwing the ball as many times as we did (37, right?) is ok when you have the defense guessing. THe Steelers were on their heels the entire second half. Why? OFFENSIVE DIVERSITY. Throwing on 1st. Throwing on 2nd. Throwing on 3rd. Screens. Then running all over the place.

I just re-watched the game. 1st half, running up the gut wasn't working. Why? The passing game wasn't going yet. Once Philip connected with the reciever for a few big gains the D finally stopped stacking and started to give the pass a little attention, then BINGO, runs start to open up.

We lost Baltimore because everyone in the entire world knew what we were running. We won last night because NOBODY knew what we'd run next. Whenever I expected our offense to go into protect mode (7 points up), BOOM, Rivers drops back to pass on 1st down again. Perfect.

Great gameplan, and if I'm gonna hold Marty accountable for last weeks loss (and I most certainly do), then I'm gonna say "job well done" when we win a HUGE game like we did last night.

BTW, I also believe Martyball isn't dead, it will rear it's ugly head once again.

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I am one of the people who is the least critical of Marty. I don't think he's nearly as conservative as people make him out to be. I don't have a problem with running out the clock or playing it a bit more safe with the lead. But you can't play that way for an entire half and expect to win against good teams. In the Ravens game, we had a 3rd and 8 on our first possession of the 2nd half, and we ran the ball for no gain. Kaeding came in and missed a 40 yard field goal. Had we made that field goal the game would have essentially been over, but playing for the field goal with 25:00 left to play is a bit too conservative. That's Martyball.

Choosing to run the ball inside the 10, up by 7, with two minutes left is not Martyball. That's Smartyball.

20. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I dunno. I think the bigger problem was stupid penalties and 2 missed fg's. For all I care, if we make them, then there's not much discussion. Instead everyone's talking about how Marty kept his team under control and eased Rivers up to speed or something. I don't really get it, but I guess I'll just have to trust the infinite wisdom of this board.

Nobody seems to mind leaving the door open for the stealers, because we won. I'm sure if something went wrong, everyone is crying "Marty you should go for it trust your players!"

The philosophy is the same. It's all it that thread that guy made that pointed out how much we threw the ball in those losses last year. It's the same thing. :icon_shrug:

And I replied to this stupid thread 3 freaking times and the servers not helping me goddamnit:icon_evil: