1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Defense no longer wins championships

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Era of 'defense wins championships' is over

Rest in peace, defense. We’ll miss you. You had a good run. You gave us a lot of memories. You were responsible for great nicknames like the Purple People Eaters and the Steel Curtain. You even gave us a cliché -- “Defense wins championships” -- that had the added benefit of being true ... for a time. But that time is over.

The Broncos scored 35 points in the divisional round in single-digit temperatures. And lost. The Packers scored 31 points and lost. The Seahawks and Texans both scored 28 points and saw their seasons end. The losing teams in the second round of the playoffs averaged 30.5 points per game. The winners averaged 38.5. This is not the NFL you grew up with. These are closer to Big Ten basketball scores than traditional playoff football scores.

But adapt or die. Die like defense has died. NFL teams must learn to play “defense” -- or whatever new name it is eventually given -- in modern times. Here’s how.

Bend and break

Look, you’re going to give up points. That’s a given. But does it have to be instantly? At least make your opponent go on a three- or four-minute scoring drive so your offense can rest a little bit between its scoring drives.

Don’t spend money on “defense”

Why spend big money on a pass-rusher or defensive back that could instead be budgeted for an extra tight end or dynamic third-down back? Your defense is going to get torched regardless, so why waste money on it? Oh, look! Your $10 million linebacker got to the quarterback! And now he’s being penalized for roughing the passer. Money well spent.

Don’t commit penalties

Most forms of tackling are now outlawed. Defensive pass interference is called approximately seven million times more than offensive pass interference (rough estimate). This is not going to change. Don’t fight it. And don’t give your opponent free yards with your penalties. Why are you jumping offsides? Did you want to get a head-start on your fine for hitting the quarterback? No, it’s better to avoid penalties and just try to gently angle your offensive opponents out of bounds after they break into the secondary. Getting them out of bounds can stop the clock and give your offense more time to catch its breath.

Give up fast late-game scores

Your team is winning by four points with 90 seconds left in the game. What do you do? Try to stop your opponent from scoring a touchdown? AHHHHHHHHHHHahahahahahaha. Stop living in the past, man. Chances are you’re not going to stop them from scoring a touchdown. What you need to do is practice smart defensive failure clock management and let them score a touchdown immediately. That way you get the ball back in the hands of your offense with enough time to win the game with a touchdown of its own.

Know your role

Look, you play defense. Not everyone can be important like offensive players or even kickers, who score points. You are now regarded as the equals of punters: something that has been part of football for decades and no one can figure out how to completely get rid of. But you still have some worth. Because sometimes a quarterback will accidentally throw you the ball and you can catch it and run with it and score a touchdown, and for that brief moment you will know what it’s like to be relevant. And it will feel amazing.

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    this is a bad time for our defense to be the side of the ball with the talent...

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I don't know. I think it gives us the edge going forward because they don't have to worry about that as much and can, instead focus mainly on the offense.

Just because "defense wins championships" isn't quite as true as it once was doesn't mean you can get by with a shotty defense.

One weekend of high scoring playoff football doesn't diminish the importance of defense that much, no matter how much a sports writer wants to suggest it does because it provides him material to work with.

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,218
    Like I always said, the team with the most points at the end of the game wins...

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    Very funny stuff, but sad b/c it's sort of true.

6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Give me a good old fashioned 7 to 6 slugfest any day.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    That didn't work out so well for us against Cleveland :(

8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +306
    Ineptitude by both teams doesn't = slugfest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +520
    the broncos scored 21 points on offense

10. SatchBolt

SatchBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Funny stuff!

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    Dumb. It'll probably end up being a Raven & 49er SuperBowl and we'll be hearing that nauseating cliche again.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Until next year!

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I'm actually predicting Patriots/9ers

But, you're right, if it does wind up that Super Bowl, or even if the 49ers beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl, the "defense wins championships" brigade will be back in full force.

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Defense win Championships has always been a false statement.

Scoring more points than the other team, be it on O, D or ST wins Championships....

Just sayin...

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    Called it!

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +226
    You most certainly did! :tup:

18. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    To be honest I didn't really want the 9ers to win. I was stoked that the falcons were winning, I like it when offenses go at it against strong defenses. Still the 9ers and Ravens continue to give credibility to this statement. Defense WINS championships.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Defense doesn't win championships. Offense doesn't win championships.

I know I'm ripping Conc off from earlier in the thread, but scoring more points than the other team wins championships.

It sounds like a lame attempt at sarcastic humor, but it really is the bottom line truth.

It doesn't matter if you make a living stopping the other team from scoring and winning 13-3 or if you outpace them all the time and win 49-28. If you score more than them you'll win.

The Colts won with offense. The Patriots won with offense. The Rams won with offense. The Saints won with offense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Let's see, what do both the Falcons and Patriots have in common with the Chargers?

They put up 0 points in the 2nd half!

Both the 49ers and Ravens played some damn good defense today. I can't wait for the Super Bowl, it can really go either way, the Ravens just know how to stay in the ball game and it seems like they get stronger as the game goes on. The 49ers are just explosive, I can't wait it'll be great.

By the way, how salty was Belicheck after the game? Poor CBS got snubbed and Shannon Sharpe let him have it!

So I do think defense wins championships..

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    The Ravens are more of an offensive team this year, btw.

22. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I agree, but you shut the Patriots out at home in the 2nd half, and held them to 13 points. Also, given Belicheck and Brady's unbelievable record when leading at halftime, still the Ravens beat the odds.

And the 49ers shut down the Falcons. The Falcons score on that last play, they win. They made the stop, defense won them the game.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    It won them that game, but what makes that game any more meaningful in their run to a potential championship than the high scoring barn burners last week?

Sure, defense won the game for both of today's winners. But last week offense won it for both of them.

The only underlying constant in both weeks is the team who scored the most points won.

There's more than one way to accomplish that goal, but that goal and that goal only is what wins games. It doesn't matter how it gets done so long as it gets done.

24. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    Still you have to believe that having a formidable defense is in line with winning.

Colts in 2006 had a great season of Defense especially with DPOY Bob Sanders leading it.
    2007 Giants speak for themselves
    2008 Steelers see above
    2009 although they were heavily Offense led team, they did have a physical defense(even if it game off bounty hits)
    2010 Packers had DPOY Matthews and Arod was on fire that playoffs.

So a hot hand at QB and a defense that gets takeaways is the minimum to winning the super bowl the last few seasons and imo the entire history of the game.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Of course you have to have a good defense. You also have to have a good offense.

I don't think the cliche is meant to imply that you just have to have a good defense. I think it's meant to imply that the only teams that'll win championships are those that build the defense as their strength and rely on offense just enough to win.

The teams I cited were the other way around. Of course they had good defenses, but that wasn't their forte.

All of the greatest defensive teams in the NFL that won Super Bowls didn't exactly have pushover offenses either and you can name offensive stars on those teams just like you're naming defensive stars on the offensive teams that won.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Turning the ball over and not scoring TDs in the red zone are why teams lose.

Sometimes, that's due to good defense, and sometimes it's self inflicted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    This is funny considering the two, physical, D first teams are now in the superbowl and they beat the two air it out offenses.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    9'ers O had nothing to do with it? :cautious:

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    If I were to believe some of the nincompoops in here the chargers should have a zillion Lombardi's by now. They have historically been known as a team that can score points, they just could never STOP the other team from scoring points. I wonder what that means?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Or we can believe the nincompoop I am quoting to wonder why the Chargers dont have any Lombardis when they have had the leagues #1 ranked defense no less than 3 times... How does your logic fit that scenario oh lord Nincompoopypants?;)

You win with multiple facets of the game. Period. The only team that I remember winning with only one facet of the game was the Ravens. Otherwise, the D, O and ST all have to do their part. To suggest otherwise, and then point fingers at others is just about the pinnacle of 'dumb-spots-fan-syndrome' if I have ever seen it.

• Agree Agree x 1