1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Defense no longer wins championships

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Not saying it didn't, but these are 2 defensive based teams, and if you argue that, you've never watched them play. The Defense is the driving force behind these teams.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    I just cant agree with you there. How many point did either D score?

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    It means they have always failed at scoring more points than the other team come playoff time.

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    This is one year. Offensive based teams have won it multiple times before.

Indy, New Orleans, St Louis, Dallas, Denver, New England.

You can probably argue that each one of those teams had good defenses, but you'd also be contradicting yourself since you were reminding Concudan that the 9ers are a Defensive based team after he pointed out that their offense is contributing to their run.

5. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Well its just stupid to say that you only need one side of the ball to win a championship, you never have been and you never will be able to win one without both sides. But the argument that you cant win a championship with a defensive based team was funny to me because there's 2 defensive based teams in the super bowl now. You need both sides of the ball to win a championship, and its stupid to think otherwise. But as i said before, i felt like this thread was a notion that defensive based teams cant win championships anymore because Offenses are too powerful, and you can see a defensive based team can absolutely still beat a high octain offense.

And i'm not even going to dignify the "how many points did either defense score" comment with a response...

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    To call either the 9'ers or Ravens a defensive based team is just as inaccurate. What because they have Ray Lewis they are a defensive based team? They are a balanced team. You call it what you want but it is myopic to say the least to discount 2 facets of the game to meet your narrow criteria.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Exactly, and this is all that really needs to be said on the subject.

The "defense wins championships" cliche suggests that you can't win a championship with an offensive based team, which is all I have been responding to.

But yeah, the original post's argument was just as dumb.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    I must have struck a nerve, all the nincompoops are out in force today. Must be the holiday and they've nothing better to do!

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    If you think the only people who respond to you are those who are upset at what you posted then sure.

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    I didn't point out any certain individual. Besides, no matter how you cut it, if the defense does it's job somebody ain't scoring enough points.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Not if the offense doesn't score more points.

A whole fat lot of good the messily 7 points we held Cleveland to earlier this year did us.

12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    The Browns defense kept the Bolt's out of the end zone all day, but defense doesn't win games.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Did they?

It seems to me they left Robert Meachem wide open for an easy touchdown and got lucky that he dropped the pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    toMAYtoe toMAHtoe.... :rolleyes:

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    See how good a tough defense works. Meachem was so scared of getting hit that he couldn't even hang on to one simple catch, that's defense at it's finest.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Save the watches... It is too late for our shoes.... :laugh:

17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Actually, the 49ers didn't advance this far until they added the "big play"aspect to their offense. The Ravens, as well, are a team that can beat you with the big play. It's their ability to score quickly (and with only a few plays) that makes them dangerous..... and successful.

With Alex Smith, the 49ers were a ball control offense, that played it safe and didn't turn the ball over, but they weren't explosive. They had to string a lot of plays together to score. They had to rely on their defense to keep the games low scoring. With Kaepernick at the helm, they now have that extra dimension. Despite the fact that these are both very good defensive teams, they also have the ability to put up points, even when there's little time on the clock. This isn't the old Ravens, or the Alex Smith 49ers.