1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Defense Wins Championships

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    How many years now have we watched our D make average Qbs look like the second coming of Marino or Montana?

D needs to be addressed BIG TIME this offseason.

New SS
    New DEs
    New ILBs
    ect.

With our offense as potent as it is, if we had a D like Baltimore or Pitt we would be unstoppable.

FIX IT AJ.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You are correct. I am not sure we need wholesale changes. I think that getting Merriman back will help, and perhaps a stud in FA.

We HAVE to find Jamal's replacement/backup. As Jamal goes so does the D.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I agree, our defense was disgustingly defensive yesterday.:bolt:

4. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    How I would fix it:

Sign Albert Haynesworth (to spell Jamal and possibly play DE)
    Draft Taylor Mays
    Draft future nose tackle and DE
    Draft a guy who EXCELS in coverage at ILB

Make sure Hart, Wilhelm, Olshansky, Gordon, and Gregory never set foot in SD again.

Anyone think maybe (if Rivera stays), just maybe, we should think about switching back to a 4-3? Seems all the good teams left are playing it, and I think we have the right guys to make the move now. All we'd need to do is add a couple guys here and there.

5. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    They could fix the defense in one move and that would be to bring pressure on 3rd down instead of that god awful prevent zone crap they have been doing for years.

6. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    The prevent defense, prevents you from winning.

Need some studs on the D line. Sorry Igor, you've had your chance. Jamal has done one helluva job but age has caught him. Castillo I'd keep for now (only because we'd eat it on his contract). Wilhelm, sayonara. With Dobbins, Applewhite, Siler, who can hit and tackle, you're done. Hart, Gregory, see ya! I think we have enough depth to cover the loss of this crew.

7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I'm not a fan of the prevent but I can't say much for the efficacy of our blitzes.

The playcalling looks good IMO. Seems like a personell issue.

Merriman should improve things but we're pretty thin if we live and die on a single player.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    FA options (remember, AJ's not a big time FA picker-uper, he likes more middle of the road guys)

If you want a new SS, I'd very seriously consider grabbing either Sean Jones or Jermaine Phillips in FA. Both are hard
    hitters, Jones is solid in coverage too and well known for run stopping. He'd be a very good compliment to Weddle. Another person to think about is Dawan Landry; ravens are swimming in good safeties and they might consider trading or putting a low tag on Landry.

For DE, again in FA, Chris Canty was someone alot of charger fans had their eye on in the 2005 draft. He's a little like Castillo but a better run stopper (and I speak in talent) and beat out 1st rounder Marcus Spears in production and performance. Might also want to consider Bertrand Berry out of Arizona, big former 4-3 DE that still has good pass rushing skills.

ILB, Mike Peterson. Solid as a leader and a run stopper. Has had a real falling out with the coaches in Jacksonville, could be had for a song. Maybe think of Karlos Dansby (probably expensive) or Bart Scott.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man RTL, we must be on the same wavelength (or both just crazy) but I swear I said the exact same thing almost word for word to my "Boltbros" who live and die Charger Blue and Gold. I told them man, we need a acquire a SHUT DOWN D like the Ravens or Pitt to win it all. We have the Offense, QB, WR's, RB's etc. It's getting that nasty DEFENSE that can terrorize opponents, shut down the run and kill the QB. That "Take No Prisoners Defense" Once we get those types of players and scheme, we will win it all. Merriman, Coop, Cro, Jammer, Phillips, Jamal, Cason and Weddle (almost) fit the bill. Everyone else does not. I agree with many of the posters on here we need to draft or pick up some serious BEEF and big nasties in the middle that are just killers. Guys like Foley and Godfrey. Now those dudes were half psychotic but can flat out BALL on D. THAT's who AJ should look for. We are close guys but when you have ball hawks on D, you end up like the Steelers and Ravens. Contending for the chance to advance to the Super Bowl. We can get there guys. We just need the personel. (and a new coordinator if Rivera accepts the Lions job)

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We NEED defensive lineman now! Igor is gone, we all understand that. But, if AJ doesn't make an effort at getting a lineman with either or first pick, or in free agency, we all know what will happen. Cesaire will simply slide into Igor's spot, and some scrub that gets cut from another team's camp will take his place on the bench. This is unexceptable!

11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    BADASS D-LINEMEN > ILBS WHO CAN RUNSTUFF, COVER, AND TACKLE!!!! > SS WHO CAN COVER AND HIT PEOPLE SO HARD THEIR BRAINS SQUIRT OUT THEIR EARHOLES

in that order of importance right now

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Exactly:tup:

Even Ray Lewis has admitted that defensive lineman are the most important ingredient to his success. They make everyone's job much easier, because they require the most attention from the offense.

Imagine having just one incredible interior DE/DT. A guy who can rush the passer like Kevin Williams or Tommie Harris. Opposing teams would have to account for him with extra blockers, suddenly freeing up guys to blitz up the middle, and taking pressure off Phillips and Merriman. QB's wouldn't be able to step up into the pocket, and for once our interior pressure would send qb's into the waiting arms of our edge rushers. A dominating interior rusher who can come in on passing downs would MAKE A BIGGER IMPACT THAN ANY OTHER PLAYER WE COULD GET.

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I like your thinking Ant (at least we have names!):

Great points people. A dominating D lineman should be the TOP priority for AJ. You know he's already working on it. At least I hope he is. If the Steelers can make a UFA (Harrison) the Def. player of the year, we can do the same. GET US SOME BIG NASTIES ON THE D-LINE!!!

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    [​IMG]
    BEEF.
    It's what's for drafting.

15. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    AGREED WE NEED THE NEXT RONNIE LOTT !!!!