1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive Ends

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Apr 19, 2009.

1. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    I know that since I-gor left we are going to need a defensive end...
    I saw this guy on a draft review:

9. DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose St: 6-5.2, 288, 4.81 40 yards; good blend of size and agility; amazed scouts by jumping out of the shallow end of a swimming pool and landing on his feet; played four positions on the defensive line and had 9.5 sacks in ’08.

Any other info on him?

Any other possibles DE's in the draft for us?

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, the Chargers think enough of him to bring him in for a look:
    03/22/09 - San Jose State Pro day: Cal Poly wideout Ramses Barden is getting most of the media attention due to another solid peformance, but the word among scouts is that Spartans' defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert was the most impressive player at the San Jose State-Cal Poly-etc. Pro Day that occurred Friday. Twenty seven teams were represented at the workout, including head coaches Rex Ryan of the New York Jets and John Fox of the Carolina Panthers. Gilbert was the most impressive of the bunch, turning in a 4.76 40-yard dash at 6-5, 284 pounds. He also improved upon his already impressive Combine performances in the broad jump (10'7"), vertical (37"), short shuttle (4.40) and 3-cone (7.59). Typically, the collegiate coaches or scouts will put the players through the workouts. This workout was different, however, as Ryan took over the DL drills and worked Gilbert especially hard. Gilbert would seem to be a perfect fit in the Jets' 3-4 scheme at defensive end. The Jets will have plenty of competition in landing Gilbert's services, however, as he's lined up several private workouts already, including: Detroit, Dallas, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Diego, and Atlanta. - Rob Rang, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Despite the fact that this guy went to my alma mater, I must admit that I know next to nothing about him. But he sounds like a late bloomer who was productive in his last season at SJSU and has tremendous athleticism. If this kid has the motor, he could be really good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The issue with Gilbert is that at his level with his measureables he should've been absolutely dominating from top to bottom. The light never fully came on with him and there's question about his heart and determination.

I'll throw a few other names

Kyle Moore USC - no one's entirely sure what to do with him but has a great motor and great potential
    Ricky Jean-Francois LSU - Has character questions but his measureables are really impressive and when he can get one on one he can dominate
    Vance Walker GA Tech - Really talented with good hustle and determination but no one's sure about how well he can do in a 3-4

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't know, 9.5 sacks and 22 tackles for loss in 12 games are pretty good numbers. I think saying his numbers aren't dominant enough for the level of competition he faced is a specious argument. Consider that Demarcus Ware played at Troy and played much weaker competition than Jarron did at SJSU. Ware's numbers for his senior season were 10.5 sacks and 19 tackles for loss-pretty comparable to Jarron Gilbert. Now I'm not saying that Gilbert will be as good as Demarcus Ware, just pointing out that they had similar college-level production.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Gilbert is very much a boom-or-bust player. He doesn't have much for a body of work to reliably evaluate.

He'll go early to mid-second. I'd like to see him succeed, but a 1st is too high IMO.